IGNORED

Goalkeepers-long read (sorry!)

GrahamC

So it seems obvious that we are in the market for a new goalkeeper, with David Button the latest to go elsewhere with us rumoured to have been interested.

At the risk of mentioning Mark Ashton’s “spiders web”, it seems availability is linked to other clubs signing someone & then making another one available, and already the likes of West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Forest, QPR & Wigan have signed or sold a keeper, (a couple of these have done both).

I’ve thought of 8 possible signings and highlighted their pros and cons & so am interested in views:

1. Karl Darlow, 3rd choice at Newcastle, good age, plenty of Championship experience at Forest, likely to be on very big wages though.

2. David Stockdale, been told he can go at Brum, had a great season when Brighton got promoted, said to want to join Leeds but they are reportedly unsure.

3. Jamal Blackman, regular at Sheff U last season, also interesting Leeds but they won’t sign both.

4. Wes Foderingham, available at Rangers, good with the ball at his feet but has no Championship level experience at all.

5. Jordan Smith, excellent for Forest at our place last season, unlikely to be first choice after they signed Pantillimon. Good age.

6. Joel Coleman, at Oldham when LJ was in charge, right age profile, at 6ft 6 he is definitely a different goalie to Frankie (!), but has only played 5 Championship games.

7. Christy Pym, highly rated young Exeter keeper, certainly within any wages structure we offer but short (barely 6ft) & with no experience above L2.

8. Connor Ripley, linked with us before, almost certainly available at Boro but his last 2 seasons have seen him play at L1 level after failing to get a game at Burton.

I’m sure there are others, but interested in views..

I would suggest this is the position where Championship level experience is the least important and so long as we bring in someone who can speak some English, I don't see the problem with looking abroad.

The type of player I would like to see brought in would be big, dominant and commanding in his area, particularly as we have let Flint go. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I would suggest this is the position where Championship level experience is the least important and so long as we bring in someone who can speak some English, I don't see the problem with looking abroad.

The type of player I would like to see brought in would be big, dominant and commanding in his area, particularly as we have let Flint go. 

Amazed that no teams seem to be looking to get Fraser Forster.

With Soton clearly looking to get rid of him ( there's been talk of them offering £15m for Angus Gunn) I'd of thought he'd be a great acquisition, if he wants to kick start his career, is willing to take a pay cut and if his face fits I feel we could do a lot worse than look at him.

6 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I'm sure LJ (or is it MA?) will have a keeper in mind even if it's to provide serious competition for FF

Btw Flint obviously wanted to move. He'd have got a significant signing on fee along with a bigger wedge. City didn't 'let' him go. The bid from Boro was accepted and as we know every player has his price.

15 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

With Soton clearly looking to get rid of him ( there's been talk of them offering £15m for Angus Gunn) I'd of thought he'd be a great acquisition, if he wants to kick start his career, is willing to take a pay cut and if his face fits I feel we could do a lot worse than look at him.

On £90k a week!

@Chris_Brown agree 100% about going abroad, I just think the Engvall, Hegeler, Lucic, Eliasson, Giefer transfers will stop us from doing so.

19 minutes ago, Lee0 said:

His face might fit but his wallet won't!

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure LJ (or is it MA?) will have a keeper in mind even if it's to provide serious competition for FF

Btw Flint obviously wanted to move. He'd have got a significant signing on fee along with a bigger wedge. City didn't 'let' him go. The bid from Boro was accepted and as we know every player has his price.

I was in no way insinuting anything about Flint's move. "let him go" was just a figure of speech. You have read way too much into it.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

On £90k a week!

@Chris_Brown agree 100% about going abroad, I just think the Engvall, Hegeler, Lucic, Eliasson, Giefer transfers will stop us from doing so.

I agree. Although they shouldn't, as none of those would be comparable transfers to a permanent first team goalkeeper. Lucic and to an extent, Giefer (coming back from a long layoff) were essentially punts. It's a shame as there will be some excellent options out there. 

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

1. Karl Darlow - would be a great signing but maybe out of wage structure. Probably on £15-20k per week

2. David Stockdale - wasnt great last season and I assume on a decent wage as signed on a free. An inprovement on Fielding I would say

3. Jamal Blackman - no better than Fielding

4. Wes Foderingham - much worse than Fielding

5. Jordan Smith - i think he will still be number one at Forest

6. Joel Coleman - only seen Youtube clips but looks composed and impressive. On paper would be happy with him

7. Christy Pym- seen a tiny bit of him and looks a prospect but big question mark on step up

8. Connor Ripley - a lot of people know how much I rate him. Excellent keeper and baffled as to why he didnt play for Burton last season. Guess Clough wanted experience in a relegation battle

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

If Darlow is on 15-20k, that's definitely not out of our wage structure. 

In response to the original post, 

I'd take Stockdale/Darlow, think they'd both be improvements. 

Foderingham isn't good enough imo. Neither is Blackman, worse kicking than Fielding, and we all know how much that subject stresses our fan base out. 

I haven't seen much of Smith to have an opinion, but a lot of Forest fans don't seem to think he's good enough. 

Again with Coleman and Ripley. I've not seen much, but the latter was highly rated last summer, although he wasn't deemed good enough for Burton & reckon his stock has fell quite a bit because of that. 

I've mentioned him a few times, but Alex Cairns from Fleetwood looks a great keeper. He'd probably be one of my main goalkeeping targets this summer if I was in charge.

Never know, Johnson may give O'Leary a chance this year. By all accounts he was very good at Solihull last year. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So it seems obvious that we are in the market for a new goalkeeper, with David Button the latest to go elsewhere with us rumoured to have been interested.

At the risk of mentioning Mark Ashton’s “spiders web”, it seems availability is linked to other clubs signing someone & then making another one available, and already the likes of West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Forest, QPR & Wigan have signed or sold a keeper, (a couple of these have done both).

I’ve thought of 8 possible signings and highlighted their pros and cons & so am interested in views:

1. Karl Darlow, 3rd choice at Newcastle, good age, plenty of Championship experience at Forest, likely to be on very big wages though.

Ought to be near the top of our wish list.  27.  Good all round keeper.  Don’t know how big wages are, but suggesting if signed in 2014 on a 6 year deal, might not be as high as you think.  Pure guesswork though.

2. David Stockdale, been told he can go at Brum, had a great season when Brighton got promoted, said to want to join Leeds but they are reportedly unsure.

Looked a shadow of himself last year at Brum.  Top keeper if back to Brighton form, and at 32, still 3,4,5 years ahead of him.  Definitely worth the punt if wages possible.  Your first 2 are my first 2.

3. Jamal Blackman, regular at Sheff U last season, also interesting Leeds but they won’t sign both.

Having signed Henderson he must be worried about his place.

4. Wes Foderingham, available at Rangers, good with the ball at his feet but has no Championship level experience at all.

I thought he’d make good competition for Frankie after promotion (in fact ROD and him were on my list to bring in for 15/16), but would be a big gamble now....we’ve moved on.

5. Jordan Smith, excellent for Forest at our place last season, unlikely to be first choice after they signed Pantillimon. Good age.

Tidy keeper, ought to be featuring in our list.

6. Joel Coleman, at Oldham when LJ was in charge, right age profile, at 6ft 6 he is definitely a different goalie to Frankie (!), but has only played 5 Championship games.

No idea

7. Christy Pym, highly rated young Exeter keeper, certainly within any wages structure we offer but short (barely 6ft) & with no experience above L2.

Obviously a good shot-stopper, but big step-up to go straight into a #1 position, which is what we want.

8. Connor Ripley, linked with us before, almost certainly available at Boro but his last 2 seasons have seen him play at L1 level after failing to get a game at Burton.

Strange one this.  Highly rated, but seems to have stalled / gone backwards.

In summary:

Darlow or Stockdale, but if you can’t get them....

Blackman or Smith.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

In summary:

Darlow or Stockdale, but if you can’t get them....

Blackman or Smith.

Not an expert on goalkeepers at all, but a few Forest chaps in there made me remember Stephen Henderson who played here early in his career.

I remember him being really promising and highly rated at the time, but left after making 5 appearances in 4 years.

30 years old now - I was wondering about him for a backup option if Fielding leaves, O'Leary goes out on loan and we bring in another number 1. Seems to have played backup most of his career and can't be on massive wages.

Anyone followed his career closely since leaving?

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not an expert on goalkeepers at all, but a few Forest chaps in there made me remember Stephen Henderson who played here early in his career.

I remember him being really promising and highly rated at the time, but left after making 5 appearances in 4 years.

30 years old now - I was wondering about him for a backup option if Fielding leaves, O'Leary goes out on loan and we bring in another number 1. Seems to have played backup most of his career and can't be on massive wages.

Anyone followed his career closely since leaving?

Yes.

Absolutely terrible injury record, seems to have had a lengthy absence at every club he has been it.

Pretty sure on more than one occasion it happened on his debut. Avoid.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes.

Absolutely terrible injury record, seems to have had a lengthy absence at every club he has been it.

Pretty sure on more than one occasion it happened on his debut. Avoid.

Shame. I remember him being very promising when he first arrived.

That said, i'm not an expert on goalkeepers at all as you can see!

Just a couple of points and then I’ll leave this:

@Davefevs Blackman is a Chelsea player, so he won’t be competing with Henderson at Sheff U because he has gone back, hence the Leeds interest.

@RedDave agree with 7/8s of that! Can’t see Smith as a first choice for Forest though, Karanka brought Pantilimon in on loan there last season & consistently picked him instead of Smith, he has now signed him permanently.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Just a couple of points and then I’ll leave this:

@Davefevs Blackman is a Chelsea player, so he won’t be competing with Henderson at Sheff U because he has gone back, hence the Leeds interest.

@RedDave agree with 7/8s of that! Can’t see Smith as a first choice for Forest though, Karanka brought Pantilimon in on loan there last season & consistently picked him instead of Smith, he has now signed him permanently.

Didn't realise that about Smith.  If thats the case then he would be a good signing.

8 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

If Darlow is on 15-20k, that's definitely not out of our wage structure. 

In response to the original post, 

I'd take Stockdale/Darlow, think they'd both be improvements. 

Foderingham isn't good enough imo. Neither is Blackman, worse kicking than Fielding, and we all know how much that subject stresses our fan base out. 

I haven't seen much of Smith to have an opinion, but a lot of Forest fans don't seem to think he's good enough. 

Again with Coleman and Ripley. I've not seen much, but the latter was highly rated last summer, although he wasn't deemed good enough for Burton & reckon his stock has fell quite a bit because of that. 

I've mentioned him a few times, but Alex Cairns from Fleetwood looks a great keeper. He'd probably be one of my main goalkeeping targets this summer if I was in charge.

Never know, Johnson may give O'Leary a chance this year. By all accounts he was very good at Solihull last year. 

Ben Amos on loan at Charlton last season not bad

On 06/07/2018 at 08:18, GrahamC said:

Is Foderingham available at Rangers? He signed a contract until July 2019 not so long ago....

Wouldn’t mind a keeper on loan and expect that is the way we end up going. Max O’Leary doesn’t look far away based on what I saw today. Ok only some training but he looks the part. I actually hope he stays until January and gets the cup games for us. Think everyone needs a fresh look at him. I don’t know what the thinking is but I wouldn’t bring in another keeper of that age range until we are sure Max won’t make it with us. A loan or someone in their late 20s

Would love city to put in a bid for Fraser Forster , 30 years old would walk in as number 1 prem experience and doesn’t have to move too far , 3rd choice at Southampton now , would cost a bit but a great investment in my opinion really need a proven decent gk not dodgy gk loans every season ..

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Would love city to put in a bid for Fraser Forster , 30 years old would walk in as number 1 prem experience and doesn’t have to move too far , 3rd choice at Southampton now , would cost a bit but a great investment in my opinion really need a proven decent gk not dodgy gk loans every season ..

£40k per week salary so forget it

Archived