IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Aye, though there is talk that Walsh is on his way out too. Was fortunate to keep his job when Koeman left.

The North West Club And Everton , including paper gossip last summer keeps cropping up

Couldnt blame Bobby for grabbing a chance at Everton but doesn’t look an obvious one

Fulham if they get up or Bournemouth / Huddersfield you would have thought moreso

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A lot of talk circulating pre match that he’s off , done deal 

Everton

I’d wait til the management at Everton is decided first.

But he’ll got with my best wishes.  Been a joy to watch.

Just one thing.  What have been our two worst games for getting exposed and conceding crap goals in second halves?

Sunderland and Today.

See If you can spot one possible reason.  Then ask yourself whether the head coach, assistant coaches, analysts, etc spotted it.  

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d wait til the management at Everton is decided first.

But he’ll got with my best wishes.  Been a joy to watch.

Just one thing.  What have been our two worst games for getting exposed and conceding crap goals in second halves?

Sunderland and Today.

See If you can spot one possible reason.  Then ask yourself whether the head coach, assistant coaches, analysts, etc spotted it.  

Sod

:whistle:

Got me trying to remember back & Compare things from Sunderland game

Obviously some common traits but you have something specific in mind clearly 

Baker & Flint lall at sea without a conventional striker staying centrally against them but can’t recall Sunderland doing that

:disapointed2se:

im thinking more substitutions

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sod

Got me trying to remember back & Compare things from Sunderland game

Obviously some common traits but you have something specific in mind clearly 

Baker & Flint lall at sea without a conventional striker staying centrally against them but can’t recall Sunderland doing that

:disapointed2se:

im thinking more substitutions

Reid went off at half-time, today he went across to LW.

i didn’t think Diedhiou was tired today, but Reid can’t trigger the press if he’s not on the pitch or today, on left wing.  Diedhiou is not the man to trigger it.

How often did Larson pick it up in central midfield, under no pressure, and spray it wide.  McGeady and even Cattermole did the same for Sunderland.

Could be complete coincidence but for me, there’s no way in either of those two games that a CM, especially one as talented as Larson, or as clever as McGeady, should be allowed that much time and space.

Bobby and Fam had their best game as a partnership for some time today, and we (Sorry, LJ) split them up.

Just now, Davefevs said:

i didn’t think Diedhiou was tired today, but Reid can’t trigger the press if he’s not on the pitch or today, on left wing.  Diedhiou is not the man to trigger it.

How often did Larson pick it up in central midfield, under no pressure, and spray it wide.  McGeady and even Cattermole did the same for Sunderland.

Could be complete coincidence but for me, there’s no way in either of those two games that a CM, especially one as talented as Larson, or as clever as McGeady, should be allowed that much time and space.

Bobby and Fam had their best game as a partnership for some time today, and we (Sorry, LJ) split them up.

Good obs re absence of a Reid and high press

re Bobby and Fam highlighted - Agree

The one positive I came away with , particularly thinking what state we may be in come August ,was I thought FD Possibly had his best game for us and if we lose BR I’d be looking to get FD spending much more time in and around the box and working on ensuring he has  plenty of service

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wish I could PM discuss with you Dave

Heard your texts to RB - Spot on

Q (If you are happy to answer on the forum)

How much does his (IMHO  simply awful) in game management decisions , concern you (In terms of looking forward with him)

Im struggling for current positives with him if I’m honest - (Some real obvious repeated failings)

There has been some of course (BRs move etc) but right now .......?..:blink:

Recruitment ?

Management of players and squad ?

In game decisions and ability to effect game?

Influence on players and performances ?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wish I could PM discuss with you Dave

Heard your texts to RB - Spot on

Q (If you are happy to answer on the forum)

How much does his (IMHO  simply awful) in game management decisions , concern you (In terms of looking forward with him)

What worries me is that at pitch side he can’t see everything.  At his height, he can see less than the average manager...cheap jibe...sorry.  Seriously though, why isn’t Holden or Macca up in the stands?  Why aren’t the analysts picking up the stuff that us amateurs are spotting?  Ian and Nigel said pretty much what I thought on BBCRB.  That’s 3 (plus there were others) who reached similar conclusions.  We aren’t pros, but we aren’t stupid either.  @Beni71 will know I love my data, but football is too fluid to rely too much on raw data, you need to observe with your eyes, back that up by all means with numbers, but I wonder whether it’s being done the other way around.  Baseball is great for data, every pitch starts from the same point.  Of course everyone might be saying one thing but LJ might be being stubborn.  I think he needs a Don Howe-type up there in the stands watching the game.

Im struggling for current positives with him if I’m honest - (Some real obvious repeated failings)

I think he might be a very good coach, but manager, I dunno.  Head-Coach is a ‘cop-out’ title imho.

There has been some of course (BRs move etc) but right now .......?..:blink:

Recruitment ?

Mixed.  I understand the policy, I support the policy.  I don’t think it’s being executed very well.  MA too much influence i’ve Heard.  However, with a number of players it’s a waiting game because they haven’t been here long enough.  But you've got to be a bit optimistic that we aren’t wasting money.  Recruitment isn’t easy, but there are enough young players out there for £250k, you don’t have to pay £1.5m.  I could understand buying 4 or 5 and hoping 1 comes through.  But all new players are greeted with “we’ve done our analysis, we’ve filtered the funnel (!!), and all the stats point to him being good", followed by "we’ve watched him 6 or 7 times" etc....yet we aren’t getting it right often enough.

Management of players and squad ?

I really don’t know.  I was waiting for the "players I can trust’ comment again post-game today.  He let me down!

In game decisions and ability to effect game?

See above.  Good coach, tactically astute?  Two things, 1) setting a side up - okayish 2) reactions to the game - poor

Influence on players and performances ?

Hard to tell.  I’ve said before that I think that he can suck players in and name them believe, but if they see through it, he’s got trouble on his hands.  Can imagine certain players muttering "not got a clue", and I think some of that stems from an average playing career, never got any real kudos as a player.  I never saw much of him in those days, so can’t add too much, but I don’t think he can fall-back on experiences as a player to help him convince his players. 

See above.  I can’t / won’t lay the blame solely at LJ, he’s being let down too.  League Table-wise we’ve made progress.  Imagine we sell Flint, Bryan and Reic, get £25m for the three....would you trust our recruitment to improve the squad with  all of that money.  We need to build on our progress, but I actually think this squad peaked in December.

Get on Twitter....I can DM you there!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

See above.  I can’t / won’t lay the blame solely at LJ, he’s being let down too.  League Table-wise we’ve made progress.  Imagine we sell Flint, Bryan and Reic, get £25m for the three....would you trust our recruitment to improve the squad with  all of that money.  We need to build on our progress, but I actually think this squad peaked in December.

Get on Twitter....I can DM you there!

Thanks for those thoughts - interesting

The in game management thing is bizarre 

Easiest example is a post I did earlier

Pisano was recklessly bombing forward , unable to get back and leaving us horribly exposed

This is happening second half within feet of LJ on that side of pitch - Everyone in the Stadium can see what’s going on

so either

1) Lee is happy with what Pisano is doing.   :blink: 

2) He’s not happy but says nothing to Pisano :blink:

3) He’s telling Pisano not to recklessly charge up,the pitch but Pisano is ignoring him :blink:

I can’t think of a fourth and any of the above three are extremely worrying IMHO

dont know whether you have any thoughts on Pisano and the above ?

Definitely shouldn't have been moved to the left, not when he is the trigger for the press and leads it so well.

That said...4-4-2 is a draining system, particularly when you have put a lot in and it's a hot day- gaps will and do appear in those circs when sticking with 4-4-2 but to move Reid to the left...:grr:

@Davefevs No doubt what you say, the collapses v Sunderland and today- Reid the common denominator there.

@BobBobSuperBob Interesting point that about Baker and Flint up against no conventional striker staying centrally creating a lot of issues. Tricky one to solve for them as a pair IMO...

Alternative plan to combat maybe?

Hegeler for Baker say, bit deeper to combat technically (I know he wasn't in the squad today so it's academic in this instance).

Or, maybe (as above, academic), Hegeler between the defence and midfield, to make those lines more compact and perhaps restrict the space for the non conventional striker.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for those thoughts - interesting

The in game management thing is bizarre 

Easiest example is a post I did earlier

Pisano was recklessly bombing forward , unable to get back and leaving us horribly exposed

This is happening second half within feet of LJ on that side of pitch - Everyone in the Stadium can see what’s going on

so either

1) Lee is happy with what Pisano is doing.   :blink: 

2) He’s not happy but says nothing to Pisano :blink:

3) He’s telling Pisano not to recklessly charge up,the pitch but Pisano is ignoring him :blink:

I can’t think of a fourth and any of the above three are extremely worrying IMHO

dont know whether you have any thoughts on Pisano and the above ?

Thought Pisano was okay for 55 minutes today, but got exposed, and caught too far forward for remainder of game.  But easy to be exposed when we’ve gifted the middle of the park to your opponents.  He hasn’t returned from injury anywhere near the player he was before.  Shame.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Definitely shouldn't have been moved to the left, not when he is the trigger for the press and leads it so well.

That said...4-4-2 is a draining system, particularly when you have put a lot in and it's a hot day- gaps will and do appear in those circs when sticking with 4-4-2 but to move Reid to the left...:grr:

@Davefevs No doubt what you say, the collapses v Sunderland and today- Reid the common denominator there.

@BobBobSuperBob Interesting point that about Baker and Flint up against no conventional striker staying centrally creating a lot of issues. Tricky one to solve for them as a pair IMO...

Alternative plan to combat maybe?

Hegeler for Baker say, bit deeper to combat technically (I know he wasn't in the squad today so it's academic in this instance).

Or, maybe (as above, academic), Hegeler between the defence and midfield, to make those lines more compact and perhaps restrict the space for the non conventional striker.

Wouldn’t necessarily say Campbell isn’t a conventional striker.  He almost got in behind us a few times in first half.

Baker isn’t at the races.  For all the plaudits I gave him earlier on this season, I'd be doing all I could to keep Flint and moving on Baker.  His heart isn’t in it anymore.  Give me Mags any day based on the last few games!

At one point in Hull’s Good spell in the first half, 3 of our back four were marking nobody.  Joe was the only one marking, Unfortunately it was Baker’s man.  He just had to talk to Baker and move him on, so he could pick up Bowen, who was being marked by COD, leaving Ains free.  A simple bit of comms would’ve solved it.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Pisano was okay for 55 minutes today, but got exposed, and caught too far forward for remainder of game.  But easy to be exposed when we’ve gifted the middle of the park to your opponents.  He hasn’t returned from injury anywhere near the player he was before.  Shame.

Wouldn’t necessarily say Campbell isn’t a conventional striker.  He almost got in behind us a few times in first half.

Baker isn’t at the races.  For all the plaudits I gave him earlier on this season, I'd be doing all I could to keep Flint and moving on Baker.  His heart isn’t in it anymore.  Give me Mags any day based on the last few games!

At one point in Hull’s Good spell in the first half, 3 of our back four were marking nobody.  Joe was the only one marking, Unfortunately it was Baker’s man.  He just had to talk to Baker and move him on, so he could pick up Bowen, who was being marked by COD, leaving Ains free.  A simple bit of comms would’ve solved it.

What struck me Dave - Campbell was floating across the line and I was watching the back line and Flint & Baker in particular - And they weren’t communicating at all

Flint and Baker looked as if they were two teenagers who had fallen out - hardly a word or signal between them when I was watching 

Some strange things going on

Totally agree about Baker - looks like he’s going through motions 

Be interesting what Plan was sold to him to get him here as he looks like he’d happily move on

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What struck me Dave - Campbell was floating across the line and I was watching the back line and Flint & Baker in particular - And they weren’t communicating at all

Flint and Baker looked as if they were two teenagers who had fallen out - hardly a word or signal between them when I was watching 

Some strange things going on

Totally agree about Baker - looks like he’s going through motions 

Be interesting what Plan was sold to him to get him here as he looks like he’d happily move on

Baker also challenging for balls that were straight down Bryan’s throat.  He’s not been hisself for weeks now.

You do wonder whether a few of them know they’re off in the summer, and have given up.

I wouldn’t say that about Flint, he wasn’t at his best yesterday, but he’s been one of the few who’s not underperformed since Xmas.  I know a few people have said he’s look irritated over recent weeks, maybe it’s the lack of effort from his CB partner?

If there are a couple of rotten apples, then LJ needs to move them on.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Baker also challenging for balls that were straight down Bryan’s throat.  He’s not been hisself for weeks now.

You do wonder whether a few of them know they’re off in the summer, and have given up.

I wouldn’t say that about Flint, he wasn’t at his best yesterday, but he’s been one of the few who’s not underperformed since Xmas.  I know a few people have said he’s look irritated over recent weeks, maybe it’s the lack of effort from his CB partner?

Flint and Korey look ready to implode with frustration at others at times

fair play to Flint ,(Bobby too)  particularly if he’s off ,as he’s continued to show desire and will to win 

Starts punching the turf after trying to prevent their fifth  and you could see him literally screaming in frustration - some looked as if they didn’t give a hoot

As you know BR and AF are surely likely to be thinking , I give it my all but others don’t  , I have a chance to better myself and move ......

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As you know BR and AF are surely likely to be thinking , I give it my all but others don’t  , I have a chance to better myself and move ......

#Nutshell

I’d include Pack and Smith in that too.

Imagine "Bristol City" without those four.  Would you trust our recruitment to bring in suitable replacements, let alone an upgrade for one or two.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

#Nutshell

Imagine "Bristol City" without those four.  Would you trust our recruitment to bring in suitable replacements, let alone an upgrade for one or two.

Agree with both Dave

I didn’t highlight them in that sentence as Just less likely (Though no guarantees) departures than Flint or Reid ;)

Do I Trust our recruitment ......

Think you know my answer to that !!!!!!!

(That also includes the integration of new toys)

I do like Bobby and if I look at his situation fairly I suppose I don't begrudge him a move away but honestly the refusing to sign a contract after all the time the club has stuck with him to ensure he developed into the player he is now still feels like a knife in the back. 

As I said, with a fair view I understand his decision, it just hurts to think sick a long investment will probably leave for pennies compared to his current value to us. 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Brownhill should’ve been at RM helping Pisano, Paterson shifted out to LM. Reid stayed upfront. Him and Diedhiou were looking dangerous. Obvious in hindsight I know. 

It's not just me then as this seemed an obvious move? Reid and Fammy looked good together (it's not always the case I appreciate) yesterday and caused Hull all manner of problems. Why on earth did LJ change it? I still don't understand why he moved Bobby to LM. 

25 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Brownhill should’ve been at RM helping Pisano, Paterson shifted out to LM. Reid stayed upfront. Him and Diedhiou were looking dangerous. Obvious in hindsight I know. 

21 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's not just me then as this seemed an obvious move? Reid and Fammy looked good together (it's not always the case I appreciate) yesterday and caused Hull all manner of problems. Why on earth did LJ change it? I still don't understand why he moved Bobby to LM. 

I've never understood or liked making one sub and shuffling several player to accommodate it. As you both say, Josh on RM , Pato to LM and minimal disruption. Could even have shored it up more by dropping Reid a little deeper to give a genuine 3 CM with 2 holding. 
I thought for much of the game the MF had shown some of the passing of earlier in the season, and that FD and Reid looked like a proper partnership, a goal and an assist for each of them. The sub seemed to change all of that in one fell swoop .

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

IMO some people see Flint's persona on the pitch, things like thumping the floor in frustration for Hull's 5th, as him showing complete passion and will to win - which tbh it probably does and if anything it's overboard. But we were caught out on the break with Flint losing his man who ended up tapping it in. 

I question sometimes whether his passion and enthusiasm goes too far, getting caught too far up the pitch in attempt to make something happen, be it getting into the box for a header or even trying to play a pass from just inside their half.

This was brought up about Joe Hart playing for England at the last Euros. He was as pumped as anyone in the tunnel and during the national anthem. At the time I liked that as it's something we don't often see with England players but after getting caught out consistently diving to his left, it makes me question whether he was too up for it and it affected his concentration on actually just doing his job and playing the game as any other.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

#Nutshell

I personally feel we will lose Flint, Reid and Bryan. Human nature will take over...these are three close friends and when they see one of them moving on to a bigger club and earning a lot higher wages...the other two will want a piece of that pie 

Ian Wright spoke about it a few weeks ago when he spoke about Spurs players and them not being paid in line with other players of their standard 

Bristol City next season will look completely different to the Bristol City now...and with Johnson's record in the transfer market, god help us

5 hours ago, joeyb said:

IMO some people see Flint's persona on the pitch, things like thumping the floor in frustration for Hull's 5th, as him showing complete passion and will to win - which tbh it probably does and if anything it's overboard. But we were caught out on the break with Flint losing his man who ended up tapping it in. 

I question sometimes whether his passion and enthusiasm goes too far, getting caught too far up the pitch in attempt to make something happen, be it getting into the box for a header or even trying to play a pass from just inside their half.

This was brought up about Joe Hart playing for England at the last Euros. He was as pumped as anyone in the tunnel and during the national anthem. At the time I liked that as it's something we don't often see with England players but after getting caught out consistently diving to his left, it makes me question whether he was too up for it and it affected his concentration on actually just doing his job and playing the game as any other.

Passion is an English obsession, though not uniquely, but it's staying calm and focused that wins in the end.

For an example of how being too pumped up is a bad thing take Brazil before being thrashed by Germany at the last World Cup.

On 21/04/2018 at 23:41, paulcityfan said:

If you really want to be a top team you don't let your top scorer go every season

He has to be persuaded to stay 

Sadly, the word ' let ' is a misnomer.

If a little player has ambitions to play at a higher level and then has the opportunity the club can't really win . 

They lose a player for nothing at the end of his  contract  and risk an unhappy member of the squad until he's freed .

It's not a choice to ' let ' the star player go . 

Archived