IGNORED

England vs Colombia : Official Matchday Thread

Selred

1 hour ago, harrys said:

A few comments from tonight, we deserved to win despite the woeful substitutions, how good have Maguire and Trippier been? did Lingard play tonight? Varney  should be ashamed of himself (Leicester penalty taker) instead of putting the onus on Rashford who has never taken a professional penalty and please don’t let ITV have any more exclusive games ( no problem with the studio pundits) but Glen Hoddle is surely the worst pundit on TV

is that varny, I hate you butler?

20 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I remember the BBC interviewing Southgate at one of the Super Bowls, he said he was there to see what he could take from the NFL and put it into our sport, I think what he took away from that he has put it into our set plays and that’s why we are so dangerous from them.

%100

Our blocking of defenders at set plays is very good

Great to see us win on pens. Really feared the worst when Dier took one, thought he was poor when he came on. Felt Alli was too actually, would prefer Loftus-Cheek if Alli isn’t fit.

Slightly concerning how we’re not scoring from open play.. but if we’re still winning games then that’s obviously the priority.

Thought Maguire was magnificent. Sterling the best he’s been all tournament. I like Walker but seems to have one big error in him most games, a better team might punish us.

Overall - delighted we won. Colombia were horrible to play against, cynical cheats. Didn’t deserve the 1-1 draw in open play, they were incredibly lucky and thought they were going to win in extra time. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I had £200 on England to win in 90 mins. 

C354AC5B-0CC8-4BB0-988E-F1ED5D608159.png

I've done the exact same with City.

Once when we were 1-0 up, knowing the other team had a free kick, I cashed out. 

The other team equalised 5 seconds after I cashed out.

I’m really enjoying this World Cup but I was trying to put my finger on why there seems to be such a lack of quality. It’s bizarre. Compared to previous world cups there just doesn’t seem to be the amount of good players involved, Messi and Ronaldo are both unbelievable but that tier just below them really doesn’t have too many players in. Of course it could just be the tactics or out of form players etc but it does seem odd

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

Having a few celebratory drinks back at the hotel bar in Moscow. 

Really don’t fancy going through that again. Feel like I’ve aged ten years in one night. 

Certainly not a vintage England performance but I’ve said on here before that tournaments are all about staying alive by whatever means (Portugal did it brilliantly two years ago). I thought we were on the ropes for the first half of extra time and that if Colombia had gone for it, they may well have got a second goal. The team rallied a bit in the second half of extra time. 

Still concerned that we can’t keep a clean sheet - sooner or later that’s going to be our undoing. 

Anyway, onward to Samara. Tonight wasn’t good for the ticker or for the bank balance....

How many England fans were there last night mate? Looked like they were massively outnumbered by the Colombians.

9 hours ago, hodge said:

This sums Gareth up for me, the most genuine of guys you can find, read the whole thread of tweets. 

Everyone must read this tweet in full. Made me cry. 

10 minutes ago, RedM said:

Everyone must read this tweet in full. Made me cry. 

Whatever happens on Sat or beyond, i think we can be very proud of Gareth Southgate. He talks a lot of sense, he's calm and always comes across as a really decent bloke. I thought initially he was a bit of a soft yes man but i don't think that's the case at all. Absolutely loving the passion in his celebrations. He may seem soft on the outside but there is certainly an England lion inside the man. I really hope he got some personal redemption from winning that shoot out, he's certainly earned it.

Whatever he is doing is working, we have an England side we can believe in again. Not felt like this since 90 or 96.

We broke the hoodoo of penalties, we did it!

Was as tense as I thought it would be, tight and tense. Had a nagging worry with 10 mins to go at a lack of clean sheet in the tournament for us and lo and behold we conceded the late equaliser.

When Henderson missed the pen I started to fear the worst, but Pickford delivered!

Really happy for Southgate, after that 98 penalty shootout...

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Confession: I sat in my car during the shootout listening to Kings of Leon. I just couldnt watch it

Horrible way to settle a game, unless you win them! I was really willing England to win in extra time and even said if we are going to lose let it happen now, I just didn’t want penalties. But I didn’t want Columbia to get through either after their gameplay, so when we couldn’t break through pens it was. 

That experience although draininging in every way will have done them the power of good. They got to believe they can face anything now. Sweden will be tough but at least the style will be similar. Only 4 days until the match is probably a good thing as they will just want to get on with it now.

I can always take defeat (England or City) if we have given our all and we’re beaten by a better team, Columbia got what they deserved last night, a bit of hope and then cruelly but justifiably snatched away. 

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Horrible way to settle a game, unless you win them! I was really willing England to win in extra time and even said if we are going to lose let it happen now, I just didn’t want penalties. But I didn’t want Columbia to get through either after their gameplay, so when we couldn’t break through pens it was. 

That experience although draininging in every way will have done them the power of good. They got to believe they can face anything now. Sweden will be tough but at least the style will be similar. Only 4 days until the match is probably a good thing as they will just want to get on with it now.

I can always take defeat (England or City) if we have given our all and we’re beaten by a better team, Columbia got what they deserved last night, a bit of hope and then cruelly but justifiably snatched away. 

Spot on M

I agree with  Gary Neville who said ,as it turned out , conceding late , hanging in against the cosh and then coming through penalties will be of more benefit to them than if they’d seen out the 1-0

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I was at Italia 90 so didn’t witness the hype. Build back here 

But if we keep winning this country is going to explode !!

The clip at the end from the stadium..."come on Eric....please"...that just about sums up how it felt. Think the will of a nation pulled that one into the net.

46 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Confession: I sat in my car during the shootout listening to Kings of Leon. I just couldnt watch it

I don't get this, I know it's tense and it is hard to watch but.... you not looking makes no difference and I want to see THAT moment if we win.

Says the man who moved his George cross flag twice during the game to see if it made us play better :whistle::yes::englandflag:

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't get this, I know it's tense and it is hard to watch but.... you not looking makes no difference and I want to see THAT moment if we win.

Says the man who moved his George cross flag twice during the game to see if it made us play better :whistle::yes::englandflag:

I didnt say I was normal :yes:

2 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Does anyone else think that Colombia would be a half-decent team if they gave up the cheating and whining? When they started playing football after 75 minutes they looked pretty effective.

They really missed James Rodríguez. I don’t think giving up the antics would help them particularly. I think it’s more they really didn’t have any confidence to attack England until they were desperate. IF they had done that from the start they would certainly have scored earlier but possibly left themselves exposed.

Archived