IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

Parson Street exit and entrances passenger numbers for year end november 2022 101,000 a big increase from november 2021 of 29,000

BUT way short of the 174,000 back in 2019/20

A request if you have any friends or relations travelling to Bristol Temple meads or any local station in the Bristol area

(including Bristol Parkway) ask them to have their ticket issued to Parson Street,even if they are heading for some where else in the greater bristol area

Edited by Never to the dark side
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Parson Street exit and entrances passenger numbers for year end november 2022 101,000 a big increase from november 2021 of 29,000

A request if you have any friends or relations travelling to Bristol Temple meads or any local station in the Bristol area

(including Bristol Parkway) ask them to have their ticket issued to Parson Street,even if they are heading for some where else in the greater bristol area

Obviously the Covid lockdown significantly effected 2021 figures.

Anyway, better than a station in Nottinghamshire, which had 40 odd passengers!

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Looks like the football traffic had bounced back well, but been a big drop in commuters, 

A lot of railway people I know now say the new rush hour is Saturday afternoon/evening, and it's still quite in the week, 

• Admin
9 hours ago, pillred said:

Well that's wrong for a start unless they are going to build a second track as at the moment it is a single line through Pill.

The second line will be added for the platform area, but will go back into single line either side

Not as long but the same premise as at Weston station

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

this reads like it was just mentioned in a low level council meeting rather than there has been any progress made.  The photo drives home how embarrassing it is that Bristol had a better transport network in the 1960s than it does in the 2020s.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

this reads like it was just mentioned in a low level council meeting rather than there has been any progress made.  The photo drives home how embarrassing it is that Bristol had a better transport network in the 1960s than it does in the 2020s.  

Go back before the war and bristol had a tram network too

• Like 1

15 hours ago, italian dave said:

And yet recent drives into Bristol for me have been increasingly traffic free, to the extent that there have been times when I have worried I have broken some rule on gone down a road that's for buses only or something.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We won`t get a station at AG because the s*gs can`t have one. Isn`t that the way it works? They object to anything that might have a slight benefit to us like bidding for the World Cup or saving the club.

Apparently Ashley Down is their equivalent.   Living in the area I really hope it gets built! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

And yet recent drives into Bristol for me have been increasingly traffic free, to the extent that there have been times when I have worried I have broken some rule on gone down a road that's for buses only or something.

Yes, have to say I haven’t found it too bad on the odd occasion I’ve gone into Bristol recently. The TV reports on the study seemed to focus on the ring road - which is kind of ironic, given the original intent of ring roads! Maybe it’s quicker to just drive through the middle of Bristol now! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

A lot more clearing work going on behind Sainsbury's and the new apartment block, also across the road towards Sheepway. They did that before, a couple of years ago, but it seems more in earnest this time. I assume the first construction step will be to redirect the road? 

57 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

A lot more clearing work going on behind Sainsbury's and the new apartment block, also across the road towards Sheepway. They did that before, a couple of years ago, but it seems more in earnest this time. I assume the first construction step will be to redirect the road? 

Why are they clearing behind the new apartment blocks do you know? The train won't cross conference avenue so won't go behind the apartments. Is that where the car park will be?

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Why are they clearing behind the new apartment blocks do you know? The train won't cross conference avenue so won't go behind the apartments. Is that where the car park will be?

Not according to the plan. It's hard to tell from this picture, but I think there may be pedestrian access from Sainsbury's car park around the back of their store. That would link in with the other paths in that area.

Screenshot_2023-02-07-16-14-13-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

1 hour ago, TomF said:

This bit makes me wonder:

The contract is in two stages, with an initial £6.14M for the design of the for multi-disciplinary works on the project including 5.5km of new railway between Pill and Portishead, with new stations at both. A business case will then be put forward in spring 2024, after which VolkerFitzpatrick will be instructed to construct the line if it is given the green light.

Funding is in place, planning permission granted. Business case for what?

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not according to the plan. It's hard to tell from this picture, but I think there may be pedestrian access from Sainsbury's car park around the back of their store. That would link in with the other paths in that area.

Screenshot_2023-02-07-16-14-13-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Capture.JPG.c3880510f0ce773457ec8d33f9f54ffa.JPG

_127650268_portisheadstation.jpg.393cfa2b1e0ee6f48851ac61f44057e3.jpg

Edited by TonyTonyTony

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This bit makes me wonder:

The contract is in two stages, with an initial £6.14M for the design of the for multi-disciplinary works on the project including 5.5km of new railway between Pill and Portishead, with new stations at both. A business case will then be put forward in spring 2024, after which VolkerFitzpatrick will be instructed to construct the line if it is given the green light.

Funding is in place, planning permission granted. Business case for what?

I thought the same Tony. And in fact most other sources are reporting this as a £6.14m contract, and simply as ‘part of the scheme to re-open the line”

For example https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/restoring-your-railway-contract-signing-brings-portishead-to-bristol-rail-services-a-step-closer

Like you, I’m not quite sure what more of a business case needs to be made. Maybe it’s the case that everything can be done for the anticipated costs and to meet the anticipated objectives. 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I thought the same Tony. And in fact most other sources are reporting this as a £6.14m contract, and simply as ‘part of the scheme to re-open the line”

For example https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/restoring-your-railway-contract-signing-brings-portishead-to-bristol-rail-services-a-step-closer

Like you, I’m not quite sure what more of a business case needs to be made. Maybe it’s the case that everything can be done for the anticipated costs and to meet the anticipated objectives. 

Im fully expecting the project be delayed when they discover 6 rare newts that have to be rehomed. That'll be another 10 M and 6 months

• Haha 1