IGNORED

England Squad Wednesday

And Its Smith

6 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Fair enough. Southgate obviously hasn't wanted to take the risk, which you can understand given the importance of this tournament, for him and for England generally.

For me personally, for the last couple of spots in the 23, we're probably debating over some fairly average names, the likes of Livermore, Clyne or Rose as you mention Monkeh that aren't really getting a look in for their clubs just now, or a few younger 'risks'. They may not all play the same position of course, but I feel like a wildcard choice like Sessegnon might have proven more valuable than picking these above. We know what they can do and what they're limited to, whereas Sessegnon is a bit of an unknown, probably not got the fear of failure that others might, could maybe have provided an edge, done something opponents aren't expecting.

Who knows how it will work out, I can understand the decision, I just think if it was me, I would have taken a few more risks than we will do.

Last time they tried that was with Walcott in 2006, and that was a complete waste of time.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Last time they tried that was with Walcott in 2006, and that was a complete waste of time.

As with all risks, there is a chance it won't work out.

One example doesn't prove anything.

Slightly different situations too, though granted they are similar. Sessegnon has just had a full season of football and is in fine form. That wasn't true of Walcott at the time, who had not played for Arsenal at all since January.

39 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Where have you seen that Super?

I'm a little disappointed, if true.

Picking him would have been complete madness.  He's played a full season as a 17 year old. It's only the English who think that it's a good idea to ruin teenage footballers by pushing them too young.  Let him have a rest, prove himself in the Premiership and maybe go to the Under 21 tournament next summer.  

Then pick him.

One name that has evaded everyone 

James ward-prowse.

Played tournament football for all the youth levels and with livermore and wilshire out, could he be one who is chosen? We shall see 

Shame about sessegnon as I'd have taken him but time is on his side. Course, there could be injuries between now and the world cup anyway. 

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Picking him would have been complete madness.  He's played a full season as a 17 year old. It's only the English who think that it's a good idea to ruin teenage footballers by pushing them too young.  Let him have a rest, prove himself in the Premiership and maybe go to the Under 21 tournament next summer.  

Then pick him.

Pele did alright in '58 at 17... Owen was decent for us at 18 in '98.

Perhaps it is true that the 'sensible' decision has been made, but as I said, it's just my view, but with our squad I feel there's room for a risk or two.

'Only the English' I think is total nonsense, a quick google will show you a whole host of other nations, big and small, taking teenagers to the world cup. You judge each situation individually, if they have the ability, pick them.

Err, Sessegnon is not the next Pele.  Michael Owen had played in the Premiership for a couple of seasons and had been given his debut by Hoddle some time before the tournament.

I was referring to the massive clamour for any talented looking player to be picked for England.  It happens all the time.  How many teenagers have their been in the last Spanish and German squads?   

13 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Pele did alright in '58 at 17... Owen was decent for us at 18 in '98.

Perhaps it is true that the 'sensible' decision has been made, but as I said, it's just my view, but with our squad I feel there's room for a risk or two.

'Only the English' I think is total nonsense, a quick google will show you a whole host of other nations, big and small, taking teenagers to the world cup. You judge each situation individually, if they have the ability, pick them.

1958 was a different era and pele was a special once in a life time player

Owen was playing prem football at liverpool at 18 not championship football at fulham

Messi was 18 when he went to the 2006 world cup. He wasn't first choice but still took part in some of the games. 

Their coach left Messi on the bench when they were knocked out on penalties to Germany. Pretty much the whole of Argentina wanted him to bring Messi on but he never did. 

If you're good enough, you're old enough, taking RS would have done no harm. 

Germany in the last world cup took two 20 year olds. Argentina who lost the final, their youngest player was Marcus rojo who was 24.

We took Shaw (18), Sterling (19) Barkley and oxlade-Chamberlain (both 20)

1 minute ago, The Batman said:

Messi was 18 when he went to the 2006 world cup. He wasn't first choice but still took part in some of the games. 

Their coach left Messi on the bench when they were knocked out on penalties to Germany. Pretty much the whole of Argentina wanted him to bring Messi on but he never did. 

Germany in the last world cup took two 20 year olds. Argentina who lost the final, their youngest player was Marcus rojo who was 24.

difference is, all the players you've mentioned had top flight experience RS doesn't, 

Sess will have his time in 2 years time.  I've no doubt that by then he'll have 50 or so Premier League games under his belt, whether with Fulham or not. If he takes his chances then he'll no doubt be in the Euro's squad in 2020. 

May also play a role in the Nation's League - guess we are yet to see what the attitude will be towards those games - i.e. whehter they are treated as "full and competitive" internationals or whether they have a slightly lower status, kind of glorified freindlies type thing.

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

difference is, all the players you've mentioned had top flight experience RS doesn't, 

That is true, but that isn't his fault.

For many years, Fulham were a premier league club. According to Wikipedia, he joined them in 2008, 2 years later, they lost the Europa League final to At. Madrid in extra time. They were a club going places, but eventually relegation got the better of them.

He has been superb in the 2 seasons of football he has played, granted it isn't the Premier League, but the Championship is a very competitive league to play in.

1 minute ago, The Batman said:

That is true, but that isn't his fault.

For many years, Fulham were a premier league club. According to Wikipedia, he joined them in 2008, 2 years later, they lost the Europa League final to At. Madrid in extra time. They were a club going places, but eventually relegation got the better of them.

He has been superb in the 2 seasons of football he has played, granted it isn't the Premier League, but the Championship is a very competitive league to play in.

Reid's been superb this season but there isn't much call for him to be included,

the lad is 17 and has 1 under 21 game to his name, I'm all for blooding youngsters but while he's a good player its just wrong to clamber for him to be included, even if he was he wouldn't get a game and if he did he'd be ripped to shreds by fans/media if he made a mistake (as a 17yo would do under immense pressure)

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Reid's been superb this season but there isn't much call for him to be included,

the lad is 17 and has 1 under 21 game to his name, I'm all for blooding youngsters but while he's a good player its just wrong to clamber for him to be included, even if he was he wouldn't get a game and if he did he'd be ripped to shreds by fans/media if he made a mistake (as a 17yo would do under immense pressure)

He has indeed, you never know, maybe Southgate liked what he saw in the League Cup matches :laugh:

Think we'll have to agree to disagree, I'd have liked him to go to get some Tournament experience so he knows what to expect for the future.

With Reid however, we have an abundance of strikers and attacking midfielders for England. Left wing backs however, we have been limited to players who play week in week out in that position. Young and Delph have played there, Rose for Spurs was out for a while, Chilwell at Leicester has been hit and miss.

Maybe Mr J Bryan should keep his phone on today

4 minutes ago, Jcolebristol said:

I see rumours are starting escalating about Leon Bailey making the squad. I don't get how he can be English though? 

He's played one friendly for Jamaica U23's so I dont know if that rules him out?

You can play friendlies for the senior team without it ruling you out of switching

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

You can play friendlies for the senior team without it ruling you out of switching

Correct

@Jcolebristol As touched upon earlier (i think) Zaha played 2 friendlies for England a few years ago but plays for the Ivory Coast.

Once you've played a competitive match, ie qualifier, tournament match, then you are stuck (if that's the right word to use) with that country.

Diego Costa too, i think played a friendly for Brazil before playing for Spain - citation needed.

9 minutes ago, Jcolebristol said:

I see rumours are starting escalating about Leon Bailey making the squad. I don't get how he can be English though? 

He's played one friendly for Jamaica U23's so I dont know if that rules him out?

Never heard of him?

Seems a bit odd to me? 

There are 3 right backs (Walker, Trippier & Arnold). 

In essence 3 left backs (Rose, Young & Delph). It’s certainly where Young & Delph have played all their football this season. 

And quite what Welbeck has done to deserve a place I don’t know. Would rather have Lallana or even someone like Grealish in there. Or Shelvey even. 

Most odd. 

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Norman Whiteside is the youngest player ever to appear in the World Cup Finals - at Spain ‘82 - as you say, if you’re good enough the age doesn’t matter...

Same old, same old! No one to excite and god only knows who's going to take a game by the scruff of the neck or come off the bench to make a difference.

Jones, Cahill and Welbeck are silly picks. Names over form once again.

Tarkowski and even Lascelles are very unlucky. Why not go for a Leon Bailey, a Jadon Sancho or even Ademola Lookman who has the best goals to game ratio in the Bundesliga in 2018.

And the back up list is atrocious bar Lallana. And if Lallana is fit he should 100% be in the squad and if he's not fit why would you but him on a standby list where you require reliability. Lewis Cook and Jake Livermore over Shelvey as well.

Uninspiring as usual.

1 hour ago, Jcolebristol said:

Leon Bailey’s a difficult one. Because he’s adopted no ones really sure wether he’s eligible.

Archived