IGNORED

Wembley Drama

handsofclay

What a finish for Tranny. Some effort by the ten men left standing. Ridehalgh looking pretty grateful as well as tearful.

Like the lad in the stand with a Playoffs banner: it had last year's date crossed out and 2017-18 scrawled in underneath. :clapping:

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I thought that too. Feel sorry for the player Micky Mellon then subbed for tactical reasons.

Micky Mellon - thats a blast from the past - one of my favourite City MF players - wholehearted!

i remember him coming on for his debut and getting heavily tackled  (poss Vs Wigan??)

:(

Just a season to early for the Wood.  No doubt about it, Tranmere are a much better side.

Nonetheless, good progress from my third side to finish higher in the league structure than ever before and come just one goal away from league football. Onwards and upwards.  Gas-tards, we're coming for you!  :laughcont:

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

I was at the game. Tranmere deserved it - proper league club and proper fans. 

Fed up of tinpot teams like Boreham Wood, Crawley Town and Fleetwood getting up. 

Why shouldn’t “tinpot” teams go up and evolve into a “proper league club”?? All pretty boring if you just want the status quo maintained all the time.

Every club was tinpot once.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why shouldn’t “tinpot” teams go up and evolve into a “proper league club”?? All pretty boring if you just want the status quo maintained all the time.

They have 250 season ticket holders. What would they bring to the football league? Yeah fair play to any club who punches above their weight but I’d much rather have Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Hartlepool, Wrexham, Stockport etc back in the league any day. 

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

They have 250 season ticket holders. What would they bring to the football league? Yeah fair play to any club who punches above their weight but I’d much rather have Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Hartlepool, Wrexham, Stockport etc back in the league any day. 

Well they’ll have to start beating the ‘tinpot’ teams more often then.

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

I was at the game. Tranmere deserved it - proper league club and proper fans. 

Fed up of tinpot teams like Boreham Wood, Crawley Town and Fleetwood getting up. 

Harsh.

It's not about the club or the season tickets really though is it?

At the end of the day a group have played a part in something that, no matter the size of the club they play for, can be proud of for achieving. If the club has the management to make that happen - and I can't imagine Boreham to be money-balling like Forest Green did. Then fair play to them.To attempt to argue that if they went up that they don't deserve it or shouldn't be there due to the size of their fan base is completely irrelevant. 

So by your logic @Robin 101 - out of interest - do Gateshead deserve to be on the league on the basis that they were once an old team with decent support? They average gates of below 300, 10 years ago, but in the 1920s-1950s their attendances averaged from 14,000 down to 5,000. Still more than Stockport have managed for the last 60 years.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Was just going to say this. 

Boreham Wood have a substantial (and wealthy) South Herts fanbase. Of course most people living there are Arsenal or Spurs fans (with a minority of Watford fans) but more people are attending matches as they advance up the league ladder.  Their climb has been steady but pretty impressive: they were playing in the ninth tier of English football in the early 80s. 

I suspect that if they got into the league then they would manage more than 250 season tickets.

Competing at a higher level is exactly how teams grow and stop being "tinpot".

Each club deserves to be where they are, I don’t disagree. If Boreham Wood had won promotion they’d have won their right to be in League Two, no doubt.

I said Tranmere deserved to win the game, not because they are a league club with league fans etc, but because they looked comfortable despite playing 90 mins with ten men. So slight misunderstanding there.

However, I stand by my assertion that I would rather see, shall we say, more established clubs back in the league. And yes, they need to start beating smaller teams - I merely am saying I hope that they do. 

You may disagree, but I think Tranmere and their passionate fans bring more to the league in terms of vibrancy than a couple of thousand (at a push) Arsenal and Tottenham supporters who have a new hobby. Sorry if you disagree!

Archived