IGNORED

Goodbye Gustav Engvall (Merged)

bristolcitysweden

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

I'd love to know wtf his signing etc was all about, seems odd to me.

Panic signing after Kodjia leaving as it was the last few days of the window, was on a list but I expect we wouldn't have paid so much for him if it wasn't so close to the window closing.

Wish him well, no doubt will be gracing our screens in some Champions league match one day and we will go all misty eyed and wonder ‘what if’.

But to be honest I don’t think I would recognise him if I fell over him. :laughcont:

It was a weird signing, and one that LJ and Ashton should answer for. In my eyes, Engvall has done no wrong. He signed for the club, no one wanted him on loan, so he went back to Sweden, and when opportunities didn't come his way he went back to where they were opportunities.

To pay £2m+ on a player who wasn't prolific in Sweden smacks of either desperation, or something else - maybe a deal with an agent to get another player?

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

I don't know if he was homesick, but I do know he was not considered good enough. Mystery is how he came to our attention. Obvious question is did the same scout recommend Diony?

If we are comparing with Diony, then Engval probably deserves a statue in the concourse..! 

I am so glad that this farcical **** up has finally come to an end. We'll never know who actually signed this guy MA or LJ but this has to go down as one of the most frustrating (and waste of money) transfers for a long long time.

On 28/06/2018 at 14:05, GrahamC said:

I actually like Djuric a lot but felt I shouldn’t just cherry pick players in order to suit my argument.

What is the case though is that in 18 months in Bristol he has started 7 league games, I really hope he stays fit in 18/19 but so far his availability record is very poor.

We paid £2.5m for Magnússon and reportedly received €2.5m back, a small loss and he certainly didn’t make the impact we expected.

Eliasson is an interesting one, we could have bought Ollie Watkins at the same time for the same fee...

After one season he has started just 3 league games and LJ is now coming out with the “looks good in training” “great seven a side player” nonsense.

I have a feeling he will be out on loan this season, but the signs aren’t great..

Thought we paid €2.5 for Mags and got €2.5 back.

With the Euro gaining strength on the pound between that time it is a small profit.

27 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

So turns out Mechelen aren`t even in the Belgian first division… finished last in 2017-18 and now play in the second division

To be fair, Belgian's second string proved more than a match for ours last night.... :whistle2:

23 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Would be surprised if we lost in excess of a million on this transfer. Good luck to the lad, hope he finds success. 

I would be surprised if Mechelen paid £500k for him, he cost £1.5m at least, although the £2m rumours seemed to infer an agent pocketed £0.5m.

Good luck Gustav - a City legend. There's not many players that end on par with Wedlock or Atyeo but I, for one, would be happy to see the South Stand become the Engvall End.

Go well Gus, some people will be perplexed as to why he's moved on, but the opportunity to play in the second division in Belgium is one that he would've dreamed about when he was a kick a can on the streets of Kalmar, Sweden. I did read in his biography, 'Gustav the Great', that he did have KV Mechelen bedsheets as a kid so the move doesn't come as a shock. 

24 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Good luck Gustav - a City legend. There's not many players that end on par with Wedlock or Atyeo but I, for one, would be happy to see the South Stand become the Engvall End.

Go well Gus, some people will be perplexed as to why he's moved on, but the opportunity to play in the second division in Belgium is one that he would've dreamed about when he was a kick a can on the streets of Kalmar, Sweden. I did read in his biography, 'Gustav the Great', that he did have KV Mechelen bedsheets as a kid so the move doesn't come as a shock. 

I did try to get 'Gustav the Great' on my kindle, but I was put off by the massively inflated price.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

He looked completely out of his depth on the rare occasions he got on the pitch.

The Hull game? Not true. If you play in the same team as bunch of wastly overpaid  tits that don't now anything about football and with a manager of the same knowledge what do you expect? Looking forward to the quarter final. If your shit team makes it that is. 

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

It was a weird signing, and one that LJ and Ashton should answer for. In my eyes, Engvall has done no wrong. He signed for the club, no one wanted him on loan, so he went back to Sweden, and when opportunities didn't come his way he went back to where they were opportunities.

To pay £2m+ on a player who wasn't prolific in Sweden smacks of either desperation, or something else - maybe a deal with an agent to get another player?

It is possible isn't it, that the chief scout Taylor, that we got from Bournemouth(?) who was mostly responsible for Engvall and maybe some others? 

Why he left us in quiet /unusual circumstances? 

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It is possible isn't it, that the chief scout Taylor, that we got from Bournemouth(?) who was mostly responsible for Engvall and maybe some others? 

Why he left us in quiet /unusual circumstances? 

Someone in England gained the lion part of £600,000 on the Engvall transfer

Archived