IGNORED

Goodbye Gustav Engvall (Merged)

bristolcitysweden

52 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Nicky Hunt was shot but he didn't cost us £2.5m.

Neither did engvall...

1.4 million rising to 2 million with clauses, the fee has been inflated in here over to time as people try to emphasise how poor a transfer he is (which is true tbh)

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Magnússon is Down as £2.0m in my spreadsheet....that’s the gospel :P

Seriously though I think we saw £2.5m, £2.0m, £1.8m, as well as €2.5m....so I went for £2m.  We broke even in terms of transfer fees.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In FFP terms, Magnússon may turn a profit tbh- once the deal has been amortised.

Seems pretty complex though so can't be sure yet- but I think a profit in accounting/FFP terms could be possible.

Yes....helps 18/19s FFP, but that is all.

I think we should’ve got more for him.  Not loads more, but a bit more.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Massive endictment of our foreign transfer policy (Kodjia aside).

£2m for Engvall, £1.8m for Eliasson, £1.5m for Djuric, £2.5m for Magnússon (we then got less back), Hegeler too, plus 2 awful loans in Giefer and Diony.

Not going to break even on any of these signings, plenty will see huge losses.

Shambolic.

Don’t forget Kent.....

O’Neill.... 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Magnússon is Down as £2.0m in my spreadsheet....that’s the gospel :P

Seriously though I think we saw £2.5m, £2.0m, £1.8m, as well as €2.5m....so I went for £2m.  We broke even in terms of transfer fees.

Yes....helps 18/19s FFP, but that is all.

I think we should’ve got more for him.  Not loads more, but a bit more.

Agreed, the fee was a bit low tbh.

Amortisation of fees is a funny thing- good example was Man City few years ago apparently made a profit on Robinho even though he sold for millions less. There's a formula for it, which I cannot quite remember.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, the fee was a bit low tbh.

Amortisation of fees is a funny thing- good example was Man City few years ago apparently made a profit on Robinho even though he sold for millions less. There's a formula for it, which I cannot quite remember.

It’s pretty much as simple as add the fee and wages together and depreciate / amortise it equally o er the contract term.  Then at the point you sell him, how much of the contract is left...and your left with a plus or a minus.

So Hörður costs £2m plus wages (say) £8k per week over 3 year deal.

That’s £3.248m over the term of the contract.  I’ll round up to £3.3m.

At the end of 16/17 season (his first), 1/3 Of the contract has amortised, so in contract terms it’s now worth £2.2m (£1.1m reduction each year).

At the end of 17/18 season (when we sold him), another 1/3 has amortised, so his contract was only now worth £1.1m.  We sell him for £2.5m, therefore our ‘transfer profit’ will show +£1.4m.  That’s great for the accounts....and FFP.

However, the reality is we paid Juventus £2m and Hörður £832k in wages, so actually in pure cash terms we’ve lost £332k on the deal over two years.

(edit - I’ve no idea what Mags was on per week, just used something sensible-ish)

16 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Haha sorry I completely misread the post! 

Not sure our UK business is much better though!

You forgot the mighty caluey woodrow! 

I think our English transfer business is slightly better, but then again that isn't hard really... 

20 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It does make you wonder about the homesickness thing though if he`s happy going to Belgium. 

That was my reaction too. Oh well sounds harsh but it’s someone else’s problem now

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s pretty much as simple as add the fee and wages together and depreciate / amortise it equally o er the contract term.  Then at the point you sell him, how much of the contract is left...and your left with a plus or a minus.

So Hörður costs £2m plus wages (say) £8k per week over 3 year deal.

That’s £3.248m over the term of the contract.  I’ll round up to £3.3m.

At the end of 16/17 season (his first), 1/3 Of the contract has amortised, so in contract terms it’s now worth £2.2m (£1.1m reduction each year).

At the end of 17/18 season (when we sold him), another 1/3 has amortised, so his contract was only now worth £1.1m.  We sell him for £2.5m, therefore our ‘transfer profit’ will show +£1.4m.  That’s great for the accounts....and FFP.

However, the reality is we paid Juventus £2m and Hörður £832k in wages, so actually in pure cash terms we’ve lost £332k on the deal over two years.

We were certainly paying Juventus in installments. Don’t  know how that affects things, if it does.

Just now, RedM said:

We were certainly paying Juventus in installments. Don’t  know how that affects things, if it does.

Those instalments will still be due and won’t affect the P&L (nor FFP)....just affects our cash flow, which I don’t think is an issue anyway.

25 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I think our English transfer business is slightly better, but then again that isn't hard really... 

Haha I wonder how I forgot him?!?!?!

other than Fanara and Kodja I’m struggling to think of any successful overseas signings lately. 

48 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He’s always gonna haunt me.  I really thought he would make a big impression here.  LJ/MA must’ve too, because the agreed an option to buy.

12 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

did the guy really get many chances to show us what he could do.  I dont think so. 

Apparently he had every day to show LJ and the coach’s what he could do. His failure to not be crap was the reason he never really got the chance to show us, I understand!

17 hours ago, Spike said:

Done nothing for us, will free up wages which will improve our finances allowing us to get a striker in who may actually play, sounds good to me.

Of course he was given a huge amount of opportunity to actually 'play', to be fair and balanced we actually have no idea how good or bad he actually is or not, we were never given the opportunity to form a view.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And yet Paterson was the first name on the team sheet for 5 abject months.

I agree EMB, the slight difference being, Patterson was out of form which will always come back eventually. Engvall has never had a moment of form since he left Sweden. 

Archived