IGNORED

England Squad Wednesday

And Its Smith

Looking at the squad then, and with Southgate's formation that he's been playing. One would assume the first 11 would be 

Butland

Walker - Maguire - Stones

T A-A                                                            Rose

Dier                  Henderson

Alli                              Kane                         Sterling

But a lot can happen between now and then. Injuries, confidence, form. A lot to play for.

I dont think Walker will be a wing back, i think he'll play him to the right of a back 3. Otherwise he would not have selected T A-A & KT in addition to KW

Are there any English players (who are fit) who’ve not been selected from Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs & Chelsea? 

Smalling is the only one I can think of? 

Seems if you don’t play for the top 5 you don’t have much hope. 

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seems a bit odd to me? 

There are 3 right backs (Walker, Trippier & Arnold). 

In essence 3 left backs (Rose, Young & Delph). It’s certainly where Young & Delph have played all their football this season. 

And quite what Welbeck has done to deserve a place I don’t know. Would rather have Lallana or even someone like Grealish in there. Or Shelvey even. 

Most odd. 

Walkers been playing at CB for England. Trippier and TAA will be RWB choices. Rose and Young LWB. Delphi is an option, and a half decent one at that, at holding midfield. 

Shelvey should be in there - at least as standby ahead of Livermore.

Pretty much a similar squad to the one I would have picked. Wellbeck = Wellaverage but we haven't got loads of strikers knocking about. Luckily Vardy and Kane means he won't be needed...

12 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Shelvey should be in there - at least as standby ahead of Livermore.

Pretty much a similar squad to the one I would have picked. Wellbeck = Wellaverage but we haven't got loads of strikers knocking about. Luckily Vardy and Kane means he won't be needed...

Shelvey  would have been in my squad

I actually like Welbeck , not a eye catcher , but never a problem , great attitude , brave , willing and he always seems to have contributed on his appearances - his record for England is good

Underrated by many IMHO

I do like Welbeck, but the is an apparent lack of Plan B up front. Rashford, Sterling, Welbeck, Vardy, all very similar. Hard working, quick, skillfull players

There is no Carroll, Crouch, dare I say Abraham alternative for a bit of aerial physical dominance up front. Kane does offer that, but not to that effect.

Even Spain with their embarrassment of riches and their phenomenal style of play, still selected Fernando Llorrente in their winning 2010 & 2012 squads as an option in case of emergency.

Decent squad considering options available. Southgate has impressed me by being prepared to leave out Hart and Wilshire who really can't justify a place but previous managers would have selected anyway. He also has done that rare for England of late and 1. Picked a system and stuck with it. 2. Picked players to fit the system not just because of club/rep.

The big plus for a tournament squad is versatility with players like Delph, Dier, Young experience at prem level and above in a number of positions and other players able to play variations on a role eg. Rashford playing wide or through the middle. 

The one surprise would be Welbeck over say Lallana but I think we lack out and out forwards and I imagine he is in because of good hold up play etc and we might want him on if we are trying to see a game out.

1 minute ago, BCFC Richard said:

The one surprise would be Welbeck over say Lallana but I think we lack out and out forwards and I imagine he is in because of good hold up play etc and we might want him on if we are trying to see a game out.

I can see why Welbeck was in for that reason - I also think the squad "as is" has a bit too much defensive/workman like types in midfield and not enough creativity - basically the two creative players are really Alli and Lingard - Obviously llana is not fully fit and a risk but I'd have gone for him over Delph

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

Same old, same old! No one to excite and god only knows who's going to take a game by the scruff of the neck or come off the bench to make a difference.

Jones, Cahill and Welbeck are silly picks. Names over form once again.

Tarkowski and even Lascelles are very unlucky. Why not go for a Leon Bailey, a Jadon Sancho or even Ademola Lookman who has the best goals to game ratio in the Bundesliga in 2018.

And the back up list is atrocious bar Lallana. And if Lallana is fit he should 100% be in the squad and if he's not fit why would you but him on a standby list where you require reliability. Lewis Cook and Jake Livermore over Shelvey as well.

Uninspiring as usual.

Jordan Sancho would have been a superb inclusion. Welbeck is the most irritating name out of that whole squad for me, has done nothing all season and never does anything in an England shirt.

6 minutes ago, bris red said:

Jordan Sancho would have been a superb inclusion. Welbeck is the most irritating name out of that whole squad for me, has done nothing all season and never does anything in an England shirt.

15 goals in 37 games for England.

Since when is an almost 1 in 2 goal record "never doing anything"?

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Shelvey  would have been in my squad

I actually like Welbeck , not a eye catcher , but never a problem , great attitude , brave , willing and he always seems to have contributed on his appearances - his record for England is good

Underrated by many IMHO

8 minutes ago, bris red said:

Funny how opinions can vary so wildly.

Personally I don't really see how you can knock Welbeck's contributions for England. He's barely played for England since 2014, and before that his record was good.

A winner against Sweden at Euro 2012, two crucial game winning contributions in qualifying for Euro 2016. His overall scoring record for England is good.

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Walkers been playing at CB for England. Trippier and TAA will be RWB choices. Rose and Young LWB. Delphi is an option, and a half decent one at that, at holding midfield. 

Based on where they’ve played for their clubs this season, we’ve selected 6 full backs. 

If Southgate adopts his 3 at the back with Walker inside, it’ll be interesting. He’s only played Walker there in 1 friendly hasn’t he? 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Based on where they’ve played for their clubs this season, we’ve selected 6 full backs. 

If Southgate adopts his 3 at the back with Walker inside, it’ll be interesting. He’s only played Walker there in 1 friendly hasn’t he? 

2 games, but if you look at how Pep has Man City playing this season, alongside Walkers average heat map, he’s almost been playing the role of an outside CB

Gary Cahill stumbles out of a club at 2am with some girl, and after being all over each other in the taxi, they get to his mansion and into his huge bedroom, complete with a plush king size bed with heart shaped pillows. Gary turns off the light, takes the girl's hand in his, and they start caressing each other while on the bed.

Suddenly, a sharp scream pierces through the once romantic scene. Gary turns the light on immediately to find the girl scrambling out of bed, horrified at what she is encountering. An aging bloke with a receding hairline and slightly weird looking nose slithers out from underneath the sheets, making sinister circular motions with his tongue while maintaining eye contact with the girl. Obviously, she's ****ing terrified, turns to Gary and barks 'WHAT THE **** IS THIS? WHO IS THIS MAN? YOU'RE A MILLIONAIRE WITH A DEDICATED SECURITY TEAM AND YOU CAN'T EVEN STOP SOME WEIRDO FROM HIDING IN YOUR BED! THAT'S IT! I'M TAKING THIS TO THE PRESS!' As she gathers her clothes and storms out, Gary runs after her desperately and exclaims:

'Please love, come back! It's just that everybody knows I can't perform without JT by my side!'

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Are there any English players (who are fit) who’ve not been selected from Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs & Chelsea? 

Smalling is the only one I can think of? 

Seems if you don’t play for the top 5 you don’t have much hope. 

In addition to Smalling, there’s Luke Shaw, Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana (if he’s fit enough to be in the standby squad, arguably he’s also fit enough to be in the main squad), Kyle Walker-Peters and Dominic Solanke. 

Danny Drinkwater and Harry Winks have been (and I think still are) injured, as are Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. And Milner retired from international football. 

Edit: you could potentially add Phil Foden to the list too. I know he hasn’t played many games for Man City but Jadon Sancho has only played 12 times for Dortmund and some on this thread are saying he should have been included. 

Think the squad has too many defenders, do we really need 6 full-backs? Appreciate they can play in other positions i.e Delph, Young etc but it does look a particularly negative squad particularly considering the first two games are Panama and Tunisia!

Would personally swap Delph, Alexander-Arnold & Welbeck for Wilshere, Lallana & Sancho just to make sure that if we do get to the latter stages were not just concentrating on stopping the opposition from playing and actually have game changers on the bench.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Seems a bit odd to me? 

In essence 3 left backs (Rose, Young & Delph). It’s certainly where Young & Delph have played all their football this season. 

And quite what Welbeck has done to deserve a place I don’t know. Would rather have Lallana or even someone like Grealish in there. Or Shelvey even. 

Most odd. 

blimey Harry was about to post exactly the same point about Lallana. He would be the one risk in the squad for me. Has a month before the tournament to get fit. if he was fit, he'd be involved. Struggling to see how Welbeck would get ahead of Rashford, Kane and Bardy. He's nowhere near their level. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

2. TAA will end up as a midfielder. Has played there for Liverpool recently. Has an excellent passing range 

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Funny how opinions can vary so wildly.

Personally I don't really see how you can knock Welbeck's contributions for England. He's barely played for England since 2014, and before that his record was good.

A winner against Sweden at Euro 2012, two crucial game winning contributions in qualifying for Euro 2016. His overall scoring record for England is good.

15 goals in 37 games , many as sub

Speaks for itself before you add his workrate

2 hours ago, bris red said:

15 goals at less than one in three 

no nothing

:whistle:

edit

Sorry @JamesBCFC - missed your post on this

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Seems a bit odd to me? 

Most odd. 

With 6 full backs it is pretty clear that Southgate is going to play 352 and needs the wing back positions well covered.

I only hope he uses them as attacking options as we don't have enough quality to defend against the better teams.

I think Vardy is going to have a storming tournament and could be our secret weapon, he also has mastered the professional dive in the box and gets his fair share of pens

Final one is Loftus Cheek who has all the ability and physique to be a top player as long as he is given a chance 

If we click we could go a long way in the tournament, if we don't then at least we have blooded players for the euros in 2020

Most importantly, and probably the highlight of the World Cup .....that cringeworthy/brilliant (dependent on your view) ‘announcement of squad’ video..... when someone applied a sticker to the Bristol Bus Stop, did I hear ‘City Fans’ shouted when Jack Butland’s name was given? 

I think the World Cup may have peaked to early for us if that was the case!

19 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Most importantly, and probably the highlight of the World Cup .....that cringeworthy/brilliant (dependent on your view) ‘announcement of squad’ video..... when someone applied a sticker to the Bristol Bus Stop, did I hear ‘City Fans’ shouted when Jack Butland’s name was given? 

I think the World Cup may have peaked to early for us if that was the case!

No, they shouted “safe hands”. 

Good to know Bristolians are known for slapping stickers into bus stops though. There’s something City can be proud of - the stickers we produce are mint and we’ve got more designs than any other club. 

Just now, Lew-T said:

Phil Jones is a car crash. I’m guessing Smalling isn’t fit? I’d have him over the former.

Wilshere and Shelvey should be on standby at the very least.

Yep. Personally I can’t see what the fuss is with Jones. He looks so cumbersome. I don’t really rate Smalling either. 

We are really struggling for decent centre backs in this country at the moment. If Stones & Maguire are the best we can offer, it’s very disappointing. 

Archived