IGNORED

41 years ago yesterday!

GrahamC

Coventry 2 City 2, Sunderland relegated.

What a night, as a 13 year old at the game (no school that day!) I knew it was a huge game, but only realised how big years later.

What a bloody team, too..

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Coventry 2 City 2, Sunderland relegated.

What a night, as a 13 year old at the game (no school that day!) I knew it was a huge game, but only realised how big years later.

What a bloody team, too..

And the reason why now all last game fixtures ko at the same time....

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

That season the best two fixtures were the first (the win at Arsenal) and the last, that Coventry game. Great games but totally different experiences, supreme confidence in the first, desperation in the last.

Agreed, but I have to add the double over Spurs (who finished bottom). After trouble in the ground at WHL instigated by the home fans, and being played off the park by Hoddle et al, our last minute winner was most satisfying. As was the controversial penalty that saw us beat them at home and condemn them to the drop. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Agreed, but I have to add the double over Spurs (who finished bottom). After trouble in the ground at WHL instigated by the home fans, and being played off the park by Hoddle et al, our last minute winner was most satisfying. As was the controversial penalty that saw us beat them at home and condemn them to the drop. 

Peter Cormack? I remember getting a right kicking after the game on that rough old path that used to go from behind the EE out to Winterstoke Road past the bus garage. It was looking pretty grim until a few of our lads appeared on the scene!

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Peter Cormack? I remember getting a right kicking after the game on that rough old path that used to go from behind the EE out to Winterstoke Road past the bus garage. It was looking pretty grim until a few of our lads appeared on the scene!

Lot of trouble at that game

Spurs came in the East End that night but caught a cold and had to be marched around the pitch to the open end

39 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Remember that game, they brought absolutely loads, it was pretty scary all around the ground & we beat them 2-0 (Cormack with both).

Pretty sure the game up there was the only top flight game played that day because England were playing (how times change) and Keith Fear slid in a late winner..

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember that game, they brought absolutely loads, it was pretty scary all around the ground & we beat them 2-0 (Cormack with both).

Pretty sure the game up there was the only top flight game played that day because England were playing (how times change) and Keith Fear slid in a late winner..

Good memory then Graham 

I would have had a few quid on 1-0 with the pen being the late winner

I trust your memory though !!!!

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

1-0 was what I thought as well but didn`t like to say anything.:whistle:

Trying to research it to check came across this - good article / piece

https://soccersouls.com/2013/11/17/reliving-the-great-escape-bristol-city-1976-77/

Unusually out for you Graham , ;) but  I Looks like it   was 1-0 @GrahamC

Sorry - had to check to satisfy my curiosity but found this good piece as a result !

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Trying to research it to check came across this - good article / piece

https://soccersouls.com/2013/11/17/reliving-the-great-escape-bristol-city-1976-77/

Unusually out for you Graham , ;) but  I Looks like it   was 1-0 @GrahamC

Sorry - had to check to satisfy my curiosity but found this good piece as a result !

I blame it on my age ;)

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I missed the home game due to work commitments but went to White Hart Lane in what was a relegation clash at the time. I remember it was a dreadful game regarding the quality of football but we came into it the last 15 minutes and scored a bit of a lucky goal. It was on MOTD but don't think they showed very much of it. I remember Geoff Merrick was outstanding that day and kept us in the game. As a result Spurs went down and we stayed up.

Archived