IGNORED

Magnússon on his way

foghornred

On 03/06/2018 at 23:23, dave36 said:

Have to wonder what is going on at the gate and how much favourites figure in selection. 

LJ can’t see the advantages of Mags in the championship but CSKA see him as a player worth investing in!  

somewhere someone has got it wrong! will be sorry to see him go.

I can’t see LJ’s ability in man managing the future of our club, his choices don’t add up, selection is shit, team morale is questionable.

From Xmas on he he selected the same players over and over again, no motivation, unfit, injured and just pure crap - was that selection on ability or personality??

well the same mistakes hampered him, he cost us goals and kept making the same mistake time and again, when he won his position back into the squad up pops another mistake and he's dropped,

its nothing to do with personality but to do with ability 

8 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'm annoyed that we're letting him go. By all accounts, the fee we're getting isn't much more than what we paid for him, so what's the point in having a policy where we recruit youngsters and sell on at a profit if we don't make a profit and we sell while they're still young?

The clappers all say “we got our money back with a year left on his contract”

he going to a Champions League team they are paying peanuts 

Just now, Monkeh said:

well the same mistakes hampered him, he cost us goals and kept making the same mistake time and again, when he won his position back into the squad up pops another mistake and he's dropped,

its nothing to do with personality but to do with ability 

He didn’t cost goals, Joe half assed Bryan cost the goals but as he “1 of our own “ St Bryan gets away with murder.

his ability was fine behind People who didn’t wander off

6 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Im not sure whether this is a huge mistake, and were letting go a potentially very, very good player, or he does make to many panic decisions and costs us unnecessarily at times. 

The former I suspect.

As has been said on here previously everybody makes mistakes.

He made very few at the beginning of his time here but struggled to get into matches when he was asked to change position or when coming  on as a sub .

I suspect that there is something of a problem between the player and the coaching staff so it's best for all parties to part company.

You can't win 'em all.

I like mags. Decent player who always puts in 100%. Obviously loves the club and the fans. 

But there were times this season when he very much looked the weak link. Even during our good form before christmas. 

The defence seemed nervous whenever the ball went anywhere near him.

The thing that always concerned me most was how often he got himself under the ball when dealing with an aerial threat. He always seemed to misjudge it fractionally. 

I'm not sure what has gone wrong with mags as im sure there is a very good championship player in there... but i'm suprised as to how little it bothers me that hes leaving. He could well go on to be the next ayling (who i wasn't bothered when he left but now wish we had kept).

49 minutes ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

He didn’t cost goals, Joe half assed Bryan cost the goals but as he “1 of our own “ St Bryan gets away with murder.

his ability was fine behind People who didn’t wander off

I take your point about JB, but HM did cost some goals, especially on more than one occasion when he tried to keep (and then lost) possession near to goal rather than (apparently, contrary to instructions) just hoofing the ball out of play.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I take your point about JB, but HM did cost some goals, especially on more than one occasion when he tried to keep (and then lost) possession near to goal rather than (apparently, contrary to instructions) just hoofing the ball out of play.

How many goals has Flapper cost the team?

Toblerone foot (not including his og)

Pack was once another 1.

Bryan & Kent especially in that Sunderland & after that.

Wright?

tally them up individually guaranteed Maggers is the best out of them all.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

I'm annoyed that we're letting him go. By all accounts, the fee we're getting isn't much more than what we paid for him, so what's the point in having a policy where we recruit youngsters and sell on at a profit if we don't make a profit and we sell while they're still young?

You need to add the wages paid to his total cost.

Does anyone actually know what was paid and what the selling price will be though?

Never looked comfortable in this league and strikes me as a player who will do better in a less physical, slower league. I just don’t think the Championship suits him, I don’t think he’s a bad player  

Good luck to him but hardly a big loss. Has had multiple opportunities to grasp a consistent place and not taken them. 

Flint, Baker and Wright are all better center backs and he looks even less comfortable as a full back so why keep him if you can recover the outlay. No brainer. 

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You need to add the wages paid to his total cost.

Does anyone actually know what was paid and what the selling price will be though?

My understanding was we were paying in installments, based on appearances I would imagine. Perhaps this is why he featured so little. But no, in answer to your question I’m not aware of any figures.

i think Hörður was an improving player. He certainly seemed a bit shaky at first, but seemed to grow in the role.

I'd have said it was a mistake letting him go right now, but who can deny the lad a chance to play for a club ranked in the top 40 of European clubs.  Even if it is in ******* Russia.

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

i think Hörður was an improving player. He certainly seemed a bit shaky at first, but seemed to grow in the role.

I'd have said it was a mistake letting him go right now, but who can deny the lad a chance to play for a club ranked in the top 40 of European clubs.  Even if it is in ******* Russia.

Part of the problem was that he was filling in at left back one week, then left side of the centre back - he never really seemed to get enough game time to get up to speed with the English game

Of course some of the problem was covering for Joe Bryan who had a habit of switching off during games leaving Hordur exposed

All through the last season I read loads of posts slating Magnússon's selection whenever he has played, with criticism left right and centre that he's a mistake waiting to happen and pointing out the numerous times that he has cost us goals and that he is not comfortable with championship football.

Now suddenly, when it looks like he is leaving, according to this thread, he appears to have all the potential in the world, LJ doesn't know what he is doing letting him go and we are making the biggest transfer mistake in our history.

Is everyone talking about the same player or is it perhaps more a case of looking for another stick with which to beat the coach/owner/MA/club/BS?

• Admin
13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

All through the last season I read loads of posts slating Magnússon's selection whenever he has played, with criticism left right and centre that he's a mistake waiting to happen and pointing out the numerous times that he has cost us goals and that he is not comfortable with championship football.

Now suddenly, when it looks like he is leaving, according to this thread, he appears to have all the potential in the world, LJ doesn't know what he is doing letting him go and we are making the biggest transfer mistake in our history.

Is everyone talking about the same player or is it perhaps more a case of looking for another stick with which to beat the coach/owner/MA/club/BS?

You are right @downendcity but it tends to be different people respond depending on the nature of a thread. Very easy to go with a thread topic, but not so easy to go against it!

1 hour ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Pack was once another 1.

Wright?

Don't bet a pint on it ...

If you are interested in stats sites stats bomb and squawka they define defensive errors as mistakes that directly lead to a goal.

Magnússon total defensive errors - 2. 1 Every 11.5 appearances.

Flint is 1 in 18.5.

Bailey Wright 1 in 36.

Baker and Bryan are the highest defensive performers = Least mistakes x performances.

Worst - Pisano 1 in 7.5 although that figure is skewed by lack of appearances

2 hours ago, Maggersno1Fan said:

Pack was once another 1.

Wright?

Don't get me wrong: if, as now seems likely, HM does leave, then I, for one, shall be disappointed and not convinced entirely it was the correct decision.

Of course other players cost goals - the last minute, costly and perhaps season changing aberration by Marlon Pack against Wolves being one that sticks prominently and frustratingly in my mind.

My post was simply to contradict one comment in your post 'He didn’t cost goals', because, as I said, he most certainly did.

In his defence, however, one should ask whether he might have conceded fewer goals had he been afforded better cover in front of him, and that, perhaps, is where your comment about JB becomes relevant.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Welcome to OTIB :laughcont:

Just like for the last 6 months every player has been shit and now everyone’s having a melt down that some of them might not be here next season!

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Don't get me wrong: if, as now seems likely, HM does leave, then I, for one, shall be disappointed and not convinced entirely it was the correct decision.

Of course other players cost goals - the last minute, costly and perhaps season changing aberration by Marlon Pack against Wolves being one that sticks prominently and frustratingly in my mind.

My post was simply to contradict one comment in your post 'He didn’t cost goals', because, as I said, he most certainly did.

In his defence, however, one should ask whether he might have conceded fewer goals had he been afforded better cover in front of him, and that, perhaps, is where your comment about JB becomes relevant.

I'm more convinced after the last season, that our defensive problems are magnified by the way we defend or not, further up the pitch. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Is this official then? I’ve just bought a bloody Iceland top to wear to the Argentina game with his name on.

Well one thing that is for certain is he will be in an Iceland shirt this summer.... 

I have a sneaky feeling there may be another twist yet 

Archived