IGNORED

South American football is spectacular

It's amazing to watch these countries - large and small and see their passion and often mesmerising brilliance.

So why do so many of their players have to be such scummy cheats?

The right result tonight. Let's hope we meet Neymar in the final but not Neym-aaaaah as he roles 15 metres in agony because someone brushed his shirt.

If ever there was evidence to show VAR will kill football tonight was it. 5 minutes just to take a free kick. Ref should have given them 10 seconds to retreat else sent the lot off.

If the future of football is generalised thickos playing substandard charades you can stick it.

It's in  in the Latino psyche. They regard as cheating the referee as a skilled act. 

When Owen won a very dodgy penalty against Argentina and Beckham scored to win the match. The next day all the local papers described Owen in glowing terms as 'el  pirato'. - the pirate who robbed them.

They, even now can't understand why we still complain about the 'hand of God'.........jeez......it's a different world.

54 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's amazing to watch these countries - large and small and see their passion and often mesmerising brilliance.

The right result tonight. Let's hope we meet Neymar in the final but not Neym-aaaaah as he roles 15 metres in agony because someone brushed his shirt.

You think it’s only South Americans..?!

56 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Let’s not forget that Henderson took a blow to the chin and and his forehead was immediately hurting,I know some will say you got to play their games but not for me I’m afraid 

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

If ever there was evidence to show VAR will kill football tonight was it. 5 minutes just to take a free kick. Ref should have given them 10 seconds to retreat else sent the lot off.

If the future of football is generalised thickos playing substandard charades you can stick it.

Agreed - should be you got 39 seconds to retreat or it's a card.

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think it’s only South Americans..?!

Harry Maguire did a decent impression of one tonight!!!

If that was a Colombian with that dive to try and win a penalty, we would have all been calling him a cheat!

edit, Bar Bs3 obviously didn’t see it!

It's the World Cup, so it should be some (not all, Italy, Holland etc) of the best players on the planet playing FOOTBALL, nothing more, nothing else, so why all this cheating and rolling around like they've been cast for the remake of 28 days later! Use VAR FFS and send them off, really boils my pisss… this!

25 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

VAR will never be able to prove how much pain a footballer is even if it is Neymar having someone putting his foot on his ankle and rolling rolling rolling or tonight’s Henderson debacle which is why cheats will get away with it

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

No - it's just that they do it so well and is part of their game plan.

My point is that so many South American teams play beautiful football yet despite this want to stick their fingers in the till- so to speak.

I think you listen too much and watch too little..! 

This has been the World Cup with the smallest divide in playing styles that I can remember.

57 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Will we be saying the same about Swedan? Seems to be the default tactic against us.

I think the Swedes will be more honest. Whole of South America is corrupt so they don’t know any different..

4 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

VAR will never be able to prove how much pain a footballer is even if it is Neymar having someone putting his foot on his ankle and rolling rolling rolling or tonight’s Henderson debacle which is why cheats will get away with it

Slightly disagree. I think if we are to be stuck with VAR then all games should be retrospectively reviewed and where playacting is exposed the player feigning injury should be exposed to double the amount of pain feigned prior to their next match. Perhaps Friday night torture sessions with punishment meeted out by fans from the aggrieved club.  Retrospective justice, in 4K Slow Mo.

Ref ruined it for me. By not being strong it effectively played into their hands.

Having said that he gave the penalty but that was only after several other prior skirmishes went unpunished.

At one point I thought Mick MacManus was playing centre back for them.

High pressure games like tonight's requires a referee who has officiated in similar scenarios. As he's from the USA I very much doubt he's refereed at such a high level.

I was disgusted with the way the Columbians carried on with what some people call gamesmanship but by any other word it is plain cheating.

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Slightly disagree. I think if we are to be stuck with VAR then all games should be retrospectively reviewed and where playacting is exposed the player feigning injury should be exposed to double the amount of pain feigned prior to their next match. Perhaps Friday night torture sessions with punishment meeted out by fans from the aggrieved club.  Retrospective justice, in 4K Slow Mo.

Totally agree,in Neymars case a hammer around the ankle and a bat around Henderson’s face,I’m all for it but can’t see fifa endorsing it 

18 minutes ago, Swede said:

At one point I thought Mick MacManus was playing centre back for them

Take care with the 70's wrestler analogy.

Kane looks like the b**tard son of Tony St Clair whilst Sterling has a passing resemblance to Mazembula though plays like Adrian Street.

37 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

bet your search history is interesting!!

39 minutes ago, Swede said:

Ref ruined it for me. By not being strong it effectively played into their hands.

Having said that he gave the penalty but that was only after several other prior skirmishes went unpunished.

At one point I thought Mick MacManus was playing centre back for them.

High pressure games like tonight's requires a referee who has officiated in similar scenarios. As he's from the USA I very much doubt he's refereed at such a high level.

I was disgusted with the way the Columbians carried on with what some people call gamesmanship but by any other word it is plain cheating.

If he was still alive, they could bring in Kent Walton to do match commentary.

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Take care with the 70's wrestler analogy.

Kane looks like the b**tard son of Tony St Clair whilst Sterling has a passing resemblance to Mazembula though plays like Adrian Street.

Lee Tomlin  - Big Daddy.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

This is only the start... and those who use VAR need to catch up. It'll improve.. and hopefully it'll be the end of the sort of gamesmanship we saw tonight. I amazed the game finished 11 v 11, but IMHO the Ref wasn't up to it

People moan about VAR, but one thing I think it has helped is to weed out these over-physical Latin American sides.

There is now only Uruguay and Brazil left in the draw.

If diving was also properly punished by VAR review, I wonder if even they would be left in.

Archived