IGNORED

Summer tours 2018. Cricket.

EmissionImpossible

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I doubt it`s the way he wanted to do it but hey ho.

Nice one Cookie. Anyone else think Essex will be different gravy in the CC next season with him in the side full time? Might be worth a cheeky bet.

Honestly think he doesn't care how he got there just that he did 

What a great test series, not sure 4-1 was fair reflection but certainly an enjoyable series - possibly my favourite since the 2005 home ashes. My god when Jimmy goes we’re really going to be losing the last of a golden generation. Strauss, Cook, Pieterson, Bell, Trott, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Anderson.  Can we honestly say we’ve replaced any of them with equally or better players? Potentially Butler could be better than Prior with the bat, Stokes maybe has the Flintoff potential, Woakes/Curran maybe replace Jimmy and Broad. The biggest problem looking at that list of lost players is we’ve not replaced one of the top 4-5 players bar Root 

7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

What a great test series, not sure 4-1 was fair reflection but certainly an enjoyable series - possibly my favourite since the 2005 home ashes. My god when Jimmy goes we’re really going to be losing the last of a golden generation. Strauss, Cook, Pieterson, Bell, Trott, Prior, Flintoff, Swann, Anderson.  Can we honestly say we’ve replaced any of them with equally or better players? Potentially Butler could be better than Prior with the bat, Stokes maybe has the Flintoff potential, Woakes/Curran maybe replace Jimmy and Broad. The biggest problem looking at that list of lost players is we’ve not replaced one of the top 4-5 players bar Root 

We have to hope that the likes of Dom and Ollie Pope can fulfil their potential I guess.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Indeed, but do you think he will play another Test now he has the record?

Sri Lanka next up....

7 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Totally agree, although

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/33204493

'Stokes is better than me' says Flintoff. Very similar bowling average and Stokes a better batting one. Which is something I suppose but the rest of the team in comparison is a right state compared to 5 or 10 years ago. We don't even know which runners to back.

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, but do you think he will play another Test now he has the record?

Sri Lanka next up....

He'll want 600, I can see him going for another year at least, he's adapted his game and is still right up the top for series wicket takers. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

He'll want 600, I can see him going for another year at least, he's adapted his game and is still right up the top for series wicket takers. 

I'm not so sure.

First up Sri Lanka and then what is expected to be a spin-friendly tour to the West Indies.

No home Test until July 2019, against Ireland!

There is, of course, the small matter of another Ashes series in August 2019, but I remain sceptical and wouldn't be at all surprised if JA decided to retire now, going out on a high as the leading Test seamer.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm not so sure.

First up Sri Lanka and then what is expected to be a spin-friendly tour to the West Indies.

No home Test until July 2019, against Ireland!

There is, of course, the small matter of another Ashes series in August 2019, but I remain sceptical and wouldn't be at all surprised if JA decided to retire now, going out on a high as the leading Test seamer.

Jimmy needs 36 wickets, he averages over 20 per 5 match series in England so would probably need 20 over the winter/Ireland to be in the position to get it vs Australia. One last ashes victory would be a good way to go out. I think he easily has it in him to go for another year.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Stokes and Hales now charged by ECB for bringing the game into disrepute 

Was nailed on - especially Hales after he didn't look to great in the subsequent video footage

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute by the England and Wales Cricket Board following an incident outside a Bristol nightclub.

The independent Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) hearing will be held on 5 and 7 December.

All-rounder Stokes, 27, denied a charge of affray resulting from the September 2017 incident and was found not guilty in August.

Batsman Hales, 29, was not charged.

The CDC hearing will be held in private by a three-man panel chaired by former Derbyshire cricketer Tim O'Gorman.

It takes place between England's winter tours to Sri Lanka and West Indies.

England will play three Tests, five one-day internationals and a Twenty20 international in Sri Lanka in October and November.

They are then set to tour West Indies from mid-January to early March.

Stokes and limited-overs batsman Hales have been charged with two counts of breaching an ECB directive which states:

• "No-one may conduct themself in a manner or do any act or omission at any time which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket, or which may bring the ECB, the game of cricket or any cricketer or group of cricketers into disrepute."

The Bristol incident, in which Stokes became involved in a street brawl, occurred several hours after England had played a one-day international against the West Indies at the County Ground.

Stokes and Hales, who was present at the incident, were referred to the CDC by ECB director of cricket Andrew Strauss in September 2017.

The hearing was put on hold until the criminal case was over.

Stokes was unavailable for selection for last winter's Ashes tour, where England were beaten 4-0 by Australia.

He missed the second Test against India at Lord's due to the trial but returned for the third, while Hales is not involved with the red-ball squad.

Speaking on the day the court case ended, Stokes' lawyer Paul Lunt said the Durham player was "keen to get back to cricket being his sole focus".

England Test squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Keaton Jennings, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.

Archived