IGNORED

Gary Rowett

Super

1 minute ago, Selred said:

I know all these from reading the Damned United, cracking book 

Decent-ish film too....I’m grateful that I was around to experience the best years of management of the old school gaffers like Clough, Shanks, Paisley, Bobby Robson (13 years as Ipswich boss!), Graham Taylor, Alan Buckley, Ron Atkinson...characters, great man managers, ruffled feathers, very successful....

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Decent-ish film too....I’m grateful that I was around to experience the best years of management of the old school gaffers like Clough, Shanks, Paisley, Bobby Robson (13 years as Ipswich boss!), Graham Taylor, Alan Buckley, Ron Atkinson...characters, great man managers, ruffled feathers, very successful....

Nice list, although I don’t think I’ve seen Alan Buckley’s name in that kind of company before!!  Was he Walsall manager in that era....do we blame him for David €£@%ing Kelly and Fred Barber?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice list, although I don’t think I’ve seen Alan Buckley’s name in that kind of company before!!  Was he Walsall manager in that era....do we blame him for David €£@%ing Kelly and Fred Barber?

He was Walsall manager from 1978 to 1986...so we can only blame him for Kelly! He also turned out over 400 times for Walsall as a player. And he managed Grimsby for 11 years in three spells...I’ve always regarded him as a stalwart of our domestic game....love loyal, passionate guys like him...

48 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hinton wore white boots didn’t he? The first player to wear boots other than black ones I believe.....loved it when Clough dragged him back onto the pitch after a game and asked him to “show me the hole on the pitch” ..... “What hole boss?” said Hinton....”The one you’ve been f@cking hiding in all afternoon” ......

Alan Ball did around the same time 

Not sure Who was first - You May be right about Hinton being the first 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good shout! Apparently Ball used to paint his boots white for some reason....whereas Hinton was paid £1000 by the manufacturers I believe to wear his white boots....Cloughie hated them!

My dad wore a pair of White Alan Ball’s.  He wasn’t good enough to wear white boots.  Quite embarrassed when he told me he had a pair when he played.  

Hope you’re lurking on the Forums tonight Dad :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My dad wore a pair of White Alan Ball’s.  He wasn’t good enough to wear white boots.  Quite embarrassed when he told me he had a pair when he played.  

Hope you’re lurking on the Forums tonight Dad :facepalm:

Did he paint his boots white like Alan Ball did?! https://www.footy-boots.com/alan-balls-white-boots/

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good shout! Apparently Ball used to paint his boots white for some reason....whereas Hinton was paid £1000 by the manufacturers I believe to wear his white boots....Cloughie hated them!

Got me intrigued - Both were approached by Hummel who made them with big money to wear them

Researching it both wore them in 70/71 season and Hinton is widely acclaimed as the first 

But looking at this article it looks like Ball wore them in Charity Shield prior to that season

Before reading the article anyone able to name a third player to wear them (City connection) (I didn’t realise he did)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.footy-boots.com/alan-balls-white-boots/amp/

Before reading the article anyone able to name a third player to wear them (City connection) (I didn’t realise he did)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.footy-boots.com/alan-balls-white-boots/amp/

I give up! Don’t wanna cheat! It would be brill if he was called Alan too to complete a superb triumvirate......

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The late Jock Stein wasn't a bad manager either.

53 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Didn't George Best wear white boots, or was that Marjorie Wallace and Mary Stavin?

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The first pair of white boots I remember at AG was worn by Sunderland's John Yogi Hughes in 1970.

Are you sure you got that right Slarti? Yogi didn’t start his playing career until the ‘80s, he only played for Scottish and Welsh clubs and didn’t play for the Mackems and the other John Hughes lasted 15 minutes into his 1973 Sunderland debut before injury finished his career....apologies if I’ve got that wrong...

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

billy apparantlyAre you sure you got that right Slarti? Yogi didn’t start his playing career until the ‘80s, he only played for Scottish and Welsh clubs and didn’t play for the Mackems and the other John Hughes lasted 15 minutes into his 1973 Sunderland debut before injury finished his career....apologies if I’ve got that wrong...

Sorry, wrong Hughes........ Billy apparently, thought I wasn't going mad :cool:

Derby have to sell pretty much all their high earners and anyone they can get a fee for as that gambled a few years back spending serious money as they thought they'd get promoted,

goes to show that spending doesn't always get you up,

as another poster put it, gradual progress all the way

Archived