IGNORED

2018 World Cup

daored

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Croatia have another gear, when they find it. I thought they were sensational when beating Argentina 3-0. Would rather have had Russia, but cannot really complain with Croatia in a semi overall. 

Realistically any team reaching the semi final should expect tough opposition and a hard game.

Can't imagine Southgate or the players will underestimate Croatia.

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That's weird, on the TV guide it says it is on…and on Radio Times website

Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 22.14.01.png

I think they will have the provisional schedules up which change if England get there - for example my TV guide today with the paper had BBC for the 7pm game.

If I recall, the deal is that as BBC had two group games, ITV got round 2 then it goes in turns until the final - when they both show it.

Boo.

It's exclusive to ITV, they had first choice of semi final.

The schedules on Sky EPGs, TV guides etc are provisional. Had England lost today, ITV would have picked the France-Belgium semi as first choice so the BBC would have been showing the other one on the Wednesday. 

8 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It's exclusive to ITV, they had first choice of semi final.

The schedules on Sky EPGs, TV guides etc are provisional. Had England lost today, ITV would have picked the France-Belgium semi as first choice so the BBC would have been showing the other one on the Wednesday. 

Annoying given 1990/1996 semis were on both 

This morning I turned on the Russia Today news channel (Sky 511) to see their reaction to last night's result.

The players have apologised saying they are not good enough. Fans however were in the streets celebrating claiming it was a good result and the team progressed further than expected.

If England had gone out yesterday, would our reactions have been the same?

21 minutes ago, 22A said:

This morning I turned on the Russia Today news channel (Sky 511) to see their reaction to last night's result.

The players have apologised saying they are not good enough. Fans however were in the streets celebrating claiming it was a good result and the team progressed further than expected.

If England had gone out yesterday, would our reactions have been the same?

I think most of us are/would have been happy with the quarters and anything after that a happy bonus.

Even England don't get past Croatia it'll still have been a good World Cup imv.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think most of us are/would have been happy with the quarters and anything after that a happy bonus.

Even England don't get past Croatia it'll still have been a good World Cup imv.

The only good World Cup is when you win it

But I understand what you mean

( Fed up with near misses from City and England - Time to grasp the opportunity we’ve been given - they don’t come round more than once a generation)

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The only good World Cup is when you win it

But I understand what you mean

Plus how much were pissing off the bitter Welsh/Scots at moment is most enjoyable. I see the semi as a free hit - no expectations just a huge opertunity 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Has anyone thought a week today we COULD be preparing for a world cup final! Still hard to believe we are so close.

How are the players feeling?

A year ago we played Scotland in a WC qualifier and also France. Henderson and McGuire were not even in the squad. Ashley Young was not only not in the  squad but seemed to be on the way out at Man U. Could any of them they then believed they would be in this situation now?

I've said before that it is astounding to think that we are closer to WC success with a manager who few wanted  and whose CVincludes relegation at Boro and a squad of largely new internations, than we ever were with the golden generation and a succession of highly paid "top" managers ( and the wally with the brolly).

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How are the players feeling?

A year ago we played Scotland in a WC qualifier and also France. Henderson and McGuire were not even in the squad. Ashley Young was not only not in the  squad but seemed to be on the way out at Man U. Could any of them they then believed they would be in this situation now?

I've said before that it is astounding to think that we are closer to WC success with a manager who few wanted  and whose CVincludes relegation at Boro and a squad of largely new internations, than we ever were with the golden generation and a succession of highly paid "top" managers ( and the wally with the brolly).

Perhaps that's been the difference this time. No obvious big egos in the team or management. No Rooneys or Beckhams or over hyped manager.

Idle thought should England win the World Cup next week. 2019 sees both the rugby and cricket World Cups. France are good at football and rugby. Aus, SA & NZ are good at cricket and rugby. Is England the only nation with a realistic chance of winning all three world cups?

For winning the football World Cup, manager Alf Ramsey was knighted. For winning the rugby cup, manager Clive Woodward was knighted. Should it happen, will we hear "Arise Sir Gareth Southgate"?

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Idle thought should England win the World Cup next week. 2019 sees both the rugby and cricket World Cups. France are good at football and rugby. Aus, SA & NZ are good at cricket and rugby. Is England the only nation with a realistic chance of winning all three world cups?

For winning the football World Cup, manager Alf Ramsey was knighted. For winning the rugby cup, manager Clive Woodward was knighted. Should it happen, will we hear "Arise Sir Gareth Southgate"?

Is this a serious question?

2 minutes ago, winterbournered said:

When you book your holiday thinking no need to worry about the possibility of missing one of the semi-finals :grr:

On the plus side, win and I'll be watching the final in Benalmadena. 

if we do I can recommend bonanza square, loads of sports bars its up the hill from the sail roundabout or ask a taxi driver, only a couple of Euros from sea front.

Archived