IGNORED

South American football is spectacular

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’ll mention it again because everyone seems to have ignored it, Harry Maguire cheated 100% tonight, trying to win a penalty with a dive.

If we’re going to slag off other countries for cheating, then we have to accept responsibility when we do it.

It’s the elephant in the room by the looks of it

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’ll mention it again because everyone seems to have ignored it, Harry Maguire cheated 100% tonight, trying to win a penalty with a dive.

If we’re going to slag off other countries for cheating, then we have to accept responsibility when we do it.

Okay. This is a Tu Quoque logical fallacy, but I don't think anyone is saying we're angels, just that theres a line between the facts of the modern game (i.e. occasional diving, exaggerating injury, jogging off during substitutions to waste time (which is still not on, mind you)) and blatant, unnecessarily abrasive cheating (i.e. headbutting, nigh on abusing the ref, scuffing up the penalty spot).

He also instantly got up and admitted it was a dive.

Honestly I think theres a bit of a difference between Harry Maguire's dive and a headbutt.

(I'm trying my best not to sound one eyed in this post but its tired and I'm late so who knows how it'll read tomorrow morning.

10 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Okay. This is a Tu Quoque logical fallacy, but I don't think anyone is saying we're angels, just that theres a line between the facts of the modern game (i.e. occasional diving, exaggerating injury, jogging off during substitutions to waste time (which is still not on, mind you)) and blatant, unnecessarily abrasive cheating (i.e. headbutting, nigh on abusing the ref, scuffing up the penalty spot).

He also instantly got up and admitted it was a dive.

Honestly I think theres a bit of a difference between Harry Maguire's dive and a headbutt.

(I'm trying my best not to sound one eyed in this post but its tired and I'm late so who knows how it'll read tomorrow morning.

Cmon to even call it a headbutt is pushing things,it’s more of a head touch if we are all bloody honest and for it to make his head hurt so much in pain that he literally couldn’t stand up then he’s either a complete tart(no doubt that will offend some snowflake)or he’s a cheat/diver

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Exactly this. For the final 20 of the 90 minutes our players were just as bad but people are happy to turn a blind eye to it. Maguire and Lingard being the main culprits. All respect I once had for Maguire has gone.

4 minutes ago, Robin Goch said:

Exactly this. For the final 20 of the 90 minutes our players were just as bad but people are happy to turn a blind eye to it. Maguire and Lingard being the main culprits. All respect I once had for Maguire has gone.

It was tit for tat.

England players no doubt frustrated by the Colombians antics and blatant cheating. Other than awarding the penalty the referee did very little to deal with it.

I wonder if referees have been told to be lenient with red cards. if the ref had sent off a Colombian early in the game that would have stopped all the shenanigans.

5 hours ago, Oops said:

Please tell me I wasn’t the only one to see the cheating columbian *** fluffing the penalty spot prior to Kane’s goal?

I rewound and took a photo of the spot when the kick was awarded vs when it was taken. 

18830_A6_D-92_A2-45_D0-9853-_B5_EB8202_A

Disgusting stuff. 

If you look below it looks like they moved the penalty spot for the shootout slightly to the right - guessing because it was in such a state. 

E3_D52279-_CB2_F-4_B2_E-973_F-_AC25332_B

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Worst behaviour from an England opposition I can recall in 50 yrs 

Takes some doing considering we’ve played the Argentinians a fair few times during those years 

I said on another thread that cheating is in the Latino psyche and we've become used to it over many years but last night the Colombians took it to an even lower level by scuffing up the penalty spot............ffs............:facepalm:

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I rewound and took a photo of the spot when the kick was awarded vs when it was taken. 

18830_A6_D-92_A2-45_D0-9853-_B5_EB8202_A

Disgusting stuff. 

If you look below it looks like they moved the penalty spot for the shootout slightly to the right - guessing because it was in such a state. 

E3_D52279-_CB2_F-4_B2_E-973_F-_AC25332_B

Yeah thought this happened at the time. Awful. Really is a cultural thing though, South American football teams mentality is to win at all costs regardless of honour and fair play. A bit of an alien concept to European sides but they see us as easy prey and naive because we don’t do it. Glad to see us getting wise to it.

We were obviously prepared for it though because we didn’t take the bait that often despite lots of provocation. 

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Slightly disagree. I think if we are to be stuck with VAR then all games should be retrospectively reviewed and where playacting is exposed the player feigning injury should be exposed to double the amount of pain feigned prior to their next match. Perhaps Friday night torture sessions with punishment meeted out by fans from the aggrieved club.  Retrospective justice, in 4K Slow Mo.

we wouldn't of got 3 pens without VAR

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we wouldn't of got 3 pens without VAR

Quite right - that said VAR isn't being used to its full potential as we saw last night with the head but. Why the ref wasn't notified to review that incident is lost on me. Surely the VAR team must have seen it as we did on TV. 

I guess VAR is still in its infancy but surely if the referee has missed and off the ball incident t the VAR team should notify him.

That why I question if the referees have been told to be lenient with red cards - had the ref been advised to review the head but incident it would  have been a straight red but he wasn't notified..............:cool2:

Tbh we did what we had to do to beat them. How many times have we played teams like this in the past and been on the wrong end of a result and been accused of being naive? No different with our lot against many a Warnock side.

Sometimes you’ve got to fight fire with fire especially if VAR isn’t solving the problem for you. No point in being fair and glorious losers. This England team may not have the supposed ability of previous teams but, if nothing else, are clearly up for the fight.

That was like playing an away game last night, hostile atmosphere, fans outnumbered 10 to 1, opposition dirty tricks (scuffing up the penalty spot etc,) and all that matters is we found a way to get through and play on Saturday whilst the Colombian lot are sat at home watching on tv.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's in  in the Latino psyche. They regard as cheating the referee as a skilled act. 

When Owen won a very dodgy penalty against Argentina and Beckham scored to win the match. The next day all the local papers described Owen in glowing terms as 'el  pirato'. - the pirate who robbed them.

They, even now can't understand why we still complain about the 'hand of God'.........jeez......it's a different world.

Back in the Norman “bite your legs” Hunter days before everything was captured by TV cameras and the laws were very lax with regard to tackling, there were strange double standards. English players would find it perfectly acceptable to kick the opposition but were aghast when Latin country players engaged in dodgy tactics such as shirt pulling and trying to fool the referee by feigning injury. Amazing really 

Yesterday was the 24th anniversary of the death of Andres Escobar, who was shot dead after his own goal was blamed for sending Colombia home at the 1994 World Cup. The players who missed penalties yesterday have already received death threats and told not to come home. Puts the “Johnson Out” posts on the forum into perspective 

Their approach surprised me.

Never had them (Colombia) down as that cynical a side usually. That niggly.

Uruguay? Sure. Argentina? Certainly (as well as being capable of great football too in both cases)- in South America itself especially these 2 countries, there is a big clash, a struggle for supremacy coaching wise between the beautiful and the cynical.

Colombia- not necessarily- so their approach did surprise me a bit.

49 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Tbh we did what we had to do to beat them. How many times have we played teams like this in the past and been on the wrong end of a result and been accused of being naive? No different with our lot against many a Warnock side.

Sometimes you’ve got to fight fire with fire especially if VAR isn’t solving the problem for you. No point in being fair and glorious losers. This England team may not have the supposed ability of previous teams but, if nothing else, are clearly up for the fight.

That was like playing an away game last night, hostile atmosphere, fans outnumbered 10 to 1, opposition dirty tricks (scuffing up the penalty spot etc,) and all that matters is we found a way to get through and play on Saturday whilst the Colombian lot are sat at home watching on tv.

Let's hope for their sakes that is what they are doing.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Their approach surprised me.

Never had them (Colombia) down as that cynical a side usually. That niggly.

Uruguay? Sure. Argentina? Certainly (as well as being capable of great football too in both cases)- in South America itself especially these 2 countries, there is a big clash, a struggle for supremacy coaching wise between the beautiful and the cynical.

Colombia- not necessarily- so their approach did surprise me a bit.

They kicked Neymar off the pitch and put him out of action four years ago.

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I think the Swedes will be more honest. Whole of South America is corrupt so they don’t know any different..

The Turnip's are a mid table Championship side(I think I've watched one of those quite a bit recently).

England won't get a better chance than this for the semi-finals.....a gift from the gods-the red sea is parting,the gilded oppertunity to at last escape the weight of history.

8 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

The Turnip's are a mid table Championship side(I think I've watched one of those quite a bit recently).

England won't get a better chance than this for the semi-finals.....a gift from the gods-the red sea is parting.

Pretty hard to score against tbh- on paper they should have lost to Italy and Switzerland (and gone out the group of course if not for Germany's implosion). Definitely got less talent than Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Ljungberg etc though- amazed they've made it this far!

However yes, it's a golden opportunity I do agree.

6 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

England won't get a better chance than this for the semi-finals.....a gift from the gods-the red sea is parting,the gilded oppertunity to at last escape the weight of history.

a mid table championship side knocked out one of the best teams in the in a cup quarter final recently................

The only time they really played a bit of football was the 1st half of extra time and when they did, they looked dangerous. I could understand Panama trying to level the game a bit with those sort of tactics but Colombia are more than capable of playing some decent stuff. Rodriguez was a big loss for them. 

Archived