IGNORED

the Korey factor

where's the joy

its only a matter of time before LJ goes. he hasn't recruited well this summer, the spine of the team is poor and he has proved several times that he can manage dreadful runs more consistently than good ones. BUT this won't be the issue...............it will be the lack of Korey which will do for him.

the only player who gets stuck in is Korey and our record without him is p*ss poor. he's going to be out for sometime and we cant expect Brownhill to be our salvation.

so LJ needs a plan or to get lucky with a loan, or Both. and i won't put money on it happening for him

much as i want him to succeed we need a manager that players want to come and play for. its not just the money thats making players pick other teams.

please let it happen soon or this season will be gone before we know it. and if you want to pick a man your players want to sign for look at our own rugby club who brought in an outstanding coach, to see how to get the best players

Long felt the Pack/Korey combination had limited us and that maybe Korey was coming to the end of his time here. It’s always sad for players to get bad injuries but feel it may actually help LJ being able to try other options.

It may well be that purse strings will be loosened with this latest injury and it gives us a real opportunity to bring something a little more creative into the midfield, maybe the sort of leader that we lack.

Alternatively someone like Walsh or O’Dowda could step up and do a job although that is more of a risk.

1 minute ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Long felt the Pack/Korey combination had limited us and that maybe Korey was coming to the end of his time here. It’s always sad for players to get bad injuries but feel it may actually help LJ being able to try other options.

It may well be that purse strings will be loosened with this latest injury and it gives us a real opportunity to bring something a little more creative into the midfield, maybe the sort of leader that we lack.

Alternatively someone like Walsh or O’Dowda could step up and do a job although that is more of a risk.

It’s an interesting take and time for brownhill to realise his promise with him and o’dowda I am reminded that they are still both so young and haven’t got the experience.

they both now have over 50 championship appearances each if they can’t step up now then are they really the real deal.

This season was always looking bad.  Losing 4 very good players in the summer, 6 game ban for Fam made it worse, then all the centre back injuries and now Korey.  Another poor result against QPR and we will really be looking like relegation fodder.

Blame the coach all you like, but there isn't a lot he can do against this backdrop other than recruit a couple of loanees very quickly.

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have to say he’s one of the players I’m not convinced we can do without 

Got to agree with you on this. He’s all action and gets involved but is also limited in some areas. He scored against Man Utd, but his league record is about 1 goal every 3 years. He also seems to run out of ideas when he reaches the opposition penalty area and rarely produces a decisive pass 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Got to agree with you on this. He’s all action and gets involved but is also limited in some areas. He scored against Man Utd, but his league record is about 1 goal every 3 years. He also seems to run out of ideas when he reaches the opposition penalty area and rarely produces a decisive pass 

I see him m as our little dynamo , gives us bite and when ticking gives us some drive and forward momentum 

Big miss for me

Like others have said, I don’t think Pack and Smith work that well together. And out of the two Pack seems to be the one who has improved during our time in the championship. 

Biggest concern will be if Smith is out for a while we will be relying on Pack and Brownhill not getting injured or banned during that time. 

I rate Smith but as LJ seems to want to shoe horn in Smith, Pack and Brownhill at every opportunity I’m hopeful this may be a small blessing in disguise.

He will now have to return to a right midfielder playing right midfield and put Brownhill back in the middle..

Hopefully Eliasson or Watkins or whoever will do a job and Pack  and Brownhill will do ok in the middle and a lesson will be learnt that when Smith returns it is 2 from 3 if he wants to persist with 4 in midfield.

Personally feel we should be trying to get Brownhill accustomed to CM in the championship so that him and Pack can be our pairing. If we're playing 5 midfielders then start Smith of course but if not then I think I see him as an impact sub rather than a starter. People have long complained about our lack of goals and assists from CM and Smith offers very little in the final third. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Lots on here dont rate Smith as high as they should. About to find out how good he is by the fact we will miss him so much.

Much like those who think Joe Bryan isnt a left back! 

I think this season we are about to see whether Josh can really step into Korey shoes, albeit they are different types of player.  It is fair to say Korey is definitely a player you notice when he’s not there, if that makes sense.  Up to Brownhill to make it not the case thus time.

19 minutes ago, Neo said:

I rate Smith but as LJ seems to want to shoe horn in Smith, Pack and Brownhill at every opportunity I’m hopeful this may be a small blessing in disguise.

He will now have to return to a right midfielder playing right midfield and put Brownhill back in the middle..

Hopefully Eliasson or Watkins or whoever will do a job and Pack  and Brownhill will do ok in the middle and a lesson will be learnt that when Smith returns it is 2 from 3 if he wants to persist with 4 in midfield.

Johnson at his best when he doesn’t have choice!

46 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Like others have said, I don’t think Pack and Smith work that well together. And out of the two Pack seems to be the one who has improved during our time in the championship. 

Biggest concern will be if Smith is out for a while we will be relying on Pack and Brownhill not getting injured or banned during that time. 

Exactly - there are no suitable replacements currently at the club imo. He’s one of our only two leaders aswell. 

Reinforcements required urgently in the central areas. I’m normally positive but I’m standing by for one uninspiring loan incoming.

42 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Exactly - there are no suitable replacements currently at the club imo. He’s one of our only two leaders aswell. 

Reinforcements required urgently in the central areas. I’m normally positive but I’m standing by for one uninspiring loan incoming.

This is beginning to look like January all over again

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Personally feel we should be trying to get Brownhill accustomed to CM in the championship so that him and Pack can be our pairing. If we're playing 5 midfielders then start Smith of course but if not then I think I see him as an impact sub rather than a starter. People have long complained about our lack of goals and assists from CM and Smith offers very little in the final third. 

I agree about Pack and Brownhill - but I feel we'll miss his leadership qualities - although Pack is stepping up in a big way so far this season.

Based on prior performances and injuries if Bakers back. For QPR, Id go the following with Korey out;

Maenpaa, Pisano, Webster, Baker, Kelly, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Pack, Eliasson, Eisa, Weimann.

4-4-2. Do the basics. Close down in and around the box, pushing them back when safe to force the long ball and attempt to recycle possession and hit them on the break. There by far enough pace in that team to punish with the likes of O'Dowda, Brownhill, Eliasson, Eisa, Weimann and Kelly.

We need the 3 pts to lift morale and give us a kick. An away win would be perfect.

35 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Based on prior performances and injuries if Bakers back. For QPR, Id go the following with Korey out;

Maenpaa, Pisano, Webster, Baker, Kelly, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Pack, Eliasson, Eisa, Weimann.

4-4-2. Do the basics. Close down in and around the box, pushing them back when safe to force the long ball and attempt to recycle possession and hit them on the break. There by far enough pace in that team to punish with the likes of O'Dowda, Brownhill, Eliasson, Eisa, Weimann and Kelly.

We need the 3 pts to lift morale and give us a kick. An away win would be perfect.

Cant see us leaving Hunt out. 

44 minutes ago, Fuber said:

I'm pretty sure I heard that Baker won't be considered fit until the Swansea game at the earliest (Dean Holden press conference?)

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Time will tell- 4-4-2 might work in this one. 

Course, there's the risk they will move it around us if they revert back to their 4-3-3 they often used last season- they've tweaked it this year and seem more open- and the chasing will be in vain leaving big gaps behind.

Smith apparently came back overweight & unfit after this summer. He’s been playing catch up with the rest of the squad during pre season.

This is apparently why he wasn’t  starting the first couple of games and now he’s got fit, he then gets injured. We’re having no luck already this season. 

Smith is important for us as an option, we’ll definitely miss him.

It’ll be interesting tonight to see if Johnson puts Walsh in & has Brownhill on the right or reverts back to what we saw in the first couple of games & puts a proper winger out there.

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

I would like to see 

Maenpaa

Hunt - Webster - Kelly - Da Silva

Eliasson - Brownhill - Pack - O’Dowda

Eisa

Wiemann 

but I am sure LJ will start the inspiring MOM Paterson over Eisa and probably fit Pisano in for Da Silva again even though Da Silva playing with Callum looked great coming forward (albeit for a short time).  Give youth a chance !!

11 hours ago, where's the joy said:

its only a matter of time before LJ goes. he hasn't recruited well this summer, the spine of the team is poor and he has proved several times that he can manage dreadful runs more consistently than good ones. BUT this won't be the issue...............it will be the lack of Korey which will do for him.

the only player who gets stuck in is Korey and our record without him is p*ss poor. he's going to be out for sometime and we cant expect Brownhill to be our salvation.

so LJ needs a plan or to get lucky with a loan, or Both. and i won't put money on it happening for him

much as i want him to succeed we need a manager that players want to come and play for. its not just the money thats making players pick other teams.

please let it happen soon or this season will be gone before we know it. and if you want to pick a man your players want to sign for look at our own rugby club who brought in an outstanding coach, to see how to get the best players

I absolutely agree that Korey Smith is a critical player for us. But, more importantly, I’d love to know what your issue is with capital letters at the start of sentences.

Pack and Smith as a combo don’t score enough goals from the middle, that’s why I think Brownhill will replace Smith more and more in that role, even if Brownhill gets 4 this season it will probably be more than what Smith has scored for us in his entire career at AG. 

43 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Smith apparently came back overweight & unfit after this summer. He’s been playing catch up with the rest of the squad during pre season.

This is apparently why he wasn’t  starting the first couple of games and now he’s got fit, he then gets injured. We’re having no luck already this season. 

It’ll be interesting tonight to see if Johnson puts Walsh in & has Brownhill on the right or reverts back to what we saw in the first couple of games & puts a proper winger out there.

Interesting that Smith came back overweight - I’d have thought he and all the squad would have been warned about returning carrying extra timber. If true then that cost  him a starting place with only himself to blame and now he’s injured......

51 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I’m surprised by this, if it’s true. I had thought of Smith as one member of the squad whose professionalism could be relied upon. Disappointing.

11 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This season was always looking bad.  Losing 4 very good players in the summer, 6 game ban for Fam made it worse, then all the centre back injuries and now Korey.  Another poor result against QPR and we will really be looking like relegation fodder.

Blame the coach all you’ve like, but there isn't a lot he can do against this backdrop other than recruit a couple of loanees very quickly.

Have to agree with this. The heart has been ripped out of the team. Three almost ever-present top performers sold: quite apart from anything else, I think Reid, Flint & Bryan scored some 35 goals between them last season. You don’t replace that easily. Add in the further loss of a useful alternative/cover in Djuric;  the loss also in pre-season of your regular first choice keeper, which is disruptive, regardless of what people think of him; and now the prolonged absence of an indisputably important member of the squad, on top of the six match Famara ban and a rash of centre back injuries, and you already have a perfect storm to rival last year’s mid-season crisis, with the new campaign barely begun. Very few clubs and/or managers could cope with the combined impact of all that. I am essentially neutral on LJ, neither a fan or a critic, but using this as an opportunity to lay into him with just three league games played is a cheap shot, though unsurprising of course and pretty much what one expects on OTIB.

31 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I’m surprised by this, if it’s true. I had thought of Smith as one member of the squad whose professionalism could be relied upon. Disappointing.

Maybe this is why Pack is suddenly captain in Wright’s  absence even though I thought Smith was vice captain !?!

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Maybe this is why Pack is suddenly captain in Wrigh’s absence even though I thought Smith was vice captain !?!

I’m confused by this too, thought I had missed some announcement but it’s just quietly slipped under the radar. I thought Korey and Walsh worked well together against Plymouth and Pack’s place might be in danger at times, then he appears as Captain on Saturday, so you would think he’s a guaranteed starter? 

Yes we will miss Korey, hopefully the op will show there isn’t too much damage, but that’s not how our luck goes is it? We have had long spells without him before, was it ankle last time? He has taken time to get back to the Korey of old, when he gets injured he certainly does, no little niggles for him. 

Archived