IGNORED

Famara Diedhiou

Red Army 75

DbawvxBWAAE7uZO.jpg

Bobby Reid has scored 21 goals in 4,228 minutes this season. 
But @famara2001 - who missed three months injured - has 14 goals in 2,385 minutes.
If Fam had scored at the same rate he's done so far he'd have got 24 goals in same mins as Bobby. 
#BristolCity's next 20-goal striker?

I know this has been done and he certainly splits opinions. But those stats are certainly impressive. It’s shame BR could be on his way out. Could do some real damage next season. 5 million seems a lot . But when you consider someone like Jordan Rhodes. I personally think it looks like good business. Thoughts 

I posted yesterday on another thread that had Famara not missed 5 months thru injury then he'd have been pushing Reid for leading scorer.

He was very impressive on Saturday and his goal reminded me of Steve Brooker. Big, powerful and a handful to play against.

If he can stay fit next season he'll be another 20+ striker. 

A great find by LJ and his scouting team.

15 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

DbawvxBWAAE7uZO.jpg

Bobby Reid has scored 21 goals in 4,228 minutes this season. 
But @famara2001 - who missed three months injured - has 14 goals in 2,385 minutes.
If Fam had scored at the same rate he's done so far he'd have got 24 goals in same mins as Bobby. 
#BristolCity's next 20-goal striker?

I know this has been done and he certainly splits opinions. But those stats are certainly impressive. It’s shame BR could be on his way out. Could do some real damage next season. 5 million seems a lot . But when you consider someone like Jordan Rhodes. I personally think it looks like good business. Thoughts 

He's probably off in the summer. 

Feel he has suffered by being compared with Kodjia and following in Tammy's shoes and also because he was an MA/LJ signing.

I think he is much more of a team player than Kodjia and before his injury was in tremendous goalscoring form. If it were not for his injury, and had his goalscoring continued at the same rate would he now be attracting the same criticism for poor ball control etc.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If it were not for his injury, and had his goalscoring continued at the same rate would he now be attracting the same criticism for poor ball control etc.

No doubt his ball control could improve! but that lack of quick feet hasn't impaired his ability to find the net.

Im not sure if it's possible to coach quick feet - I'd have thought it's a natural ability.

Famara has on weakness he can probably never improve on and that is shear lack of pace.  His ball control and passing has improved a lot though and he does have a decent goals per minute record.

He does need to work harder off the ball though and make more forward and diagonal runs.  Working on stamina is needed at the moment too.

Famara has been a great signing and relatively good value at £5million, these days. 

Anyone who can’t see that he’s decent can’t have a clue about football! 

His first season in this country, in one of the toughest leagues in the world, hampered by a serious injury lay off and he’s still weighed in with impressive returns. 

He’s no Bobby Reid or Kodjia, but he’s not meant to be! 

He’s done superbly well this season! 

He seems to be an easy target when we play poor or lose because some of his touches are poor and they seem to be remembered. One minute he brings a ball down lovely and does something brilliant and the next looks like he wouldn't make it in a Sunday league team. The bottom line is he is here to get goals and he is doing that, and looks a very improved player. Great signing imo and if he could have a few performances like Saturday he would be a very top player (without too much pace), although you have to accept some games he will have a terrible game and look poor - then again I doubt it helps when thousands moan because he misplaces a pass or fails to control the ball.

What are his chances of making the Senegal World Cup squad? He hasn't played for them recently but with the Championship standard I assume he must be in contention?

That I hope is influencing how he is playing the remainder of the season. And with Bobby Reid going for the divisions top scorer too, we've got players with something to play for who will want to score goals right the way through to Sunday week. If we can just find some defenders we might get another point this season.

Incidentally, to those who would remind us that Diedhiou was poor in recent weeks prior to Saturday - it makes a big difference not having long balls aimlessly pumped up to him without anyone anywhere near him. Our forward play depends on Reid and Diedhiou being close for one to control the ball and the other to find space. Diedhiou is not a lone target man. He wants to get the ball down as quick as possible (or better receive it to feet) and run at players.

He's a good player, no doubt. Gets goals and the odd assist- got to be quite happy with that for a striker. His passing has improved too- decent season, especially considering the injuries.

However-  I just have concern about whether 4-4-2 makes us too weak in midfield- all about trade-offs.

If and when the playoffs is finally confirmed as not gonna happen, how about something like- even if just for one (or two if we think it's done) game to have a go and then consider all options in the summer?

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker

O'Dowda Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Reid Diedhiou

Or a Plan B on that theme.

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Paterson

Reid Diedhiou

Then you could accommodate the 3 to secure midfield more, and the 2 strikers- problem is some good players would miss out (Kelly, one of O'Dowda or Paterson to name a few).

He baffles me to be honest. 

I have no idea how he’s managed to get so many goals because he looks bloody awful at times. In fact, someone mentioned in a post above “Sunday league”. Honestly, at times he looks Sunday league - no touch, no control, can’t pass, stands on the ball, no vision, no pace, no football brain, seems to not understand what he needs to do with the ball when he gets it. 

And then somehow he scores goals. He really really baffles me. 

2 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

I have no idea how he’s managed to get so many goals because he looks bloody awful at times. In fact, someone mentioned in a post above “Sunday league”. Honestly, at times he looks Sunday league - no touch, no control, can’t pass, stands on the ball, no vision, no pace, no football brain, seems to not understand what he needs to do with the ball when he gets it. 

In the entire time Sean Goater was playing for us I was fairly convinced he never once had the ball under control... However! Despite a sometimes awkward approach he knew exactly where the goal was.

Sounds similar to the point you're making.

Superb player who is improving, conveniently looked over by those who bash our recruitment at every opportunity. Would have 20+ in a full season so would be worth 2 or 3 times what we paid in the current market.

Sadly he and his fellow forwards have been badly let down by their defensive colleagues. 

I like how he gets in a really good goal scoring situation but does not shoot, or miscontrols and you think the chance has gone only for him to get the ball stuck under his feet, kick it a few yards, somehow regain control, fall over a couple of defenders before turning like a oil tanker and somehow putting the ball in the net about 4 hours after the easier earlier chance in the move had gone. Imagine what he could be like if he had more/better coaching... glad he's with us, was not really convinced at first, but his goal tally cannot be a fluke.

He’d be in the 20s now if he was fit all season, he’s a better goal scorer than Reid but he needs a player like Reid beside him to compliment him. If we can keep Bobby here with a new contract next season then I’ll be more than happy watching them 2 lead the line next season.

He gets a lot of stick but his job is to put the ball in the net, I don’t care how he does it so long as he does, a very good signing imo and you just know defenders hate playing against him. Can’t imagine he’s easy to read seeing as half the time Fammy himself doesn’t know which way he’s going :laughcont:

29 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

The ability to score goals in top level football is a priceless commodity.

There are, have been and always will be players gifted with far greater pace and skill than someone like Fammy, but who don't seem to have the ability to get the ball in the net - we have signed a fair number of these over the years!

Before his injury, his partnership with Bobby R was growing strongly and promising much for the season. As it happens , his injury made way for Patterson playing off Bobby which proved to be another excellent partnership. In both cases, this was at a time when we were playing our "proper" football, and before the team collectively lost the plot.  (:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

No doubt his ball control could improve! but that lack of quick feet hasn't impaired his ability to find the net.

Im not sure if it's possible to coach quick feet - I'd have thought it's a natural ability.

It's certainly possible to improve this through training. Training ladder, triangle etc.

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Superb player who is improving, conveniently looked over by those who bash our recruitment at every opportunity. Would have 20+ in a full season so would be worth 2 or 3 times what we paid in the current market.

Sadly he and his fellow forwards have been badly let down by their defensive colleagues. 

Certainly a very good signing who can only improve hopefully.  At times he looked like the missing link when he came back from injury but obviously it hasn’t panned out that way because of our other deficiencies as you say. Here’s hoping our management team can get that sorted this summer whether by coaching or by bringing in new recruits.   

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Famara has been a great signing and relatively good value at £5million, these days. 

Anyone who can’t see that he’s decent can’t have a clue about football! 

His first season in this country, in one of the toughest leagues in the world, hampered by a serious injury lay off and he’s still weighed in with impressive returns. 

He’s no Bobby Reid or Kodjia, but he’s not meant to be! 

He’s done superbly well this season! 

He’s done very well but he’s not technically gifted. But I admire his hard work and he deserves the praises for his first season in English football.

Archived