IGNORED

Mark Ashton

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

We’re are you. Let’s be avin you.

Seems to have disappeared. Or is JL the face and voice of the future 

Did you mean where? I’ve called the grammar police (they’re at Letsby Avenue, by coincidence).

12 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Oh no......’strategic direction of the league’. 

What does that mean really anyway?

Why people talk like that, seemingly just for the sake of it, is beyond me. I've always been far more impressed by politicians, CEOs etc who just talk simply. It's possible to be effective in a high powered position without it introducing a whole new pretentious vocabulary.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

I'm not him and neither is my wife!

I don't understand what people want him to be doing. Isn't his job best done behind the scenes and in private?

Last time he was doing his job behind the scenes and in private there was loads of innuendo on here about him and the media bird.

Wasn’t that right @Septic Peg?

;)

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What does that mean really anyway?

Why people talk like that, seemingly just for the sake of it, is beyond me. I've always been far more impressed by politicians, CEOs etc who just talk simply. It's possible to be effective in a high powered position without it introducing a whole new pretentious vocabulary.

Got to disagree with the idea that, in this instance, Ashton talking about the strategic direction of the League is evidence of pretentous vocabulary.  He has been guilty of that, for sure, but not here.

What it means is that the League should have a plan in thinking about the future, a plan that covers a wide range of things, and is integrated so that these different areas all make sense together - as far as possible.  It makes sense for individual clubs not only to think about their individual interests, but stand back and see the wood for the trees.  It makes sense not just to think about the amount of money coming in through TV rights now, but also for them to have different scenarios planned for the future in case rights revenue gores up OR down.  And so on and so on.

The opposite of strategy is tactics - the short term actions one takes to meet an immediate challenge or threat.  If you just take short-term tactical decisions you stand a greater chance of  unforeseen, unconsdiered implications  coming back to bite you.

Now of course you can have a crap strategy, as you can have crap tactics, but by and large thinking as widely as possible about planning is not merely sensible but what individuals as well as organisations try to do.  Indeed most flok are pretty crtiical of those who just fly by the seat of their pants.

Nor is the langauge of tactics and strategy new at all.  In military terms it has been understood for hundreds  - even thousands of years.  

Of course Ashton - like any organisational leader - should be, and is, open to criticism, but I reckon he can be cut a bit of slack here.

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Last time he was doing his job behind the scenes and in private there was loads of innuendo on here about him and the media bird.

Wasn’t that right @Septic Peg?

;)

Don't know what you mean??? Innuendos???

All I know is Lisa and Mark are so devoted to their jobs, they are happy to put in overtime. :whistle:

Can't see him doing much overtime if he's an overlord at the EFL now though...

@Phileas Fogg sorry chap. I'm childish and puerile. It's two of my many querks. Apologies if it's not to your taste. Totes understand.

1 minute ago, Septic Peg said:

All I know is Lisa and Mark are so devoted to their jobs, they are happy to put in overtime. :whistle:

@Phileas Fogg sorry chap. I'm childish and puerile. It's two of my many querks. Apologies if it's not to your taste. Totes understand.

Haha, I just felt it went a bit far last time that’s all. It potentially jeopardises the forum if things like that get out of hand and none of us would want that.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Not quirks. Qualities. Life’s too short for me. I’m 51 and love that sort of humour.

I’m delighted to be thought of as juvenile or even puerile at times.

And as for that permanently grinning bastard. I’d be delighted if he gets the EFL job.

He’ll have plenty of impressionable ladies falling at his feet there.....

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haha, I just felt it went a bit far last time that’s all. It potentially jeopardises the forum if things like that get out of hand and none of us would want that.

I do understand. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed but I will stick a toe over it occassionally... :thumbsup:

I try to be a bit risque but not libellous so double entendres and the whole "Carry On" style is my thing.

58 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Not quirks. Qualities. Life’s too short for me. I’m 51 and love that sort of humour.

I’m delighted to be thought of as juvenile or even puerile at times.

And as for that permanently grinning bastard. I’d be delighted if he gets the EFL job.

He’ll have plenty of impressionable ladies falling at his feet there.....

I'm 32 and hope I'm just as blunt and awkward as I am now! My poor son will put me in a home when I'm in my 70s so I can harass the other residents. I'm one of those people that if there's an elephant in the room, I don't just point it out and discuss it, nope, I'm clambering on the damn thing whilst singing "Non je ne regrette rien" by Edith Piaf. That's me to an absolute tee. My poor husband must really hate me sometimes. :laughcont:

49 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

With MA now otherwise engaged, wonder if that means we can free up wages to bring in a decent scout and - looking at the Flint deal - a transfer fee/contract negotiator?

Could be a good day after all. 

Job for Cotts innit.

5 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Holy shit.

Leave. Now. Before you do an Oyston on us.

5 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Holy shit.

Leave. Now. Before you do an Oyston on us.

Looks like he’s about to say problems.... it’s a Volvo sir no problems with them even if it was built in 1980.

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

He's just been elected to the English Football League board

He always said he "likes to get his business done early in the summer" - perhaps he was referring to himself? Not sure he's managed it yet for the club.

I realise being a board member isn't a massive distraction, but any distraction does feel awfully premature for someone with serious work to do for us.

I mean clearly he isn't being rewarded for his hit and miss work building our team - only for being part of an upwardly mobile club with a nice stadium. 

As for being voted in by other Championship clubs... I'm sure everyone else had better things to focus on. Burton left and he is next to be stitched up. 

4 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

With MA now otherwise engaged, wonder if that means we can free up wages to bring in a decent scout and - looking at the Flint deal - a transfer fee/contract negotiator?

Could be a good day after all. 

#AnnounceScudamore

Archived