IGNORED

England vs Colombia : Official Matchday Thread

Selred

21 minutes ago, RedM said:

My observation at the time was that it was like playing a Warnock team.

Colin's team aren't cheating bastards.

He gets them to break up the flow of the game by encouraging his players to go down, waste time by exaggerating the slightest knock and it works most of the time. Very difficult to play against.

Fans know it, other teams know it and the referees know it but it falls within the rules and although frustrating there is bugger all anyone can do about it.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He gets them to break up the flow of the game by encouraging his players to go down, waste time by exaggerating the slightest knock and it works most of the time. Very difficult to play against.

Fans know it, other teams know it and the referees know it but it falls within the rules and although frustrating there is bugger all anyone can do about it.

It is cheating. 

It is not dealt with properly, but it is still cheating.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

It is cheating. 

Colombia were miles worse than anything I have ever seen from a Warnock team.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

It is cheating. 

It doesn't break any rules so technically it's not cheating - unethical for sure but Colin has done it for years at every club he's been at.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Rotherham....

3 hours ago, Super said:

How many England fans were there last night mate? Looked like they were massively outnumbered by the Colombians.

I reckon there were between 2,000 and 3,000 in our official section, plus a few more dotted around the stadium - but we were unquestionably hugely outnumbered by Colombians (a similar thing happened in St Etienne in 98 against Argentina).

In response to a few of the other posts:

- Colombia isn't as 'developing' as some might expect. I've been there, and Bogota and Medellin are relatively prosperous places, and there are plenty of people there with pockets deep enough to travel for a world cup

- Also consider that for many of the Latin American teams, a good proportion of their support has come from fans based in the US (e.g. second or third generation Colombians / Peruvians / Mexicans etc)

- England's support is low compared to previous tournaments mainly because membership of the supporters club dropped off significantly after the poor results in Brazil four years ago and after the Iceland loss in Nice. Our support is potentially enormous - there were estimated to be over 100,000 England fans in Gelsenkirchen 12 years ago when we lost to Portugal - but when things haven't been going too well, it's an uncomfortable fact that many of our fans will stop going. Last night it was mainly the diehards who've gone to places like Port of Spain, Doha, Dnipropetrovsk and Minsk over the last ten years.

- Unquestionably another factor is all the scaremongering that happened before the tournament, which would have discouraged many. There has also been an air of incredible negativity around the England team for much of the last ten years - take a look at the comments section on the BBC website from almost any England game over that period and you get the gist. I'm not in the UK at present so I don't know exactly how the mood is changing back home right now, but hopefully it's changing for the better. 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That is what Columbia were doing. Mr Warnock teams have in the past done similar. Feigning injury is an offence so is encroachment and delaying a free kick. All ploys certainly used extensively by Mr Warnocks teams, and everybody else.

The Columbians successfully used cheating to help break up England momentum. England could have adjusted better to what is not unexpected.

I would be be more concerned/interested in Sterling's inability to control a size five football and Youngs constant slowing of the tempo of the game by checking back onto his strong foot v utilising the space in front of him. Both as responsible for England losing their foothold in the game as Columbia's fannying around,

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I reckon there were between 2,000 and 3,000 in our official section, plus a few more dotted around the stadium - but we were unquestionably hugely outnumbered by Colombians (a similar thing happened in St Etienne in 98 against Argentina).

In response to a few of the other posts:

- Colombia isn't as 'developing' as some might expect. I've been there, and Bogota and Medellin are relatively prosperous places, and there are plenty of people there with pockets deep enough to travel for a world cup

- Also consider that for many of the Latin American teams, a good proportion of their support has come from fans based in the US (e.g. second or third generation Colombians / Peruvians / Mexicans etc)

- England's support is low compared to previous tournaments mainly because membership of the supporters club dropped off significantly after the poor results in Brazil four years ago and after the Iceland loss in Nice. Our support is potentially enormous - there were estimated to be over 100,000 England fans in Gelsenkirchen 12 years ago when we lost to Portugal - but when things haven't been going too well, it's an uncomfortable fact that many of our fans will stop going. Last night it was mainly the diehards who've gone to places like Port of Spain, Doha, Dnipropetrovsk and Minsk over the last ten years.

- Unquestionably another factor is all the scaremongering that happened before the tournament, which would have discouraged many. There has also been an air of incredible negativity around the England team for much of the last ten years - take a look at the comments section on the BBC website from almost any England game over that period and you get the gist. I'm not in the UK at present so I don't know exactly how the mood is changing back home right now, but hopefully it's changing for the better. 

Samara easy to get to? Likely to be more fans going out?

Fair play to you and the other fans we could certainly hear you last night.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Great phone call by Mark Tovey about the Colombia match on the Jeremy Vine show just now.

Most importantly he managed to mention City very early on. :yes:

Thanks Noggers. Nearly 40 years of hurt for us City fans. Similar to watching England. And don't try high fiving your cat when England score its very painful. If true.

29 minutes ago, Super said:

Colombia were miles worse than anything I have ever seen from a Warnock team.

I agree. Warnock's tactics are somewhat subtler.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It doesn't break any rules so technically it's not cheating - unethical for sure but Colin has done it for years at every club he's been at.

See Cowsheds post. 

How on earth can you say that faking injury, diving, kicking the ball away, shoving in the back etc etc are all not instances of cheating?

Just because referees are weak and the cheating goes unpunished does not change the fact that his team's consistently break the rules. 

Got some ******* nerve that Colombia boss. How can he even say what he’s said and expect to be taken seriously? Their antics at the penalty was some of the worst, lowest, most unsporting behaviour I’ve ever seen in 25 years of watching football. 

Karma’s a bitch, pecker. 

25 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Thanks Noggers. Nearly 40 years of hurt for us City fans. Similar to watching England. And don't try high fiving your cat when England score its very painful. If true.

Ain't it just. :yes:

Weird feeling this morning that it went our way for once, that just doesn't happen to City or England!

Entertaining call, JV must have thought so too to allow you so much time.

I like the way he introduced you as from Bristol and you got the City mention in early - must be a horrible thought the nation might mistake you for a gashead. :city:

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Got some ******* nerve that Colombia boss. How can he even say what he’s said and expect to be taken seriously? Their antics at the penalty was some of the worst, lowest, most unsporting behaviour I’ve ever seen in 25 years of watching football. 

Karma’s a bitch, pecker. 

He’s got to go and face the fans at home, where they go after you with guns. WE know it’s not the truth he speaks but I expect if he spouts it enough he is hoping it will be taken as fact and may save his neck, quite literally.

17 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s all about winning the game, Colombia won’t give a shit about whether a red or not if they get through. They will do whatever they can to win the game, and we would moan about it for 34 years, like we have re Maradona’s hand ball. But he won the WC and we didn’t.

Thats top level football I’m afraid!.

It's all about what FIFA will tolerate in their 4 yearly cheat fest, because they set the rules and seem totally incapable of putting an end to the cheating, play acting, abuse of referees and violent conduct and VAR has only been a partial success but FIFA need to grow a set and start using retrospective punishment against cheats, actors, intimidating referees and violent conduct erroneously not properly dealt with.

I have over successive world cups since 2002 been watching less and less games, I cannot stand the cheating, the only time I will watch a Brazil game is if they play England, because I fear for my TV having to watch the undefeated world champ of cheats Neymar, but I will hire security for that game.

We have the technology, start using it properly.

25 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Gareth Southgate's waistcoat. Beginning to like this guy a lot, but remember that if the FA's plans hadn't exploded we'd have Allardyce at this World Cup.

IMG-20180704-WA0000.jpg

I thought he was a typically dreadful F.A. cop out appointment, with no chance of bringing success.

This morning I eat my words.

I now think he's a great man, a wonderful choice and he's already brought the pride back to supporting England whether we go on to win a major trophy under him or not.

Keep going Gareth, you're doing a brilliant job and the nation is 100% behind you and this great set of lads.

:chant6ez:COME ON ENGLAND :chant6ez: :englandsmile4wf:

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Karma’s a bitch, pecker. 

The bloke is a t wat and FIFA should fine him for his bollox.

48 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I agree. Warnock's tactics are somewhat subtler.

See Cowsheds post. 

How on earth can you say that faking injury, diving, kicking the ball away, shoving in the back etc etc are all not instances of cheating?

Just because referees are weak and the cheating goes unpunished does not change the fact that his team's consistently break the rules. 

I'd call it unethical rather than downright cheating. 

Faking injury is impossible for the ref to know if its genuine or not. Diving is different as refs are clued up to it and if detected yellow cards are issued. Same with kicking the ball away. 

Time wasting is also something refs are aware of but Colin's teams are usually not blatant  with it, more subtle by feigning injury.

Its ugly to watch especially when your team are on the end of it.

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

He’s got to go and face the fans at home, where they go after you with guns. WE know it’s not the truth he speaks but I expect if he spouts it enough he is hoping it will be taken as fact and may save his neck, quite literally.

About fifteen  years ago I was travelling alone in South America, in a town called Barriloche in Argentina I met a group of Columbians .

We spent a bit of time together and before we split I indicated a desire to visit them in Colombia.

Their reply was unanimous " Don't it's far too dangerous ". 

I was quite shocked, most people say things like " oh , the violence is a bit exaggerated", or " if you avoid certain areas it's ok " but this was categoric. 

So , who'd want to be a Colombian trainer or footballer ?

I'm reminded of the murder of Escobar because he scored an own goal and we think the Press give our lads a hard time .

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Not strictly true: a Fan ID can be used in lieu of a visa for the duration of the tournament. And anyone attending a game needs a Fan ID.

A south American fan can travel for 90 days no visa. They still need a fan ID. European fans need a visa and a fan ID.

Archived