IGNORED

Goodbye Gustav Engvall (Merged)

bristolcitysweden

None of us really know how good or bad Engvall is / was.  All I can go on is 55 minutes v Hull alongside Wilbraham up against Curtis Davies, Michael Dawson and Harry Maguire...and in that 55 minutes he didn’t look out of place.  The other couple of times I saw him for 10 minute off the bench stuff and little chance to impress.  That 55 minutes tells me there is a footballer in there.

He played twice for his Country, albeit in summer friendlies where the major players made themselves unavailable.

He is not a competition winner.

He may not have shown anywhere near the required levels in training to change LJ’s mind and therefore pick him.  He may have refused that English Loan that pissed off LJ.

We don’t really know what went on.

What we do know us that Mechelen have signed him and we won’t be getting anywhere near the £1.5m outlay back.

Good luck Gus.  Other players gave been given more chances, but that is football.

Hope he forges a career somewhere.  Nice lad when I chatted to him a couple of times.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did we sell all the players he fell out with too? :whistle:

No.

29 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Interesting.

You have made various comments in the past alluding to GE's 'dubious' character - you seem to be maintaining your stance.

I have no reason to put anything out there other than the truth. 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Or the 'precious little darling didn't put enough effort or commitment to make it in English football/questionable attitude folder..

I have no positive feeling towards Gustav at all-he has let himself down and messed up a great opportunity.

off the top of my head I couldn't tell you exactly how many minutes he actually played in the first team, I don't miss many games and the handful of times I saw him I got the impression he was perhaps trying too hard maybe thinking it might be the only chance he got to impress, that is not a good mindset to be playing under, unless you know something about him that you could tell us about performances in training don't really know where you are getting that opinion, perhaps you could tell me as from what I saw he was certainly worth at least to be told he was being given a reasonable run, we may then have seen the player that others have.

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’m not sure the full story can ever truly be told but lessons have definitely been learned from this (they have to, can’t afford to happen again).

Well it could, it would just need someone to actually tell it instead of just posting insinuations for months - just sayin :yes:

5 hours ago, eardun said:

I find the fact that is not on City’s website very odd, especially as it was the BBC site hours ago:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44659399

Obviously Mark Ashton reached his 13th iteration of the spin press release and made a 4 letter expletive while crunching up the paper. No official comment will therefore be forthcoming unless they read this and say "no, we are better than this, we can face the music and we will face up to this ridiculous decision to blow 2 million odd" . Best leave the PR to the tea lady though "City fooked up, sorry to all, goodbye" That is all we supporters need to hear; a little contrition because silence is cowardly.

17 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

At least we can finally put this saga to bed and draw a line under it. By the looks of how things are going this season we appear to be learning lesson about the dangers of more risky recruiting. 

No, we just got a whole more heap of money to gamble with:o

6 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

How do you know that??? I think he just wasn't given a chance!!

I don't.  It's just my opinion .

To me, he had chances to impress but more interested in going back to his home country and play. If I was him , I would have worked hard to get in the team and stay there. Made sure I was noticed and made it hard for LJ not to exclude me. He didn't !

It's a shame it didn't work out for him. Good luck to him and prove us wrong. 

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Still nothing on OS...............are they trying to air-brush him out of City history ?

12 hours ago, Big C said:

I won’t believe it until its on the OS;)

And still nothing announced from the club. Most strange.

It would appear that Mr Engvall is Bristol City's version of Edward Colston.

I wish him all the best for the future. He never had the opportunity - unlike others - to make his mark.

Come on City, just a few words, even if it ends in "off"!

18 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

And what happened to Derrick Williams.

Not considered up to Championship football so shunted into Blackburn reserves after their startling swoop for Bristol City's Taylor Moore? :dunno:

10 hours ago, Olé said:

Hopefully we inserted a sell on clause.

Mine would be like this: "If you manage to sell him again keep all the money you've earned it."

My worry is that to offload him we sold him off cheap and instead of inserting add ons in the fee which over time could possibly increase the amount we receive for him, that we had to insert takeaways which over time will reduce the paltry amount we got. (These are entirely different to the takeaways that formed a part of Lee Tomlin's contract.)

For instance, it could be stipulated that if Mechelen don't get promoted we have to return 25% of the fee they paid for him. Another 25% goes out the window if he fails to hit the net in 2018-19 (City were so desperate to get rid they eventually agreed not to argue that hitting the net includes going online to check on the latest news and photographs out of Sweden).

25% of the fee is also returned to Mechelen if the course of hypnosis fooling Engvall into believing he was born and bred in Mechelen fails to work. A similar tactic failed in trying to cure his homesickness by hypnotising him to think he was Bristolian. This only mixed the lad up as on the positive side he was heard on a regular basis to say, 'This is all gert lush,' but, unfortunately, it was only ever said on his constant visits to Ikea.

28% of the fee is also returned to Mechelen if he ever pushes more for a regular spot in their first team than he ever does for a loan move back to his native Scandinavia. Mechelen insisted on this clause to compensate them in this eventually as they would then incur great expense hiring private investigators and identity fraud experts to make sure that it really is Gustav Engvall.

So you can see if all these takeaways are met we would have to return 103% of the fee Mechelen paid. That's because Mechelen only agreed to the deal if their was a realistic chance of them making a small profit.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looks like Mr Burns was right, certainly about Gustav

Despite the chortles on here 

I remember the post in question as it mentioned a few different things but only vaguely recall the bit about Engvall. Was it that the other players quickly twigged that he was hopeless?

Archived