IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

I was in Southampton on Saturday for a football programme fair,mass's of passengers arriving at the same time.

Didn't realise that Take That were in concert at Saints ground.

So a favour to the younger element on here.

Take That are at Ashton Gate this coming weekend 8/9 June could I request if they(the younger element) would post on any music site to

buy there train tickets to Parson Street

Saying it avoids have to negotiate the ticket gates at Bristol Temple meads

Thanks

I have seen zero activity here in Pill, not one person working on the line anywhere. I have stated before I don't think this line will ever reopen, it might once have been a good idea but the world has changed, working from home Zoom etc has meant the demand from now on just won't be there, plus the cost has spiralled, it would be a great tourist attraction on the weekends but empty most days after 9 am a white Elephant in the making, I mean where does it go? Bedminster and Temple Meads are not very good for the average commuter.

Edited by pillred
  • Confused 1

I THINK you are referring to Parson Street,MOST local train stations don't have many passengers after 09:00am till 4pm ish Monday to Friday

If you think of all the new train stations there are in Bristol area

Shirehampton park and ride Ashley down nearing completion along with Filton Abbey wood,Cam and Dursley as well as Yate

Some one thought it was a good idea to re-open them.

13 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I THINK you are referring to Parson Street,MOST local train stations don't have many passengers after 09:00am till 4pm ish Monday to Friday

If you think of all the new train stations there are in Bristol area

Shirehampton park and ride Ashley down nearing completion along with Filton Abbey wood,Cam and Dursley as well as Yate

Some one thought it was a good idea to re-open them.

But they are North of the river in well-populated areas, we are talking about Portishead and Pill here, can you tell me if there will be a demand in the future? the working environment has changed most people in this area have office jobs and the world has moved on, it's £2 on the bus now, do you not think if the railway starts they will be able to compete with that? plus the bus stops at convenient places in the centre of town. Capital letters are not required I'm well aware of the argument for and against and am neither deaf nor stupid.

Edited by pillred
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

But they are North of the river in well-populated areas, we are talking about Portishead and Pill here, can you tell me if there will be a demand in the future? the working environment has changed most people in this area have office jobs and the world has moved on, it's £2 on the bus now, do you not think if the railway starts they will be able to compete with that? plus the bus stops at convenient places in the centre of town. Capital letters are not required I'm well aware of the argument for and against and am neither deaf nor stupid.

Perhaps considering there is a general election coming up and Liam Fox has been the North Somerset MP for 32 years(!), why the Tory governments, of which he has been a member, you could ask why this didn’t get this sorted far earlier. And yes a rail link would be useful as it would be far quicker than the bus, plus link to the rest of the rail network via Temple Meads. And there are certainly people who will use a train that won’t use a bus.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Perhaps considering there is a general election coming up and Liam Fox has been the North Somerset MP for 32 years(!), why the Tory governments, of which he has been a member, you could ask why this didn’t get this sorted far earlier. And yes a rail link would be useful as it would be far quicker than the bus, plus link to the rest of the rail network via Temple Meads. And there are certainly people who will use a train that won’t use a bus.

I couldn't agree more it's ridiculous how long this has been dragging on, and as for being quicker yes it might be but unless you work in Temple Meads it would not be as most people that might use it would then have to walk quite a distance to their job whereas the bus does tend to stop at more convenient places. 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

I couldn't agree more it's ridiculous how long this has been dragging on, and as for being quicker yes it might be but unless you work in Temple Meads it would not be as most people that might use it would then have to walk quite a distance to their job whereas the bus does tend to stop at more convenient places. 

The biggest developments of offices in Bristol in the last 10 years are all within a 10 minute walk of Temple Meads, many are literally outside the back door.

There is definitely movement going on here in Posset, and although you say there is nothing happening in Pill itself, looking across the river from the Port way there looks to be a lot of work going on clearing dead trees etc, presumably for future safety reasons.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Ha ha! Yes!

And the leaflets he’s been putting through my door tell me how he’s been working tirelessly in support of the railway.

As have his leaflets for all of the past 25 years.

He must be effing knackered by now. 

• Like 1