IGNORED

Community game

Red Army 75

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bitton this year . Fantastic day out for the family. 

City will face Bitton AFC in the club’s annual Community Match. 

Sponsored by ETM Recycling, the Western League Premier Division side will welcome Lee Johnson’s squad to the WDS Associates Legal Services Stadium on Sunday, July 8th (2pm kick-off).

For the past five years, City have begun pre-season with a friendly against a local amateur team, with all profits equally split between Bristol City Community Trust and the host club.

Ashton & Backwell United, Portishead Town, Keynsham Town, Brislington, Hengrove Athletic and Bristol Manor Farm have benefited in recent seasons, and Bitton are the latest club to hold the annual fixture. 

“It is with great pleasure and excitement that our club has been selected to host this year’s Community Match,” said Bitton AFC chairman John Langdon.

“We have just celebrated our 125th season of football in the community so for Bristol City to visit an FA Charter Standard Development club like ourselves, whose young players aspire to reach professional football, is a fitting tribute.”

The club’s official charity will be at the venue from 12noon, delivering a range of football-fun activities, free of charge, to supporters of all ages and abilities ahead of kick-off. 

Community Trust chief executive Dan White said: “We are delighted to take the annual Bristol City Community Match to Bitton as it demonstrates the club’s long-term commitment towards supporting the community.

“Bitton is a fantastic club and it will be a great occasion, as it always is. A big thank you must go to Lee Johnson, his coaching staff and players for once again supporting the fixture.

“All the funds raised from the day will be invested back into grassroots football, helping to benefit the football provision available throughout the city.”

City head coach Lee Johnson commented: “We are looking forward to the Community Match at Bitton as they have notoriously been successful in recent years.

“The fans really enjoy getting into close proximity of the players and the players enjoy meeting all the fans. It’s a game that allows us to give a bit back to the local teams and I’m very much looking forward to it.”

Tickets will be priced at adults £7 and under-16s £4, all of which will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. 

Wheelchair and ambulant disabled supporters are to pay £7 and will receive a free carer if required.

The Community Match always proves a popular fixture amongst the fanbase so supporters are encouraged to pre-book their tickets to avoid disappointment. 

Parking is also available at the WDS Associates Legal Services Stadium (BS30 6HX ) for £3. 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

At what point to we go in to a collective meltdown because someone somewhere has heard that City will want a kickback of millions against the bar and burger franchise?

I just don't want to miss it if it's going to happen.

won't be long the gas normally spread that rumour every season

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not just that. But there is something suspicious about how these clubs seem to be delighted they have the game.

Something doesn't add up...

its almost as if these local teams don't want the 1000 odd who come to watch city play and spend loads on food and drink for the day, something is fishy 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

its almost as if these local teams don't want the 1000 odd who come to watch city play and spend loads on food and drink for the day, something is fishy 

I'm sure a fewer (possibly with a computer repair shop), will give us the inside story.

17 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yep . I’m surprised any of these local teams want to play us

Why wouldn't they?

It is a cool thing to do. For a club like Bitton their junior sections main fundraiser alongside subs will be their annual tournament. A tournament will help keep the Junior sections costs down. The sums raised by tournaments are not vast.

A cooler thing to do would be for a multi million pound business in Bristol City going you keep the lot. 

15 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Why wouldn't they?

It is a cool thing to do. For a club like Bitton their junior sections main fundraiser alongside subs will be their annual tournament. A tournament will help keep the Junior sections costs down. The sums raised by tournaments are not vast.

A cooler thing to do would be for a multi million pound business in Bristol City going you keep the lot. 

Think you missed my point. 

17 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Why wouldn't they?

Not sure if it happens anymore, but previously the subs didn't just go to fund the juniors in the past. A lot of it went to fund the seniors... 

21 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Why wouldn't they?

its a community trust game which is a registered charity

26 minutes ago, Selred said:

Not sure if it happens anymore, but previously the subs didn't just go to fund the juniors in the past. A lot of it went to fund the seniors... 

I have never heard of any Junior sides subs being used to fund a seniors team. Two at least of the teams City played junior sections are charities. Two at least of these clubs junior club finances are entirely separate to those of the adults.

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

its a community trust game which is a registered charity

Yes. Junior clubs in Bristol coach more kids weekly than the Community trust do. And a charitable act would be to assist these clubs, some of whom are charities coaching significant numbers of kids with limited means to extend their football participation in the community further.  

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

At what point to we go in to a collective meltdown because someone somewhere has heard that City will want a kickback of millions against the bar and burger franchise?

I just don't want to miss it if it's going to happen.

@Bristol Rob You are slightly missing the point on this. The games that were subsequently called off because of City's demands were not the community games, they were against other sides

Though to me I still think it would be a greater thing for us to donate all the money raised to the home team as it would surely have a better community impact that way?

Do we REALLY need 50% of sales on burgers etc?

Presuming all those annoyed that the club are doing pre-season in Spain will be at this game in Bitton paying their £7000, sorry £7, to get up close and personal with the City players?

I'll look forward to seeing their pictures of the day!

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry for my ignorance @Monkeh 

So "we" would take all the money as the charity and pay them, Rather than the other way around?

The money gets divided up 50/50. The host club gets to spend it as they wish and the Community Trust would use their 50% to help an array of other worthy causes within the community. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Presuming all those annoyed that the club are doing pre-season in Spain will be at this game in Bitton paying their £7000, sorry £7, to get up close and personal with the City players?

I'll look forward to seeing their pictures of the day!

For about a tenner, you could go to Warmley pitch n putt as well.

Just like Marbs. But on a budget.

The kids of Instagram will be 'Well Jell' 

(Awaits @Harry to explain the injustice of this particular golfing Mecca)

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

For about a tenner, you could go to Warmley pitch n putt as well.

Just like Marbs. But on a budget.

The kids of Instagram will be 'Well Jell' 

(Awaits @Harry to explain the injustice of this particular golfing Mecca)

Ah yes, Warmley Pitch n Putt. Spent many an after-school evening down there on my short game. 

The injustice! Well, it was an under-15’s tournament which I’d entered despite being only 13. I won. Shooting my best score ever on the course. Totally outplayed the whole field, who were older and more experienced lads. 

When the prizes were awarded, 2nd & 3rd places received a nice medal. Me, I didn’t get a medal (so had nothing to commemorate my stupendous victory). I received a radio alarm clock. Some sh*tty piece of sh*t from a car boot sale I’d guess. I s’pose it was digital, which was rather posh for the times, but still - a medal would’ve been nice. 

Banjo territory weren’t it. Guess they didn’t like a red doing the business on their own turf! 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Alas, Warmley Pitch and Putt is no more. 

Really? Haven’t been out that way for ages. Shame that. Memories of a hole in one on the 15th, plus another kind of hole on the 13th green!!! 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Really? Haven’t been out that way for ages. Shame that. Memories of a hole in one on the 15th, plus another kind of hole on the 13th green!!! 

Yeah I live opposite and it’s just a field for dog walkers now (think I once saw Dopey emerging from one of the bushes looking shifty) 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah I live opposite and it’s just a field for dog walkers now (think I once saw Dopey emerging from one of the bushes looking shifty) 

Bloody allotments!

Happy days, the mighty red machine just down the road and deep into supposed gas territory.

Should be a good day! Hope to see loads of OTIB'ers there. 

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was lucky or unlucky 13?  Not sure I should ask! :crying:

Bitton, nice and local delighted with this one. Might even walk down from Hanham as parking is a nightmare at the best of times at Bitton never mind with the huge crowd by their standards they will attract for a fixture against the mighty Reds.

Went for a skittles match tonight in the Heath club and the gas diehards are NOT happy about this at all! :) 'It should be the gas playing there, not the ****ing shit'! 

Maybe saying 'we're taking over the rest of the city' wasn't the right thing to say. ;)

Archived