IGNORED

Croatia v. England - Official Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Tonight.

Casual defending.

Midfield not good enough.

And no threat upfront.

We came up against a better class of opposition and were found out, end of.

It’s a sad way to go out, because we never properly turned up, but hey who would not have taken a semi final at the start of the tournament?

And the fact Croatia arent that good. Be amazed if they trouble France.

18 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Lingard and Ali are shocking tonight.

Kane and Henderson too. The rest were as good as you could expect. Funny before it all started I was saying to everyone - just watch Stones give away a few goals. By full time I was thinking he had changed my view of him - then guess what?

Love England - been with them on tour 4 times - sad to miss this one but

We have over-hyped ourselves and young Gareth

We did well but had all the good fortune and a pretty rubbish Group to get out of

Won on pens (hoorah)

Won 45 mins v Croatia then sat back and never looked liked winning against a pretty decent team

Very enjoyable but I fear some are going way over the top about the class of this England Team - promising yes - world beaters no  where near

They have better technical players and we’re physically and mentally stronger too. 

Pity, but we were found out. 

Good effort. Pickford, Maguire and most of all, Trippier were brilliant throughout. 

Kane went missing tonight. 

8 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Wilshire and Chamberlain for Ali and Lingard. Both better attackers and can move and get by players.

My stumpy nob is Wilshere better than Alli and Lingard.

33 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Tonight.

Casual defending.

Midfield not good enough.

And no threat upfront.

We came up against a better class of opposition and were found out, end of.

It’s a sad way to go out, because we never properly turned up, but hey who would not have taken a semi final at the start of the tournament?

Absolutely correct 

..............as long as you ignore the first 45 minutes, where we were on top, Croatia's all star midfield was not  in the game and had we taken the chances we created we could and should have been out of sight by half time. The one game where Kane left his shooting boots in the dressing room.

Once Croatia got a foothold in the game after half time their midfield control dominated and I think the tournament caught up with our young and inexperienced team.

Given our abject failure at the last few world cups with, on paper, far better and more experienced players, this team has nothing to be ashamed about. They, and the manager, have done themselves proud and made the country proud of their achievements.

A month ago who realistically thought they would get to the semi final and within 30 minutes of extra time of the final?

If this group of players is allowed to develop together and if we see other young players coming into the reckoning in the next couple of years then we could be serious contenders in 4 years time, although by then the weight of expectation might weigh them down , as it has for too many previous England teams.

10 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Kane and Henderson too. The rest were as good as you could expect. Funny before it all started I was saying to everyone - just watch Stones give away a few goals. By full time I was thinking he had changed my view of him - then guess what?

I think Kane looked injured. He was shocking.

It is difficult to know how I feel about this WC. We did way way better than I thought. Several good memories.

Never convinced however we played a match which you could look at us and say ‘ hey, we are looking a top top national side’. We tried, fought and did our best, but were second best in the end today, and not entirely surprised.

Equally, what a chance we had today. How many years before it comes around again.

Archived