IGNORED

MLS All Stars Madness

Luxo Jr.

Apologies if this has already been shared, but this has got to be one of the strangest/worst decisions I've ever seen by a live sports broadcast. Interviewing a player midway through a match - it's the most American thing I've ever seen.

Granted, it's a glorified friendly, still baffling though.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Cricket's been doing it for years, any player mic'd up. They only talked to him when the ball was down the other end of the field so minimal interaction in the game. And as said its a glorified friendly.

A little bit different to cricket though. One long kick the keeper's under pressure. And why do you need to do it in a 90 minute game? 

Still not as annoying as when Mark Clemmit sidles up to a manager halfway through an FA Cup game. Imagine working so hard to get through qualifying all the way to the First Round proper, then while trying to concentrate having some bloke from the BBC wander over and try and have a chat during the game.

2 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

A little bit different to cricket though. One long kick the keeper's under pressure. And why do you need to do it in a 90 minute game? 

Still not as annoying as when Mark Clemmit sidles up to a manager halfway through an FA Cup game. Imagine working so hard to get through qualifying all the way to the First Round proper, then while trying to concentrate having some bloke from the BBC wander over and try and have a chat during the game.

They do it in T20 for cricket when each team is in the field for approx 80 minutes. That's the point though its a friendly so what's wrong with the keeper mic'd up, it was a gimmick of the match, if the ball was kicked long he'd just stop talking to them and they'd shut up.

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

They do it in T20 for cricket when each team is in the field for approx 80 minutes. That's the point though its a friendly so what's wrong with the keeper mic'd up, it was a gimmick of the match, if the ball was kicked long he'd just stop talking to them and they'd shut up.

Fair enough, I just get jittery when the media actually start encroaching on the game itself, friendly or no friendly. I just hope it stays a gimmick.

I feel sorry for Americans that genuinely enjoy the sport.

The biggest issues with the sport over there is purely with the media. They have a lot of experienced sporting broadcasters, but next to none of them have any experience with football, so they do ******* stupid stuff like this because you can do it during a baseball game. It actually turns a lot of fans off of their own product, and is why many of them prefer to watch the Premier League. 

For added cringe, when Bastian Schweinsteiger joined Chicago Fire a journalist asked him during his joining presser whether, with his help, Chicago Fire could win the World Cup, twice...

Well the FA are closing in with the madness of yellow and red cards for managers. True plastic American bull shit. On the field it's up to the players adopting to the instructions given before the game.

Wasting time on managers brings as much happiness as hearing the neighbours brain dead pit bull terrier mentally ill barking. You are chained your big dum ass hole.

Go back to your cave FA    

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Well the FA are closing in with the madness of yellow and red cards for managers. True plastic American bull shit. On the field it up to the players adopting to the instructions given before the game.

Wasting time on managers brings as much happiness as hearing the neighbours bran dead bit bull terrier mentally ill barking.

Go back to your cave FA    

If anything it'll make dealing with managers quicker, you see refs have to have a chat with managers in a lot of games to warn them if they don't stop they'll be sent to the stands, if they can just jog over and show a yellow card as a warning it'll be a lot quicker.

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

If anything it'll make dealing with managers quicker, you see refs have to have a chat with managers in a lot of games to warn them if they don't stop they'll be sent to the stands, if they can just jog over and show a yellow card as a warning it'll be a lot quicker.

Don't show them on camera then like you treat mentally ill people running on to the pitch

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Apologies if this has already been shared, but this has got to be one of the strangest/worst decisions I've ever seen by a live sports broadcast. Interviewing a player midway through a match - it's the most American thing I've ever seen.

Granted, it's a glorified friendly, still baffling though.

cricket the bowlers been mic'd up before telling nasser what ball they were going to bowl

52 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Well the FA are closing in with the madness of yellow and red cards for managers. True plastic American bull shit. On the field it's up to the players adopting to the instructions given before the game.

Wasting time on managers brings as much happiness as hearing the neighbours brain dead pit bull terrier mentally ill barking. You are chained your big dum ass hole.

Go back to your cave FA    

See no problem with it. For too long managers have been allowed to behave like ********* and get away with it. 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Go back to your cave FA    

I take great exception to you comparing the FA HQ with a cave. In the last year they have installed gas lighting and now a good 10% of the paintings that adorn the walls are on canvas and have been framed!

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Cricket's been doing it for years, any player mic'd up. They only talked to him when the ball was down the other end of the field so minimal interaction in the game. And as said its a glorified friendly.

Thin end of the wedge though. Players are interviewed coming off the pitch already in other countries which I reckon is out of order particularly if a decision went against them just before.

• Admin
17 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Not particularly American as @hodge said, it’s been done in competitive T20 games for the last 5 years in England. 

I thought this was stopped a season or two back

Am sure I haven't seen anyone interviewed in play like they used to

6 hours ago, EnderMB said:

The biggest issues with the sport over there is purely with the media. They have a lot of experienced sporting broadcasters, but next to none of them have any experience with football, so they do ******* stupid stuff like this because you can do it during a baseball game. It actually turns a lot of fans off of their own product, and is why many of them prefer to watch the Premier League. 

For added cringe, when Bastian Schweinsteiger joined Chicago Fire a journalist asked him during his joining presser whether, with his help, Chicago Fire could win the World Cup, twice...

I’m not sure how much baseball you watch, but this is not the norm during a regular MLB game.

The TV broadcasters may talk to the managers in the dugout between an inning or perhaps during a very brief part of an inning but it’s not a regular thing and usually only during one of the national broadcasts not an own team broadcast which is on every day.

I’ve seen playes mic’d up in the same circumstances as this - an All-Star game- but since they’re largely an exhibition it’s fairly lighthearted.

On 03/08/2018 at 17:27, not_for_you said:

I’m not sure how much baseball you watch, but this is not the norm during a regular MLB game.

The TV broadcasters may talk to the managers in the dugout between an inning or perhaps during a very brief part of an inning but it’s not a regular thing and usually only during one of the national broadcasts not an own team broadcast which is on every day.

I’ve seen playes mic’d up in the same circumstances as this - an All-Star game- but since they’re largely an exhibition it’s fairly lighthearted.

It wasn't an attack on baseball. The only baseball I've ever watched was watching the Toronto Blue Jays while on holiday last April, and it was quite fun. It's nice to watch a sport where you can duck out at any time to get food and you won't miss anything - also great for leaving the stadium as people leave early all the time.

It's just something that I've noticed when watching MLS. Many of the pundits and commentators have no experience in football, and many of their journalists are general sports journalists that seem to have a stick up their arse about "soccers" rise in popularity.

On 03/08/2018 at 10:38, EnderMB said:

Very true @EnderMB

I've got a big American contact I'm working on ATM, and the interesting thing is learning about the growth of "soccer" in the US. It's played in virtually every school over there now, and has been America's fastest growing sport in terms of spectators for years. In terms of participants, it IS America's biggest sport - having overtaken baseball some time back. All very different to when my son was at school there in the 90s when "soccer" was not an option.

Gradually, the younger more football-literate Americans will displace the middle-aged ignoramus sportscasters that currently dominate. 

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Very true @EnderMB

I've got a big American contact I'm working on ATM, and the interesting thing is learning about the growth of "soccer" in the US. It's played in virtually every school over there now, and has been America's fastest growing sport in terms of spectators for years. In terms of participants, it IS America's biggest sport - having overtaken baseball some time back. All very different to when my son was at school there in the 90s when "soccer" was not an option.

Gradually, the younger more football-literate Americans will displace the middle-aged ignoramus sportscasters that currently dominate. 

I really hope so. I've worked with a few American clients in the past, and many of them have complained about "pay to play" holding their kids back. I remember U10 football costing me a pound a session when I was a kid, but parents in America pay tens of thousands of dollars for their kids to be a part of teams, and a lot of them just can't afford to have their kids playing competitively.

It's insane how kids in England can happily play football against a set of bins in a playground, but parks in America prohibit kids from playing there unless they're a paid member of the team that uses that park...

Archived