IGNORED

Summer tours 2018. Cricket.

EmissionImpossible

14 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Quite frankly it’s ridiculous, you get picked, told you’re batting 6 or 7 then get shoved up to 3 because Root is out of form. Make the decision before the game or not at all.

Think its more desperation by England to be in another other situation than 40-3 odd

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

Think its more desperation by England to be in another other situation than 40-3 odd

I understand that but Root needs to take responsibility and Moeen wants to bat 3 and Root wants to bat 4, make that decision before the game. They knew the batting order was struggling prior to  the game.

Also, god knows why Ishant has 2 warnings. Root poking away at his foot holes certainly exacerbated the matter.

Root needs to score big here.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

:englandsmile4wf:

In reality I'd take Ian Bell in a heartbeat, Rory Burns in for Cook as well.

I still wouldn’t drop Cook. But yes Ian Bell or Vince. Depends what they decide to do with Moeen. I know there’s a lot of Bess , Hildreth and Leach goggles on OTIB but I think the only one who has a sniff and maybe deserves a place is Hildreth but.....Ian Bells better.

1 minute ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I still wouldn’t drop Cook. But yes Ian Bell or Vince. Depends what they decide to do with Moeen. I know there’s a lot of Bess , Hildreth and Leach goggles on OTIB but I think the only one who has a sniff and maybe deserves a place is Hildreth but.....Ian Bells better.

Cook has had an awful summer, think he's averaging around 15, even before then he wasn't averaging a big amount probably mid 30's. He's coming towards the end of his run and we should be looking at players who are in form now. I think Leach deserves another shot at the test team, missed out through injury rather than being dropped. I'd have him over Rashid. Wouldn't pick Vince, he's had so many chances and always gets out the same way, bowlers know how to get him out at test level. Potentially another Ramps/Hick, potential to be a great county player but unable to step up.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Cook has had an awful summer, think he's averaging around 15, even before then he wasn't averaging a big amount probably mid 30's. He's coming towards the end of his run and we should be looking at players who are in form now. I think Leach deserves another shot at the test team, missed out through injury rather than being dropped. I'd have him over Rashid. Wouldn't pick Vince, he's had so many chances and always gets out the same way, bowlers know how to get him out at test level. Potentially another Ramps/Hick, potential to be a great county player but unable to step up.

They were making the point on TMS in the week that Root perhaps has too many senior players in the side to be able to captain effectively. They were saying he almost feels he has to check every decision with Cook, Anderson or Broad before making it. Personally I think he got the captaincy too soon - remember when Sir Ian got given it too early in his career, it nearly broke him.

I'd like to know how much pressure was put on Root to have Stokes straight back into a winning, settled side. Stokes might be a good player but after 5 days in court and irrespective of the judgement it was a risk they didn't need to take. I'd trying to imagine the cosy chat between Root and Stokes to see if he was mentally ready to be selected?

1 hour ago, Midred said:

I'd like to know how much pressure was put on Root to have Stokes straight back into a winning, settled side. Stokes might be a good player but after 5 days in court and irrespective of the judgement it was a risk they didn't need to take. I'd trying to imagine the cosy chat between Root and Stokes to see if he was mentally ready to be selected?

The fact Curran was dropped to accommodate him was a joke in itself, with ball and bat Curran was doing better.

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Personally I would have left the captaincy with Cook as I think he enjoys it. I think away from home that Leach starts but at home with the variation that Ali and Rashid offer, they will win far more games.  I agree with your views on Vince but I like the way he plays and with how he’s played recently I think he’s a better bat than Bairstow. The only way Bairstow should play is if he’s keeping wicket and batting at 6/7. However, Buttler is doing that and better. 

9 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Personally I would have left the captaincy with Cook as I think he enjoys it. I think away from home that Leach starts but at home with the variation that Ali and Rashid offer, they will win far more games.  I agree with your views on Vince but I like the way he plays and with how he’s played recently I think he’s a better bat than Bairstow. The only way Bairstow should play is if he’s keeping wicket and batting at 6/7. However, Buttler is doing that and better. 

Last week aside Leach hasn’t had that great a season.  Bess even poorer.

Vince reminds me of the elegance of Bell - with Bell we had to persist to begin with. Remember how bad he was in ashes 2005?  

55 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Last week aside Leach hasn’t had that great a season.  Bess even poorer.

Vince reminds me of the elegance of Bell - with Bell we had to persist to begin with. Remember how bad he was in ashes 2005?  

England will play two spinners for a fair bit of the winter tours, so Leach will go and from what I saw in the test match, Bess as a spinner doesn’t cut it quite yet.

To be fair to England, I can see (like with Bell) why they persist with Vince, you can’t expect a huge conveyor belt of players from county cricket, it produces players but by no means the finished articles. 

Archived