IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

31 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Whoever is running our twitter needs a head check. Read the ******* room. Should have been announced with zero fuss or emotion and never spoken of again. It’s like we’re ******* celebrating it. 

If you’re reading this JL and Co, and it’s not already abundantly clear - our bitter rivals have had our pants down because of OUR failings. That is not something to be proud of. 

The subliminal message they want us to get is pathway, pathway, pathway.

We aren’t ******* stupid, we know this, now show us the plan for spending £20m+ after losing 3/4 first teamers and a couple of squad players so we don’t crash & burn like last season.

Reid is gone, the fans are the ones who stay..

It's really gutting to see him move to Cardiff, and I won't pretend that picture of him is easy to look at. But...

1 year left on his contract
Won't be playing against us next season (at least not in the league)
£10 million is a lot for a player people were suggesting we get rid of last summer.

The big question for me is whether we have the recruitment to find a replacement.

Oh, and the Ayatollah... his face genuinely looks like someone off-camera is aiming a gun at him.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure I agree with this. For me they have wasted 10m on a player who won't cut it in the prem and will be loaned out at some stage in the future (prob next season). 

Putting aside the financial - They’ve taken our ‘one of our own’ top scorer from us a few weeks before the season starts. They’ve had our pants down. 

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

Totally agree, but it seems it’s a standard thing they ask/instruct their signings to do as Cunningham did so the other day too when he signed for them.

I expect so Red. But being a City boy you’d have thought he would say no to that.  Hardly would’ve been a deal breaker. Ah well, just gutted to see it, seems an extra little kick in the knackers! 

12 hours ago, Cowshed said:

So they play vertically? Which essentially is getting the ball forward into the opposition half as quickly as possible using the least amount of passes and hitting Zohore frequently with long balls. Cardiff out balls was hitting the centre forward not feet. Cardiff played the least amount of accurate passes in the championship, they had the worst passing accuracy and passed the ball less than anybody. Only Barnsley had a higher % of long balls played, but Barnsley did pass the ball more.

It might not be whoosh, but it was certainly whooshy.

Where are you getting these stats from? The site I kept an eye on showed that only Ipswich and Burton played more long balls per game than Bristol City throughout the whole of last season in the championship - it said on average we played 11 more long balls per game than Cardiff....not saying that source is 100% correct, but it’s a site that covers stats for the whole of Europe and international tournaments etc...

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Putting aside the financial - They’ve taken our ‘one of our own’ top scorer from us a few weeks before the season starts. They’ve had our pants down. 

You can't really put aside the financial... 

We've got 10 million for a player with 30 goals in 150 games for the club, who this time last year we'd have been happy with 1 million for and had 12 months left on his contract. 

No matter what club we've sold him to its great business from us, now let's just hope we replace him well, as we have done with kodjia and tammy

I’m struggling to remember an outgoing transfer that’s pissed me off more than this one. 

Thet grovelling video makes out he’s moving to a Premier League giant.... how depressing it is that we’ve fallen so far behind Cardiff in just a matter of months. And all that nonsense about loving the club, on the same day that he’s doing the Ayatollah! You couldn’t make it up. 

As I said yesterday, I totally get the commercial side of all this and £10m for a lad who was worth peanuts this time last year does make financial sense. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

MA and LJ had better deliver top class replacements after this mass exodus of our best players because it could get poisonous pretty quickly if they don’t. 

I don’t normally get too excited either way about the comings and goings at BCFC but this one has really pissed me off. Sad times. 

For all the people attacking him for doing the Ayatollah he's no longer our player, he has to appeal to the fans of the club he plays for and being as many of them are loving this picture it's obviously working. If you quit one job to go to a rival company you wouldn;t walk in and be like "screw you guys, I'm not doing that, it'll upset my previous employer" and risk being hated by everyone at your new job. 
The club got £10m for him, he could have gone for £500k and we would have been happy this time last year so let's not play the victim or abuse the guy. He worked hard this season and now he's been given a platform to perform at the highest level of English football. If next year a club offers £30m for him after a great first season and he moves again would you still hate him knowing we got a nice sell on clause in place?

Honestly, Bobby got his fair share of abuse here when he wasn't performing, now he takes his opportunity to move up in his career and suddenly everyone is acting like he was our hero, he only got that status this season.

Yes it's a bloody bitter pill to swallow where he's gone but I honestly don't see many, if any, other Premier League clubs offering what Cardiff did so the way I see it is he's no longer our player, he can have a bluebird tattoo for all I care but he's earned that chance and he's got the club a nice wedge of cash to reinvest, now my only concern is can I trust Ashton and Johnson to reinvest it well...

Jesus.

Mags, Flint, Reid - that’s a hell of a lot of first team appearances and goals from our best season for ages to be cashing in on.

While I can (sort of) see the logic of Mags and Flint if Baker and Wright are fit, and Vyner and Moore might step up, really hoping someone very, very good is lined up to replace Bobby.

Absolute revelation last season, and real shame he’s gone to ****ing Cardiff too.

What a transformation.  I'd have let him go for nowt last summer as I could never see him making it in the midfield and now he's a striker we're getting £10m for.  LJ has to get some credit for that.

Business wise it's a much, much better outcome for the club than similar situations with a player who has a year left e.g. Albert, Maynard.

I don't really care about Cardiff too much, they will be back down in a year with ColinW in charge, so no need to get worked up about that.

The main need now is that we spend the cash well and that is definitely a concern - more Kodjias and fewer Engvalls please.

Best of luck Bobby.

10 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Right Johnson you've got 17 million pounds to spend. 

I doubt all of it will be made available to spend. If JB goes too and we have around 25M I reckon only 15M will be spent max. The clubs said over and over again it wants to be self sufficient and run a profit

Its the moneyball model

10 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I’m struggling to remember an outgoing transfer that’s pissed me off more than this one. 

Thet grovelling video makes out he’s moving to a Premier League giant.... how depressing it is that we’ve fallen so far behind Cardiff in just a matter of months. And all that nonsense about loving the club, on the same day that he’s doing the Ayatollah! You couldn’t make it up. 

As I said yesterday, I totally get the commercial side of all this and £10m for a lad who was worth peanuts this time last year does make financial sense. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it. 

MA and LJ had better deliver top class replacements after this mass exodus of our best players because it could get poisonous pretty quickly if they don’t. 

I don’t normally get too excited either way about the comings and goings at BCFC but this one has really pissed me off. Sad times. 

I agree with you and just feel like I've been squarely kicked in the nads yet again.

However, the blame for this has to be squarely on the club and those who run it. Cardiff were bloody awful but they were consistently awful but nobody worked them out for the most part. City had a real chance to go for it in January and basically decided not to. Of course it would have been a gamble to do so in January but Christ look at us now. £ gone already and surely at least one more to follow them out of the door.

Maybe there are excellent replacements lined up but hard to feel positive at this point. The only positive so far that I've seen is our mint away kit. I certainly am not going to knock one out over the Watkins signing.

22 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

You can't really put aside the financial... 

We've got 10 million for a player with 30 goals in 150 games for the club, who this time last year we'd have been happy with 1 million for and had 12 months left on his contract. 

No matter what club we've sold him to its great business from us, now let's just hope we replace him well, as we have done with kodjia and tammy

My point is that this deal is not something they should be publishing any more than necessary given that our biggest rival is laughing at us. Hard. Especially when it’s all caused by our own failing. Massive misread of the mood to be posting farewell montages and lengthy articles talking about how we'll all miss him. 

Can anyone point me to the articles where Rovers did the same when we signed Taylor? No because even those six fingered clowns knew how to read the mood of the fan base. 

29 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What a load of nonsense. We sold an asset that we developed from zero for £10m. Cardiff have all the risk but we stand to benefit further if it works out and he moves on for a bigger fee.

That is a purey commercial, economic transaction. The ‘one of our own’ emotion pays no bills.

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I doubt all of it will be made available to spend. If JB goes too and we have around 25M I reckon only 15M will be spent max. The clubs said over and over again it wants to be self sufficient and run a profit

Its the moneyball model

If that is the case a Rocky road ahead I fear

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Where are you getting these stats from? The site I kept an eye on showed that only Ipswich and Burton played more long balls per game than Bristol City throughout the whole of last season in the championship - it said on average we played 11 more long balls per game than Cardiff....not saying that source is 100% correct, but it’s a site that covers stats for the whole of Europe and international tournaments etc...

Stats bomb and squawka. Bristol City can play more long balls in games than Cardiff because the team has more possession, makes many more passes, plays shorter (generally), backwards, sideways and passes with a higher degree of accuracy. The fifth, six, seventh .. Pass may go long and with more possession with the football staying in the first and second thirds sometimes for long periods.  

Cardiff go long quicker first or second pass in the first and second third than anybody with less of the ball. 

Archived