IGNORED

SL will need to build the indoor Arena now

Fiale

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We have a metro mayor.

Forget his name, some bald bloke.

What's he doing/done for the region? Barely hear about him- **** all I assume.

There's a limit what anyone can do with f all budget and having to deal with two not particularly cooperating authorities.

The ideal that Filton, Downend and Staple Hill are not in Bristol is ******* crackers.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

There's a limit what anyone can do with f all budget and having to deal with two not particularly cooperating authorities.

The ideal that Filton, Downend and Staple Hill are not in Bristol is ******* crackers.

That's a fair point. One out of North Somerset and North East Somerset- can't remember which- didn't even sign up to the metro mayor scheme!

Dunno what sort of budget the guy has but he neither seems to talk much (not necessarily a bad thing) or do much that I can ascertain.

Staple Hill sure, Downend maybe. Filton though? Always leant towards South Gloucestershire tbh- perhaps it's both.

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It adds to the cultural vibrancy of that City. When Massive Attack played at Queens Square the City centre became more alive, its cafes and bars in the vicinity were filled.

That was 15yrs ago! Bristol is far from a cultural wasteland and the cafes and bars around there are regularly busy. But I agree it needs to be in Bristol for the City to get the maximum benefit. And I also agree that Marvin is a **** 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

That was 15yrs ago! Bristol is far from a cultural wasteland and the cafes and bars around there are regularly busy. But I agree it needs to be in Bristol for the City to get the maximum benefit. And I also agree that Marvin is a **** 

Gotta be in Bristol for sure- no brainer surely.

I can;'t think of any other major city in UK that would stick their arena away from a main rail link and somewhat north (5 and a bit miles) north of the centre.

@pillred

It's not fantastic I'll grant you, Metrobus I'm not exactly expecting great things from. I've been to some of these cities I list though and I struggle to believe that (not including London obviously) that their public transport network is vastly superior to ours. Maybe it is, like I say only been to a number of them briefly so it's hard to judge but centre makes so much more sense than Filton IMO.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I could have made similar points about Massive Arracks gigs on the harbourside and downs, and I have never seen Clifton as busy as it was that day.

An arena near at Temple Meads will stimulate further associated culture. Filton? Its a nonsense in comparison.

11 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

Don’t think many people are against cycle lanes, just the selfish cyclists who choose to ride on the road adjacent to them..................

If my choice is between cycling on the road or on a cycle path that is in a state of disrepair and suddenly ends without warning, I will choose the road. I'm sorry if choosing not to get a puncture or have to dismount unnecessarily is "selfish", but doing so is completely legal and I'm sure you wouldn't miss the extra five seconds of your day it would take to drive around me. 

23 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I give you Manchester Arena- central.

Cardiff Arena- Believe it's not out in the sticks.

Leeds- Others have mentioned on here. Fairly central.

Liverpool- Will have to look up the postcode, however I bet it's not their equivalent of Filton. @Northern Red might well correct me however!

Nottingham- Sure it's fairly central.

Someone on here said 02 had little parking by it.

Might I ask, what makes Bristol so different?

Liverpools is by the Albert Dock, pretty much central. They did get a fair slice of funding from the European City of Culture gig but even so its a prime example of what we should have had built years ago - back when we first touted a venue by @ Bristol etc. 

On 25/08/2018 at 10:16, Neo said:

Bristol brought all this on itself when it originally voted for a mayor. I voted against as I knew it would just be another ****t trying to make a name for himself/herself.

Massive mistake and Bristol is the worse for it.

It gets worse tbh.

On top of the Mayor we- as in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North East Somerset I think- also have a 'Metro Mayor' called Tim Bowles.

Got elected May 2017...anyone know what he does?? Invisible man acts aside!

Cardiff Arena is less than 10 minutes walk from the train station. Birmingham’s Arena is just under a mile so about 20 minutes from New Street. Compared to what seems an almost certainty that Bristol’s Arena will be in Filton they are ideally placed.

Anyway, I think that our AG Arena will be open before the squabbling has ended about Filton.

Archived