IGNORED

Ashton gate halt and the Portishead rail line (Merged)

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This bit makes me wonder:

The contract is in two stages, with an initial £6.14M for the design of the for multi-disciplinary works on the project including 5.5km of new railway between Pill and Portishead, with new stations at both. A business case will then be put forward in spring 2024, after which VolkerFitzpatrick will be instructed to construct the line if it is given the green light.

Funding is in place, planning permission granted. Business case for what?

There’s funding for design but if the cost escalates too much, and it will be re-costed once the design is complete, then it may not proceed.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Im fully expecting the project be delayed when they discover 6 rare newts that have to be rehomed. That'll be another 10 M and 6 months

There are no rare newts in the UK. While the great crested newt has protected status in Europe the UK is a stronghold for the species and there are clear development mitigation measures to follow. 

15 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

There’s funding for design but if the cost escalates too much, and it will be re-costed once the design is complete, then it may not proceed.

Baffling. Either do it or don't. The wastage of the way the government plan projects is staggering

HS2 is costing 300 Million per mile...

On 07/02/2023 at 17:50, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There are no rare newts in the UK. While the great crested newt has protected status in Europe the UK is a stronghold for the species and there are clear development mitigation measures to follow. 

Either that, or there are some that are so rare that they only live along an old railway line in Sheepway and haven’t been discovered there………yet ?

On 07/02/2023 at 17:50, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Are you Ken Livingstone? ? 

• Admin
14 hours ago, TomF said:

Some interesting typos

image.png

image.png

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Just either side of the road where the old line is. Near the roundabout. Gonna have a nosey later on a dog walk

10 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Thanks for that

any chance of posting some pictures?

Looks like they are taking some core samples either side of the road. Obviously the road itself must be on pretty safe ground, but I think they are checking the areas either side to where the station will extend. 

Shame they lock the section heading out of town in the evening, it looks like it could be an interesting walk. :)

On 22/02/2023 at 19:39, TomF said:

That’s an improvement, as I thought there was only going to be two carriages once an hour?

14 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

image.thumb.png.f372d70620d9287c52aeaa909640c0fd.png

I took a couple of pictures today. One from a similar position - on the footbridge looking toward the suspension bridge, and one from the little bridge you can see in the background.

20230605_115930.thumb.jpg.a2ea6096dc6e7abbbaf4629a13746a44.jpg20230605_120043.thumb.jpg.8d380f456c05df15af7d217f26b58367.jpg

Edited by Sleepy1968
Reversed images for order
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

That’s an improvement, as I thought there was only going to be two carriages once an hour?

The line is still only going to be hourly as that is network rail wish list no money to do all the extra track work needed to allow a half hour service, 

It's not just the need for a loop at Pill, if I remember correctly for when I looked at the proposal a few years back the branch would also need to be doubled from Parson street to around the site of the old Ashton gate station, and putting the slow lines back in between Temple meads and parson at, Bedminster and parson street back to 4 platforms and the Exeter end bay platform back open at temple meads,

On a plus I believe both the new stations are going to be able to hold a new 5 car IET train so that should help with capacity on the line, 

15 minutes ago, TomF said:

I still think this would be a better option as ashton gate stop. Could have potentially used the old police horses place as car park behind as the caravan and camping club still struggling to get planning permission due to flood risk. 

Agreed. It would be easy to link into the existing footway network which leads to the stadium. It’s about a 15 min walk to the stadium. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

I think it’ll be open for the Dec timetable 2024 

That will be very optimistic last year the estimate was 2026 due to a £35 million increase in costs. I think even that is slightly optimistic though preparatory work is going on around pill.

Edited by pillred