IGNORED

It’s all about club football now

RedM

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

A World Cup is special and seeing a divided country come together in the last 4 weeks made me feel proud again (at last) to be English. I'm not sure I'm that excited about another 12 months of in-fighting about Lee Johnson et al... 

Following England in a World Cup is a very different experience to me than following City. I was more anxious before the Sweden game than I can ever remember being for any City match, including the pray off final.

I guess it's because the World Cup is only every four years and is the biggest football tournament of them all, whereas City I can see every game if I want to pretty much 9/12 of the year. 

The uniqueness just simply isn't there with City.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I have vague memories of watching England winning the WC in '66 as an 8 year old, before I ever took an interest in BCFC.

I was old enough to feel the crushing disappointment of losing to West Germany at Mexico '70 and have been affected by the very real set backs of non qualifying - I couldn't sleep after that Tomaszewski Poland game - penalty shoot out disasters etc. ever since.

I can mark the stages of my life by World Cups - I have always left a World Cup with the thought of how old I would be by the next one, and how many potential WC's I am likely to have left. I well remember my wife and I looking at our 2 and a half year old toddler and saying he'd be almost 7 by the next one - an unbelievable thought at the time.

I've always wondered if I'd see a WC win I was old enough to really appreciate, and this was the very unexpected big chance. I reckon football really is 'coming home' - we've got a great young team and quality reinforcements coming through at younger age groups - and it WILL happen imo., but I do wonder if I'll be around to see it.

City are my main, continuous, football interest, and we've so often mirrored the torment of following England but with City there's always another match and another season following quickly. With England it's concentrated passion, do or die in a few weeks.

When a big international tournament comes round I'm just as excited as I was as that 8 year old - this is our country they're out there representing, I'm very proud to be English, and for that few weeks that patriotism comes to the fore and I'm just as passionate about the national team as I am continuously about BCFC.

Impossible to compare one with the other, so very different, but the success of both are vitally important to me in their own way.

I'm an ingrained pessimist when it comes to both City and England, but our performances in this WC have been really uplifting - just a pity it didn't come down to being part of a joyous throng of thousands bawling out vindaloo and 3 Lions down North Street last night as I briefly envisaged from the Rising Sun at h/t.

Nonetheless England has got it's footballing pride back, coupled with genuine hope for even greater success in the near future. Let's just hope the explosion of celebrations that never were last night are not delayed too long. :englandsmile4wf:

After happily loaning my footballing passion 100% to my country it's back to concentyear ating on BCFC for the season ahead - Come on City! :city:

I can see myself in you Nogbad. In my early teens years I panicked about years left to live and then nothing. Transforming it into WC left to live eased it a bit. I have wage memories of the 1970 WC (my dad don't take interest in football) but in 1974 I was up for it. Today I'm more interested in people.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

There have been a number of Swedish singers mentioned on this thread and, just out of curiosity @bristolcitysweden and @Garland-sweden, whilst I assume you have heard of Gitte Haenning, even though she is Danish by birth, does her music still get played in Sweden?

Not that I know. But I will listen to here songs and get back to you :thumbsup: 

Archived