IGNORED

Ashton/SL speak to Dean Smith now

tinman85

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I'd hope that that CEO would have a short list of potential successors to whoever was the current manager. Dean Smith has certainly come on since his Walsall days. Played a blinder today whilst our chap was taken the the cleaners. 

Thanks. Back on topic. Would be a good appointment for us. 

Oh, @tinman85 is talking shoestring budgets again...

So looking at wage bills...

• Bristol City Holdings Ltd - 15/16... £17.432m (353 employees) which is broken up into... 
    • Bristol City Football Club Ltd - 15/16... £15.437m (138 employees)
    • Ashton Gate Ltd - 15/16... £2.126m (215 employees)
    • Note: there's a minor discrepancy here of c. £100k but that's not really relevant in the bigger picture
  • Brentford FC Ltd - 15/16... £17.603m (192 employees)

Or operating expenses...

• Bristol City Holdings Ltd - 15/16... £28.610m
  • Brentford FC Ltd - 15/16... £29.731m

Brentford FC Ltd has yet to file its accounts for 16/17 so I'm using 15/16 figures here for both sets of figures.

So, @tinman85, can you clarify where the shoestring budget is? 

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Agreed . But you are clueless about football 

Somebody who is defending the woeful football we have played since January, when this thread is about Dean Smith who clearly knows how to put together and execute quality football on a shoestring budget. Have a look at Johnson's signings and see if you can fit the good ones on your hands. You won't. 

4 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Somebody who is defending the woeful football we have played since January, when this thread is about Dean Smith who clearly knows how to put together and execute quality football on a shoestring budget. Have a look at Johnson's signings and see if you can fit the good ones on your hands. You won't. 

Can you give your facts on the "shoestring budget"? (See also my post directly above yours). 

9 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Give me the stats on money spent (you must have more time than me)

So just to be clear, you asserted a "shoestring budget" based on zero research and zero facts? Consider me shocked...

"Money spent" is what comes under the heading of operating expenses and I've already outlined those. Brentford outspent BCFC on the last period available where records can be compared.

47 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

You could also say 3 defeats in 12 before today, stats are too subjective. Today was pathetic, really was but the progress over the past 12 months is incredible

The worry is how are we going to start next season because we are fading badly at the moment

Just now, woodsy62 said:

The worry is how are we going to start next season because we are fading badly at the moment

Especially with the likes of Bryan, Reid, Smith, Flint all probably going to leave, it'll be a massive upheaval and I can see us going the way of reading to be honest

5 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

Except for the fact that we're not treading water. Gone from relegation favourites to play off contenders.

None of which excuses that utter horror show today of course.

There have been other horrors shows over the last three of four months and generally we have been really poor over that period.

The worry is that Lee seems to have run out of ideas.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

There have been other horrors shows over the last three of four months and generally we have been really poor over that period.

The worry is that Lee seems to have run out of ideas.

Not been away this season but today was one of the worst home performances I have ever seen. Lack of any apparent gameplan, which LJ needs to take responsibility for but the number of individual errors, lack of urgency and general cluelessness lies at the doora of the players.

At the start of this season most pundits had us nailed on to be relagated. By December many of those pundits were raving about our style of play. Despite our poor run of form we are still in with an outside chance of a place in the play offs, something that wasn't in even the happiest clappers mind. But still people want Johnson replaced.

Now I'm not saying any of our fans have an agenda against LJ but I struggle to make any real sense out of sacking him. The other thing that worries me is the OP wants a manager whose current club is 4 pts and 4 places behind us. We are a work in progress, and although we should have been able to sustain a play off place perhaps the pressure has taken its toll or the injuries have played a part in some results which have dented the confidence in such a young group. Whatever the reasons I'll be happy finishing in the top half if the table.

27 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

So just to be clear, you asserted a "shoestring budget" based on zero research and zero facts? Consider me shocked...

"Money spent" is what comes under the heading of operating expenses and I've already outlined those. Brentford outspent BCFC on the last period available where records can be compared.

Money spent also doesn’t tell the full story. It also depends on the starting point. LJ inherited a threadbare squad full of loans after the disastrous summer of 2015. Therefore we needed a great deal of investment just to make us competitive in the division. Just because we’ve spent more than certain clubs over the last two years doesn’t mean our squad is necessarily superior if they started from a higher base.

Such nuance and detail is wasted on certain posters however.

3 minutes ago, numbeast said:

At the start of this season most pundits had us nailed on to be relagated. By December many of those pundits were raving about our style of play. Despite our poor run of form we are still in with an outside chance of a place in the play offs, something that wasn't in even the happiest clappers mind. But still people want Johnson replaced.

Now I'm not saying any of our fans have an agenda against LJ but I struggle to make any real sense out of sacking him. The other thing that worries me is the OP wants a manager whose current club is 4 pts and 4 places behind us. We are a work in progress, and although we should have been able to sustain a play off place perhaps the pressure has taken its toll or the injuries have played a part in some results which have dented the confidence in such a young group. Whatever the reasons I'll be happy finishing in the top half if the table.

At Christmas most had us to be promoted. 

We've progressed in terms of league position, but in the last 3 months we've regressed as a team. Who's to blame?? Manager, board, players??

Fans?

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

At Christmas most had us to be promoted. 

We've progressed in terms of league position, but in the last 3 months we've regressed as a team. Who's to blame?? Manager, board, players??

Fans?

There's a case to be made for all 4. 

1) The manager, LJ needs a strategy to grind out results when we're not playing well, we just seem to do the same thing hoping we get a break. No matter how entertaining we are when we're on song some times we need to get down and dirty. I also think he can be too loyal to certain players, at this point in the season a bad game should mean changes.

2) The board, most of us knew we needed strengthening in certain positions, namely right back and central midfield. The board members and Steve Lansdown watch the same games as the fans and should have highlighted this to the head coach. Given the resources to strengthen those positions the maybe SL could have achieved his goal of self financing with the mega millions in the PL.

3) The players, are these the same players who beat 4 PL sides including Man U and 2 very respectable performances against the best side in the country over 2 legs. Suddenly the couldn't break down a side like Burton (with all due respect to them) You don't go from collossus's to mediocrity over night.

4) The fans, without doubt shoulder the least amount of blame. But that doesn't mean they are free of any blame. Our results buoyed our belief we were genuine contenders. The problem was when we hit a sticky patch we lost perspective, bemoaning draws that we'd otherwise be happy with or, to a certain degree, believed our own publicity. But as I've said the fans contribution is minimal.

This season has been better than I expected in August, but hasn't lived up to those early months promised. It comes down to are you a glass half full, a glass half empty or sod the glass I'll have a can of Thatchers type of person (I think I'm the last one)

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

You could also say 3 defeats in 12 before today, stats are too subjective. Today was pathetic, really was but the progress over the past 12 months is incredible

‘ Incredible ‘ ??????

Really ?

Not suggesting we should change and it simply won’t happen but in a different scenario that performance today would get a football manager sacked 

Archived