IGNORED

Croatia v. England - Official Matchday Thread

CyderInACan

Won’t ever happen but I’d like to see Hoddle sat behind Southgate to help with in game assessment / tactical views

Clearly Southgate has shown many great management qualities and a good man Manager 

Think Hoddle remains incredibly astute in the tactical side of International Football

Hopefully Croatia go all the way. Pulled apart by the better side in the end. Width was just too much for us and those long diagonal balls to Vrsaljko just ended up killing us off.

Disappointed not to see a little entente final, but would be funny to see them lift it in Russia, especially after their recent comments...

Let's not go overboard with criticism of individual players.  

We lost to a better, and more important, a more experienced group of players. 

We've done great to get to a semi, nobody gave us a chance of that, nobody believed 4 weeks ago, all of a sudden, football's coming home and when it doesn't, we've left better players at home. 

We've had a good run at it, now its over. Screw the world cup now, city going for promotion is where its at...

COYR

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Won’t ever happen but I’d like to see Hoddle sat behind Southgate to help with in game assessment / tactical views

Clearly Southgate has shown many great management qualities and a good man Manager 

Think Hoddle remains incredibly astute in the tactical side of International Football

Yeah and he knows a good faith healer!!

21 minutes ago, Markman said:

Love England - been with them on tour 4 times - sad to miss this one but

We have over-hyped ourselves and young Gareth

We did well but had all the good fortune and a pretty rubbish Group to get out of

Won on pens (hoorah)

Won 45 mins v Croatia then sat back and never looked liked winning against a pretty decent team

Very enjoyable but I fear some are going way over the top about the class of this England Team - promising yes - world beaters no  where near

Absolutely spot on. Pre tournament expectations were about right and should have continued throughout. Unfortunately the media did it's usual over hype and raised the expectations of the country to embarrassing levels.  Quickly forgetting how much easier a run England had compared to others.

The whole 'it's coming home' campaign is an example of the media's arrogance that England had the final in the bag.

Ironic that 3 Lions will make the official No. 1 after England are out.

A fun tournament to watch and England certainly look more entertaining than previous squads and GS has done well but that is all. It's over, now we can focus on proper football.

Here's to the new Championship season.

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Absolutely spot on. Pre tournament expectations were about right and should have continued throughout. Unfortunately the media did it's usual over hype and raised the expectations of the country to embarrassing levels.  Quickly forgetting how much easier a run England had compared to France/Belgium had.

The whole 'it's coming home' campaign is an example of the media's arrogance that England had the final in the bag.

Ironic that 3 Lions will make the official No. 1 after England are out.

A fun tournament to watch and England certainly look more entertaining than previous squads and GS has done well but that is all. It's over, now we can focus on proper football.

Here's to the new Championship season.

I think the 'coming home' stuff was a joke and that anyone who was deadly serious about it off the back of that needs their head checking.

15 minutes ago, Markman said:

Love England - been with them on tour 4 times - sad to miss this one but

We have over-hyped ourselves and young Gareth , I don't know where you got that from, least fancied England team in living memory

We did well but had all the good fortune and a pretty rubbish Group to get out of , So did others that didn't get this far.

Won on pens (hoorah) , Sadly it is something, bit of a monkey off the back moment (specially if you ignore Spain)

Won 45 mins v Croatia then sat back and never looked liked winning against a pretty decent team, That 45 should have seen us 3-0 up , 2nd half with changes Croatia looked better and caused us problems.

Very enjoyable but I fear some are going way over the top about the class of this England Team - promising yes - world beaters no  where near . Absolutely agree , I'm hoping that Southgate continues to progress with this bunch and we get a few more stepping up. I think we are short of quality off the bench. It's great that after the Iceland farce people are falling in love with the team agin.

It ain’t coming home

I’m currently walking a stretch of the south west coast-path with Bill my mate from Oz. Watched the game in a pub in Porthcurno (Cornwall) and we ordered food for after the game before kick off. Having just asked ‘When will our supper be ready?’ the barmaid informed us ‘ Chef is crying into it as we speak’ 

Gutted that we lost,  especially after a first half in which we got in front and gave their defence all manner of problems. However, we faded badly in the second half, and fatigue (both mental and physical) seemed to be a problem. For both of their goals we seemed to switch off. As the game wore on Croatia’s players seemed sharper and we didn’t show enough quality to really trouble their keeper. 

Now roll on the start of the league season.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Severe social anxiety" Major, so the last one is closest!

Found it hard going to a pub with 20 or so people in for the first games, but trying to challenge myself.

As they say ' if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger ' 

Beat the thing . It's just your brain trying to screw you over . You must show it who's boss ! 

Lack of experience cost us.  Thought we lost our composure which meant our game management was poor.  Agree the whole thing was over hyped.  Lots to be optimistic about but currently long way short of being good enough to win a World Cup.

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I think the 'coming home' stuff was a joke and that anyone who was deadly serious about it off the back of that needs their head checking.

Anyone thinking we’d win the World Cup with players like Ashley Young were having a laugh. He’d be lucky to start for city!

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

Gutted that we lost,  especially after a first half in which we got in front and gave their defence all manner of problems. However, we faded badly in the second half, and fatigue (both mental and physical) seemed to be a problem. For both of their goals we seemed to switch off. As the game wore on Croatia’s players seemed sharper and we didn’t show enough quality to really trouble their keeper. 

Now roll on the start of the league season.

I can hardly wait.....

1 minute ago, swanker said:

Anyone thinking we’d win the World Cup with players like Ashley Young were having a laugh. He’d be lucky to start for city!

Always looked the weakest link, I would rather play JB for England than him, I would also start Pack over Henderson but thats just me :blink:

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Absolutely, I keep reading people slating Hoddle for being a crap pundit; dull, states the obvious. Well don't they all? Hoddle is one of the most incisive analysts of the game and I'd rather listen to his thoughts than Mark Lawrenson or the rest. 

Hard luck to a limited England team .

Sat back a bit too much after the stunning Trippier goal ( what a World Cup for the lad , hope his injury isn't too bad ) 

We lacked quality in attack and midfield but this will be a great experience for many and Hopefully we can come back stronger .

Good night to all you wonderful England and City supporters.

:clap:

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

Lack of experience cost us.  Thought we lost our composure which meant our game management was poor.  Agree the whole thing was over hyped.  Lots to be optimistic about but currently long way short of being good enough to win a World Cup.

I agree, an inexperienced team went one or two steps further than expected and didn’t know how to kill the opposition off. Well done but no cigar. Nothing to cry about.

Allons enfants de la patrie....

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think somebody should have tapped Gareth Southgate on the shoulder and said trying to penetrate constantly v some of the best passers of a ball in the World needs changing in the second half.

Still have Southgate all day instead of Allardyce.

43 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

The better team one...wing backs narrowed the more Croatia had the ball...better technical players and when England finally came up against a top side they were found wanting.

however so much promise to build on

Agree, but until we find one or two technically very good midfielders/ number 10’s we are never going to get to the next level. We lack creativity big time against the better sides. 

Archived