IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

7 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Well after watching France tonight I wonder what lies ahead for us - Olympic diving championship win from France and the ref joined in, demonstrating how important it is to be impertial, not, even the French coach kept turning his back when they threw themselves down. 

Directive from FIFA perhaps or falling in line with commentary “entitled to go down” what a croc of shit.

It was certainly the case that France made the most of every foul and got a free kick. Belgium when they stayed on their feet and attempted  to play on were given no advantage at all. Why the foul just outside the French penalty area was ignored by the referee was  a mystery in itself! I'm never quite sure where the border line is between cheating and "sportsmanship" is but the French took it as far as they could and got away with it. Beware England if they get through. 

France’s route to the final hasn’t been easy. Argentina, then Uruguay (albeit missing Cavani), then Belgium - if they win the World Cup on Sunday, they’ll certainly have done it the hard way.   

Edit: just to add, if England or Croatia prove to be good enough to beat the team that beat Argentina, Uruguay and Belgium, then they’ll have earned it too. Just in case it appears I’m saying only France deserve to win the whole thing (far from it at this stage!). 

On 08/07/2018 at 12:11, Northern Red said:

Yes! It was surprise that the question even needed to be asked.

I think the question needed to be asked! It’s just a little bit too easy to get knighted in our country - often for a quick, short term bit of success....like winning a few races on a bicycle....surely it should reflect a lifetime of dedication, commitment and a long term contribution to our country in a very important capacity that isn’t always high-profile....the true unsung heroes of our country are continually ignored.....

Am I missing something? After Brazil won the World Cup three times (1958, 1862, 1970) they were permanently awarded the Jules Rimet Trophy and a new trophy commissioned. Since then the Germans have won the World Cup in 1970, 1990 and 2014 but no award and no new trophy. Is this because they have won as West Germany and Germany, or is there another reason?

10 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

France look very strong - if anyone can beat them they will be very worth winners. 

In a strange sort of way I think France's style suits us a bit better than Belgium. Either of them would've been a hard game.

Belgium certainly proved me wrong - didn't think they'd do better than Quarter Final's at best. I thought they had a good squad but wouldn't work as a team. Seems Martinez is a bit better than I thought!

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In a strange sort of way I think France's style suits us a bit better than Belgium. Either of them would've been a hard game.

Belgium certainly proved me wrong - didn't think they'd do better than Quarter Final's at best. I thought they had a good squad but wouldn't work as a team. Seems Martinez is a bit better than I thought!

Agree

IF IF  IF :sign09:

we get there

I think both Belgium and France have overall better sides and squads than us with numerous potential match winners and top top players

My only thought was I think there’s more of a chance the French side  than the Belgians could have an off day against us and stutter if it started to go wrong 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

we get there

I think both Belgium and France have overall better sides and squads than us with numerous potential match winners and top top players

My only thought was I think there’s more of a chance the French side  than the Belgians could have an off day against us and stutter if it started to go wrong 

Yep exactly. I think that France team could potentially suffer with overconfidence. They basically admitted they underestimated Portugal in 2016 and that was with Ronaldo in their side!

We've seen with our own eyes Pogba have a poor game against a side he probably expected to walk all over. Griezman has a tendency to sulk a bit too. If you manage him like Uruguay did, M'Bappe can be nulified.

I think man for man they're better than us, it really is an excellent France squad. I just think our team at the moment epitomises togetherness and in a one off game like the World Cup final anything can happen..

It's not like we haven't got players they'll be worried about either. If we get there, it'll be a massive test.. but not beyond us :fingerscrossed:

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

we get there

I'm not sure the French would suit us. Maybe at first, but if we went a goal down then it would be game over IMO.

Deschamps has been criticised for the team being negative, and they showed yesterday they could defend a one goal lead for a large chunk of the second half and close out a game.

I do think- whoever the final is between- it will be first team to score wins.

21 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not sure the French would suit us. Maybe at first, but if we went a goal down then it would be game over IMO.

Deschamps has been criticised for the team being negative, and they showed yesterday they could defend a one goal lead for a large chunk of the second half and close out a game.

I do think- whoever the final is between- it will be first team to score wins.

Suit us ‘more than Belgium’ was the original point 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Suit us ‘more than Belgium’ was the original point 

I'm not sure they do though.

Had Belgium been in the final I wouldn't be saying first goal wins it, because I think they can be got at defensively, and our strength is going forwards rather than defending, so facing a team who will play a bit more expansively suits us more than one that likes to absorb pressure and counter.

22 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not sure they do though.

Had Belgium been in the final I wouldn't be saying first goal wins it, because I think they can be got at defensively, and our strength is going forwards rather than defending, so facing a team who will play a bit more expansively suits us more than one that likes to absorb pressure and counter.

Ok that's fine - it's all hypothetical anyway.

Now the dust has settled, Pickford on the whole did ok, Walker, Stones and Maguire are far too casual at the back and their stray casual passes are always going to be a problem, Trippier was a great success, Young has never been good enough, Henderson has a great engine but lacks quality, Lingard and Ali for me are far too similar and they leave our midfield toothless and vulnerable last night after half an hour we surrendered midfield, midfield is our biggest concern against the better sides the present line up is no way near good enough, Kane looked jaded after the first game but that's football and Sterling accomplished nothing apart from keeping defences on their toes for the odd 45 minutes a wheelie bin would do the same, barely beat anybody, caught in possession far too often, virtually every cross hit the first defender.

As for the subs Dier was very average, Delph below average, Rashford was like a faster version of Sterling, Rose was ok but obviously lacking match fitness and Vardy below average. Loftus Cheek does make the midfield slightly stronger but on his own is not the answer.

We did well in this tournament but I believe Southgate has big problems to solve to give us a fully function midfield and I believe solve midfield and play either Ali or Lingard behind Kane and we will be a stronger team.

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Now the dust has settled, Pickford on the whole did ok, Walker, Stones and Maguire are far too casual at the back and their stray casual passes are always going to be a problem, Trippier was a great success, Young has never been good enough, Henderson has a great engine but lacks quality, Lingard and Ali for me are far too similar and they leave our midfield toothless and vulnerable last night after half an hour we surrendered midfield, midfield is our biggest concern against the better sides the present line up is no way near good enough, Kane looked jaded after the first game but that's football and Sterling accomplished nothing apart from keeping defences on their toes for the odd 45 minutes a wheelie bin would do the same, barely beat anybody, caught in possession far too often, virtually every cross hit the first defender.

As for the subs Dier was very average, Delph below average, Rashford was like a faster version of Sterling, Rose was ok but obviously lacking match fitness and Vardy below average. Loftus Cheek does make the midfield slightly stronger but on his own is not the answer.

We did well in this tournament but I believe Southgate has big problems to solve to give us a fully function midfield and I believe solve midfield and play either Ali or Lingard behind Kane and we will be a stronger team.

Agree with a majority of what you say sir, but disagree with the Pickford rating of "OK",  I thought he was excellent (to much emphasis on the Belgium goal) and Maguire who look better than ok. Apart from that, I would say spot on.

14 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Agree with a majority of what you say sir, but disagree with the Pickford rating of "OK",  I thought he was excellent (to much emphasis on the Belgium goal) and Maguire who look better than ok. Apart from that, I would say spot on.

My point re Pickford is he is not the finished article, he reminds of Lloris.

As for Maguire I agree he was immense the problem is when he suddenly thinks that he is a young Beckenbauer and goes on a run and loses the ball, because our midfield is so slow nobody drops in to cover him or occasionally he joins in with the casual passing attitude at the back and gets caught.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Anyone want to buy a waistcoat?  Worn once. :whistle:

Anyway, I shall be supporting France in the final, because I have French friends and I think Croatia were an unpleasant niggly team. 

Would have backed Croatia until I read Modric's post-match comments this morning. Now I hope the French absolutely smash it.

For the record: Modric claimed England were arrogant, ignorant and looked past Croatia to the final and that we basically deserved what we got. A little humility from players goes a long way and Modric has shown very little. Plus I don't think anyone looked past Croatia; everyone I've been speaking to has commented how they got a great squad on paper and could cause us a lot of problems.

I genuinely feel the foreign sense of humor simply doesn't get that the whole 'It's Coming Home' business (memes, internet videos etc.) was all a laugh, poking fun at ourselves almost, but they've taken it literally.

4 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Would have backed Croatia until I read Modric's post-match comments this morning. Now I hope the French absolutely smash it.

For the record: Modric claimed England were arrogant, ignorant and looked past Croatia to the final and that we basically deserved what we got. A little humility from players goes a long way and Modric has shown very little. Plus I don't think anyone looked past Croatia; everyone I've been speaking to has commented how they got a great squad on paper and could cause us a lot of problems.

I genuinely feel the foreign sense of humor simply doesn't get that the whole 'It's Coming Home' business (memes, internet videos etc.) was all a laugh, poking fun at ourselves almost, but they've taken it literally.

Modric, for all his Galactico past, was not Croatia's best player last night IMO.  I'd give that to Mandzukic or Rakitic (sp?).

As to your final sentence. I wholeheartedly agree. Least able to "get it" has predictably been the Scots. They think it shows "arrogance". But then again, they think everything an English person does shows"arrogance". We'll have to remember in 2022, to get two comedians to release a song about expecting to be knocked out at every hurdle...  :whistle:

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

I think he was referring to Rio Ferdinand who optimistically predicted a 3-0 England win, wiping the floor with the Croats. 

On 11/07/2018 at 09:21, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Am I missing something? After Brazil won the World Cup three times (1958, 1862, 1970) they were permanently awarded the Jules Rimet Trophy and a new trophy commissioned. Since then the Germans have won the World Cup in 1970, 1990 and 2014 but no award and no new trophy. Is this because they have won as West Germany and Germany, or is there another reason?

I think you may be....

11 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well, on the whole, you've pretty much got absolutely everything wrong with this post. :blink:

Starting from "Pickford on the whole did ok..." !!!!!

Archived