IGNORED

Sunderland, Burton, Barnsley,

Redmycolour

We are a very average team that had a period of over achievement. 

We thought we'd 'made it' with our cup run and plaudits, but we overlooked how one-dimensional we are.  

Teams adapted and we had nowhere to go. 

The excuses are no longer available as we now have as full a squad as we're ever likely to have. 

But there is no clear explanation for our form or clear way forward. 

We've done better than I'd expected this year, but we'll settle a long way from what looked possible. 

LJ has improved but he isn't adaptable and is easily out-foxed but far too many managers. 

Workmanlike teams render our pretty football null. 

More of the the same next year (long periods of poor form) I anticipate although a finish around 17th in the table. That will be astonishingly poor given the increased spending. 

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You don't simply beat teams just because they are at the bottom end of the table.  I take it you saw Sunderland beat Derby 4-1 yesterday?

I agree you don't simply beat teams because there at the bottom of table,BUT you expect them too,and yes I watched Sunderland Derby game,

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You don't simply beat teams just because they are at the bottom end of the table.  I take it you saw Sunderland beat Derby 4-1 yesterday?

In isolation your comment is, of course, sensible.  When it happens again and again (and again), that's when frustration has far more validity. 

If we lose to the bottom team at home, there may be some sense in saying "the top team lost to them last week too". But our form is poor and long. 

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

We thought we'd 'made it' with our cup run and plaudits, but we overlooked how one-dimensional we are.  

The excuses are no longer available as we now have as full a squad as we're ever likely to have. 

We've done better than I'd expected this year, but we'll settle a long way from what looked possible. 

LJ has improved but he isn't adaptable and is easily out-foxed but far too many managers. 

More of the the same next year (long periods of poor form) I anticipate although a finish around 17th in the table. That will be astonishingly poor given the increased spending. 

not like you to be so positive......

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

not like you to be so positive......

Cheers. 

I've said LJ has improved. We've done better than I'd anticipated. 

Tbh - I'm left scratching my head what would be acceptable next season. Spending on players is rocketing but so is everyone else's. 

Iron out the peaks and troughs a bit and finish mid-table. I'll take that. 

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Happy days! Last two years we were a POOR side at this level. To be an average side, and to have overperformed in several memorable games this season means that 2017-18 has been a great result.

Don't forget, we go into next season with a squad that has another year of Championship experience behind them. Less self-doubt and wiser. All bodes well in our quest to establish ourselves at this level.

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Funny how Millwall have now disappeared from that list of teams....lots of people were bemoaning the fact we only drew with them earlier in the season and put them in the same bracket as Burton, Sunderland etc...not anymore! What a run they are on...coming up on the rails!

Coming up on the rails and, in my opinion, very likely to finish above us.

Their progress, along with Sheffield United, makes a mockery of the trotted out excuses by many on here about resources / established Championship team / higher wages etc.......

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that one of them may get successive promotions.

Clearly I haven't seen much of either team but they have shown what is possible with a tacticaly astute coaching team and an unbreakable will to do as well as they possibily can.

I also doubt that any senior staff member as either club suggested that they weren't looking for promotion - had they been asked that question I am sure they would have discounted the possibility because they truly believed it wasn't possible - they may still feel that way.

They of course may well not make the top 6 but they have shown what is possible with much less money spent than we have.

I read an interesting point on here yesterday and it is a very valid point - the core of our current first team stretches back to the Div 1 winning team - it is interesting to look at how many of the 20+ players that have come in since then have actually made a true impact, some yes, but the majority no.

It is also interesting to look at players who cost money - e.g. Engvall and Moore who have made zero impact.

Now, in some ways their fees are mid to lower level for this league - for teams such as the two mentioned above and Preston, who could easily finish above us too, they are fees for players they would expect to play most weeks.

Regardless of where we finish this year there has to be a real look internally at the success of our recruitment policy, both permanent and loan.

The January window alone justifies deep scrutiny - it currently looks a complete waste of money.

cotswold is clearly 'glass 90% empty', poor chap. To say Lj is out foxed by too many managers is total rubbish. You need to look at the more experienced managers he has out foxed this season and the list is, most of them in our league, starting with Wolves (away) with a great draw, Warnock (home) and so on and so on)

Long periods of poor form. Your memory and maths clearly need some help!

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Their progress, along with Sheffield United, makes a mockery of the trotted out excuses by many on here about resources / established Championship team / higher wages etc.......

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that one of them may get successive promotions.

Clearly I haven't seen much of either team but they have shown what is possible with a tacticaly astute coaching team and an unbreakable will to do as well as they possibily can.

I also doubt that any senior staff member as either club suggested that they weren't looking for promotion - had they been asked that question I am sure they would have discounted the possibility because they truly believed it wasn't possible - they may still feel that way.

They of course may well not make the top 6 but they have shown what is possible with much less money spent than we have.

I read an interesting point on here yesterday and it is a very valid point - the core of our current first team stretches back to the Div 1 winning team - it is interesting to look at how many of the 20+ players that have come in since then have actually made a true impact, some yes, but the majority no.

It is also interesting to look at players who cost money - e.g. Engvall and Moore who have made zero impact.

Now, in some ways their fees are mid to lower level for this league - for teams such as the two mentioned above and Preston, who could easily finish above us too, they are fees for players they would expect to play most weeks.

Regardless of where we finish this year there has to be a real look internally at the success of our recruitment policy, both permanent and loan.

The January window alone justifies deep scrutiny - it currently looks a complete waste of money.

:clap:

Very good post

As i said - If and when we lose our current most important components in Reid / Bryan / and the still massively undervalued Flint (massively important as a figurehead and attitude on top of his footballing assets) (All here solince L1) the same recruitment process and personnel will set out with their laptops to replace them

Lets hope (Looking at the current status / progress of those players ) that there are more O’Dowdas than Engvalls, Taylor Moore’s ,Giefers , Woodrows , Eliassons , Dionys or Kent’s ...........

My area of greatest concern , not convinced at all by the level / quality of our recruitment 

but typing those names I wonder whether LJ gets the best of most ? Some ? A few ? Some ? Of our squad as there is some undoubted ability amongst those names

He pulled a master stroke with Bobby and others have certainly continued to improve (Pack, Flint , Bobby For sure ) 

Is it coincidence that these and there’s certainly an argument JB has improved that these were all promotion winners already - Self focused ?

Is there obvious improvement in those we’ve recruited - In not so sure tbh

The pathway and introduction of Lloyd Kelly and to a minor degree Zak is a positive and to Lee and the clubs credit

The side were also clearly well coached and drilled pre season and have played some of the best football I’ve seen from a City side so nothing but credit to Lee and staff there

Personally I’m at a loss as to why we moved away from the previous Xmas approach / playing ethos ,

of course we need a plan b and c at times but our ‘Plan B’ is muddled and appears to have replaced Plan A rather than be a second option , which is a shame , and a mistake in my view

(Lee has himself demonstrated how hard / brave it actually is to use a young player when you don’t have to , with an obvious perceived gamble on them , when you sre near the top or bottom of any league but I can easily understand that)

Maybe those totally focussed on our current league position may consider their thoughts on the future if we don’t get our recruitment right moving forward 

the plan to recruit and develop players is both an admirable and potentially exciting one (and financially prudent if successful)

When we set out on this path I said to do it successfully we need to be better at both Recruitment and development (And absolutely at one at least) of numerous other clubs who have a similar idea

Currently the spine core and key components in our side and predominant reasons for a overall very decent season are players that were here before LJ but have performed and improved / stepped up under his reign

The reason they have improved / stepped up at this level and whether LJ has played the major part is pivotal IMO as I’m not convinced by our strategy or quality of our (Muddled IMO) recruitment or that the vast majority of players recruited have improved to any degree 

Wont go down well with those that don’t look below the surface ..... but hey ho

:whistle:

The formula might work if you have the right person in charge of recruitment. Although everyone quotes our League 1 winning team as being the spine of this team, actually we have SO'D to thank for Fielding, Flint, & Pack, plus Reid & Bryan were in his first team squad if not always featuring. The only player that Cotts brought in who still remains is Smith. They were all players who were recruited younger and have grown with us. I know SO'D was miserable, our form was terrible & we were hugely  reliant on JET to get us out of trouble in that half season in League 1, but many of the seeds sown then have borne fruit in this current team, still chasing promotion (albeit not well at present) in the league above.

Johnson could point to Reid, Brownhill & O'Dowda as younger fringe players he has either brought on or in the latter 2 both brought in & brought on. Plus the acquisitions of Wright, Baker, Pisano & Diedhoui point to us doing something right. And finally if Kelly & Vyner, plus say McCoulsky could make it at this level next season that would also be pretty impressive for player development.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think calling us very average is harsh tbh.

Yeah, did some believe the hype...I think they did?

Adapted yes they did..but when they adapt, we need to adapt- like a game of chess in some ways! We now have the squad to do this at this level- more than we have had since...anyone know?

Had a big debilitating effect through the Winter and early Spring however.

There are ways forward potentially, but is LJ brave or imaginative enough to find them, to put them into place? That is a question that could help determine the next year or 2.

We have tailed off sharply.

Fully agree- fully agree- he does not adapt sufficiently from game-to-game or in-game itself- QPR at home being a key notable exception! A big Achilles heel moving forward...

Yes- 'earn the right to play' still very applicable at this level.

Bit unoptimstic, I'd say 12th or somethng like that. Mind you, I doubt the 3 relegated sides this year from PL will be at a level of such disarray as Hull and Sunderland have been this season!

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Great post...totally agree...

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Good post. Just to pick up on your last point, for me, it's more about the positions we didn't address. In particular the failure to bring in a right back. 

We were flogging the back 4 to death during our run in the cup and signing someone in that position could have given us more scope to rest Wright, Flint and Baker in particular. It also would have meant we didn't have to faff about using Smith in and Brownhill in there. 

A midfielder who was ready to start games would have been nice as well, given the workload of Smith, Pack and Josh, with O'Neill, O'Dowda and the BFG being injured. 

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Am I right that we are only outside the play offs on goal difference, after two seasons of relegation battles? Just checking

Indeed you are correct. 

At close of play on boxing day we were in the automatic spots on goal difference. 15 games and 15 points later, we're playing catch up. 

Unsurprisingly it's a topic of conversation. 

11 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Indeed you are correct. 

At close of play on boxing day we were in the automatic spots on goal difference. 15 games and 15 points later, we're playing catch up. 

Unsurprisingly it's a topic of conversation. 

And where were we this time last season, seems to me massive congratulatioons due for the improvement, wouldnt you agree?

Debates fine, balanced arguement helps

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

And where were we this time last season, seems to me massive congratulatioons due for the improvement, wouldnt you agree?

Debates fine, balanced arguement helps

Lower than we are now!

Agree that we should all be happy with the improved league position. The concern I believe is that we've gone on another poorish run. 

Not sure anything I've posted here is particularly unbalanced mind?

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Happy days! Last two years we were a POOR side at this level. To be an average side, and to have overperformed in several memorable games this season means that 2017-18 has been a great result.

Don't forget, we go into next season with a squad that has another year of Championship experience behind them. Less self-doubt and wiser. All bodes well in our quest to establish ourselves at this level.

I think this squad may have played at their peak this season, and where they don’t hit those levels, they find the "fine margins" (Sorry!) in this league mean they find themselves playing like a side back in the pack of teams that are mid/lower half of the table.  The team find it difficult to raise themselves out of an ever age performance.

Thats not a huge criticism, I just think perhaps we got a bit carried away pre-Xmas.  Having said that I still think a mini-run of returned form, will see us get 6th place, but it be attritional, scraping wins and draws, rather than the impressive style before the turn of the year.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:clap:

Very good post

As i said - If and when we lose our current most important components in Reid / Bryan / and the still massively undervalued Flint (massively important as a figurehead and attitude on top of his footballing assets) (All here solince L1) the same recruitment process and personnel will set out with their laptops to replace them

Lets hope (Looking at the current status / progress of those players ) that there are more O’Dowdas than Engvalls, Taylor Moore’s ,Giefers , Woodrows , Eliassons , Dionys or Kent’s ...........

My area of greatest concern , not convinced at all by the level / quality of our recruitment 

but typing those names I wonder whether LJ gets the best of most ? Some ? A few ? Some ? Of our squad as there is some undoubted ability amongst those names

He pulled a master stroke with Bobby and others have certainly continued to improve (Pack, Flint , Bobby For sure ) 

Is it coincidence that these and there’s certainly an argument JB has improved that these were all promotion winners already - Self focused ?

Is there obvious improvement in those we’ve recruited - In not so sure tbh

The pathway and introduction of Lloyd Kelly and to a minor degree Zak is a positive and to Lee and the clubs credit

The side were also clearly well coached and drilled pre season and have played some of the best football I’ve seen from a City side so nothing but credit to Lee and staff there

Personally I’m at a loss as to why we moved away from the previous Xmas approach / playing ethos ,

of course we need a plan b and c at times but our ‘Plan B’ is muddled and appears to have replaced Plan A rather than be a second option , which is a shame , and a mistake in my view

(Lee has himself demonstrated how hard / brave it actually is to use a young player when you don’t have to , with an obvious perceived gamble on them , when you sre near the top or bottom of any league but I can easily understand that)

Maybe those totally focussed on our current league position may consider their thoughts on the future if we don’t get our recruitment right moving forward 

the plan to recruit and develop players is both an admirable and potentially exciting one (and financially prudent if successful)

When we set out on this path I said to do it successfully we need to be better at both Recruitment and development (And absolutely at one at least) of numerous other clubs who have a similar idea

Currently the spine core and key components in our side and predominant reasons for a overall very decent season are players that were here before LJ but have performed and improved / stepped up under his reign

The reason they have improved / stepped up at this level and whether LJ has played the major part is pivotal IMO as I’m not convinced by our strategy or quality of our (Muddled IMO) recruitment or that the vast majority of players recruited have improved to any degree 

Wont go down well with those that don’t look below the surface ..... but hey ho

:whistle:

Fantastic post in addition to the original from @ScottishRed.

Recruitment is key....and it’s been inconsistent.  If LJ came out and said we are going to buy in bulk and play a bit if a numbers game, e.g. for every 2 or 3 that don’t work out, we’ll find a starlet, I’d accept that.  Perhaps paying a little less for each of them too!

But everyone who has come in of late, has been bigged up.

Lets assume Engvall ain’t coming back, then that’s a £1.5m signing that failed.  I was gonna call it a gamble, but I think that’s generous.  £1.5m is a lot of money to get wrong.  £0.5m, I think we’d all be less critical.

O’Dowda - the "plus" for LJ.  Although if you’re being critical, you’d say that last season he very much flattered to deceive (worked hard, but little end product), and only got going this season after the home game at Leeds, where I left very frustrated by him.  The first goal I likened to constipation and we saw some real promise from that point (6-8 games worth) until injury v Hull.

Taylor Moore.  I think he’s the breakpoint for LJ.  If he becomes a regular match day 18 player next season, then he might tip LJ into credit for those ‘not for the now’.  I think he’s good enough, and you’d have to question our recruitment AND coaching, for a player to be an England u19 captain, to drift off the radar.  The trend of bit-part Champ player to League 1 loanee, to League 2 loanee, is worrying.  Walsh will be closely scrutinised too at £1m.

Let’s also provide balance with Brownhill (tribunal), who’s done well, and Pisano (free), who despite a really bad injury has looked a good signing, despite lack of games.

The bigger signings of Diedhiou and Baker have worked, but on evidence, imagine if we’d paid £5-6m for Diony.

I think LJ is fortunate that SL has backed him as much as he has.

I think he has a blind spot or maybe it’s rose-tinted specs when recruiting the younger / youngish players.  He should know the failure rate.

This summer will be transfer window number 5 for him.  I’ve acknowledged previously that he did need to bring numbers into a small number Cotts Squad, but he should no longer need to boost numbers, it should be about boosting quality.  I’d like to give him the benefit of City being in a financially difficult position against the big-boys in this division, but we are better (£-wise) placed  than Preston, Brentford, Millwall, and probably Sheffield Utd, yet we are all in a similar position.

We need to be more frugal in our recruitment, those sides mentioned above, are doing it better than us.  Those sides are proving its possible to spend up to £500k, and have players perfectly capable of having an impact at this level.  For all MA’s hard-ball, I wonder if City are becoming known as a club who’ll overspend on youngish players?

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Genuine question. Would you rather we finished 7th ,or got beat in the play off final at Wembley?  ( I'm talking purely football here , not financial costs to fans  or financial benefit to the club ).

Got to be Wembley and a play off final .

Good but painful experience for our players and staff that could help them in the long run .

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Recruitment is key....and it’s been inconsistent.  If LJ came out and said we are going to buy in bulk and play a bit if a numbers game, e.g. for every 2 or 3 that don’t work out, we’ll find a starlet, I’d accept that.  Perhaps paying a little less for each of them too!

But everyone who has come in of late, has been bigged up.

Lets assume Engvall ain’t coming back, then that’s a £1.5m signing that failed.  I was gonna call it a gamble, but I think that’s generous.  £1.5m is a lot of money to get wrong.  £0.5m, I think we’d all be less critical.

O’Dowda - the "plus" for LJ.  Although if you’re being critical, you’d say that last season he very much flattered to deceive (worked hard, but little end product), and only got going this season after the home game at Leeds, where I left very frustrated by him.  The first goal I likened to constipation and we saw some real promise from that point (6-8 games worth) until injury v Hull.

Taylor Moore.  I think he’s the breakpoint for LJ.  If he becomes a regular match day 18 player next season, then he might tip LJ into credit for those ‘not for the now’.  I think he’s good enough, and you’d have to question our recruitment AND coaching, for a player to be an England u19 captain, to drift off the radar.  The trend of bit-part Champ player to League 1 loanee, to League 2 loanee, is worrying.  Walsh will be closely scrutinised too at £1m.

Let’s also provide balance with Brownhill (tribunal), who’s done well, and Pisano (free), who despite a really bad injury has looked a good signing, despite lack of games.

The bigger signings of Diedhiou and Baker have worked, but on evidence, imagine if we’d paid £5-6m for Diony.

I believe we were made to overspend on Engvall due to a) using part of the money received for Kodjia, therefore more available and not such a blow to pay an extra £750,000 ish and how late we had to move for him in the window. 

However I have an issue with your point on Moore as highlighted, why does it have to be next season? He's playing in league 2 the same age Bobby and Joe were both playing in league 2 on loan at Plymouth, Bobby has only made an impact this season age 24/25 and Joe benefited from playing with us in league 1 not making the jump league 2 to championship. If LJ wants him around the first team squad then great I also believe he's got enough about him to be a squad player especially if Flint leaves. But he shouldn't be written off if he goes on loan to league 1 either. 

4 hours ago, glynriley said:

Lower than we are now!

Agree that we should all be happy with the improved league position. The concern I believe is that we've gone on another poorish run. 

Not sure anything I've posted here is particularly unbalanced mind?

I don't think it was aimed at you specifically, more a general sense of the feeling of the forum at the moment despite being tied on points with 5th a lot of people's reactions to our form since new year has been similar to as if we're getting relegated. There have been mitigating circumstances, injuries, suspensions, been told apparently Bobby is right up there for most minutes played by any player in EUROPE. and all City fans would obviously want us to be doing better in that time but fighting relegation 2 seasons in a row to fighting for the play offs and fans are upset? Some fans need a reality check. 

8 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Cheers. 

I've said LJ has improved. We've done better than I'd anticipated. 

Tbh - I'm left scratching my head what would be acceptable next season. Spending on players is rocketing but so is everyone else's. 

Iron out the peaks and troughs a bit and finish mid-table. I'll take that. 

Buy much better by doing more homework and don't loan a bunch of duds. 

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Buy much better by doing more homework and don't loan a bunch of duds. 

One part of bringing a loanee's is to take a look at what they might bring and in some cases they don't add much such as Kent or Dionsy have as yet.

On other hand some loans work well such as Tammy last season.

Its like going into a posh restaurant and being allowed to taste the food before you buy it - or not.

Archived