IGNORED

Watching football / sport on TV.

Tipps69

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Perhaps he’s secretly our tannoy announcer as well ?

Peps English is far more understandable than the AG tannoy system............

Dont get me started on that topic. It’s the one issue that really winds me up.

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

It’s all becoming more than just a little ridiculous now.

First of all we obviously had the bog standard terrestrial channels, then Sky arrived & then different guises of the failed football channel (the names escape me), then BT Sport joined in & now there’s various streaming sites to watch Spanish & Italian football, YouTube showing various live events (football & boxing etc) & now Amazon Prime have managed to jump on the bandwagon for US Open tennis & The US Open golf was streamed live only on some online channel.

So to watch all of this now, people are expected to pay out for Sky & BT Sports, Eleven Sports & Amazon Prime & whatever other streaming site wins the rights to an event.

At this rate there will be separate subscriptions needed to view every individual competition for every single sport.

How is this in the best interest of the paying customer? These subscriptions aren’t exactly cheap as it is but by having to subscribe to more & more companies, it is going to get to the stage where very few sports or competitions will have any viewers.

And yes, I understand that no one is forced to watch these sports / sites but as someone who likes to watch sports, at this time of year normally I’d be able to watch the US Open tennis on Eurosport, free of charge but now Amazon Prime have the rights to it & it’s not something that I’d sign up to just so I can watch the tennis, likewise I’m not going to sign up to sights to watch the foreign football or the golf, all of which I had access to last year without having to go beyond a Sky subscription.

Is there actually enough interest by the paying public to actually warrant these individual events being on a stand alone subscription service? Will people really go out & pay to watch tennis & golf on TV? I’d watch it if there was little else on & it was free but I sure as hell won’t be paying to watch any tennis or golf tournaments, no matter what else is or isn’t on TV.

I just don’t see how this can be seen as good for the individual sports or for sport in general, how many children will pick up interest in a sport now if they can’t actually see it on TV in the first place for it to grab their attention?

They seem to be flooding all the outlets with too many options & by expecting everyone to pay for it all, it just seems over the top.

Are we actually heading towards every individual event, for every single sport, will require people to pay out if they want watch it because surely that will just see more people give up with watching sports on TV, it certainly will as far as I’m concerned.

It's the same with all TV, it's no wonder that people are using other means to view anything these days. For every method that the companies come up with to block these options, there are 100 people out there working a way around them within hours, I think all these companies will have to rethink how they monetise their interests, you already see it with "in programme advertising" and product placement is becoming increasingly obvious. 

It doesn't help that the restrictions they impose are often based on the country you are in, almost every premier league game is available FTA in Canada for example, so a reasonable argument can be made for accessing those games via any available stream, by claiming that you are being discriminated against because of your geographical location.

3 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

If you haven't watched it yet, catch the "Man City all or nothing" documented on Prime, its ace. Great for all football fans.

@ExiledAjax

I'm going to try to watch some of it, but tbh it's a bit of a puff piece by the sound of it.

Let's be honest, that doc. Clubs love to control the message, nome more than big clubs in modern times.

Sunderland documentary should be more fun I reckon- given they crashed out the Championship, second successive relegation bottom of the table again. More raw as well.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@ExiledAjax

I'm going to try to watch some of it, but tbh it's a bit of a puff piece by the sound of it.

Let's be honest, that doc. Clubs love to control the message, nome more than big clubs in modern times.

Sunderland documentary should be more fun I reckon- given they crashed out the Championship, second successive relegation bottom of the table again. More raw as well.

Man City one is worth a watch just to see their facilities tbh. That home dressing room is like something out of an 80's sci-fi film.

I'd not heard about the Sunderland one, agreed should be much more interesting to see a club on the down, and how they try to fix that, than watch a mega-club walk the league.  Reminds me of the Blackburn one from a few years back when the Venkys took over, a study in hubris that was.

19 hours ago, Posset red said:

Perferred it when sky had everything 

Agreed. Then Sky provided  us with nine channels each supposedly dedicated to one particular sport. Trouble is the Formula 1 races are every few weeks and some events, either cricket or football are broadcast simultaneously on two or sometimes three of the channels.

Sky also ditched fishing (not that I was interested in that and the domestic and international Speedway meetings.  Eurosport picked up the speedway and kept the same commentators. They then lost it to BT Sport. BT put their price up and only show the international meetings, none of the British league meetings. No publicity for the clubs and no TV revenue either. As a result many speedway clubs are in financial dire straits.

I put a lot of blame for the current situation regarding football onto ITV.

From the early 60s to early 80s BBC would show MOTD. The first game was always from Div 1, but the 2nd game not necessarily so. If two of the top teams in Div 3 or 4 were playing one another that would be shown in keeping with the programme's name. At that time ITV was a group of regional companies and most of them showed one of their local games on a Sunday afternoon. Needless to say HTV nearly always broadcast the London game instead of City, Swindon or Cardiff. One Sunday Anglia were showing highlights of Luton 1 - City 3. HTV treated us to a Spurs game.

Then ITV tore up the gentlemen's agreement and tried grabbing the entire league for themselves and having done so concentrated on just six clubs, Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Forest, Arsenal and Spurs.

Then along came Sky and Sky Sports was free at first. Then they dangled a carrot and all the donkeys then in Division 1 ran after it. Until that stage at the League's AGM the clubs in Div 1 & 2 had one vote each. Those in 3 & 4 had four votes between them. They demanded a vote each and the big boys got together, did some maths and proposed a scheme which was accepted. 24 clubs in Div 4 - 1 vote each. 24 clubs in Div 3 - 3 votes each. 22 clubs in Div 2 - 6 votes each and 12 votes for each of the top 22.

22x12 = 264. The rest of the league = 24 + 72 + 132 = 228. Until this stage, all league gate receipts were split three ways. The majority of it to the home team, some to the visitors since their fans had contributed to the gate and a third portion to a league pot. At the end of the season, that league pot was split into 92 equal portions with each club getting one. Having won the voting game, the top teams then pushed through a change that meant each club keeps 100% of the gate receipts; great for Man U, catastrophic for Hartlepool etc.

The day before the 1991/92 season kicked off, all 22 clubs in the first division registered their resignations with the Football League so as to form a F.A. controlled Premier League the following season. The first Monday night game was QPR v Man C and both managers complained it didn't feel right with everyone else kicking off on the Saturday, but they had to wait until Monday night. It was pleasing to me when, a few years later, that pair met in a third tier game.

Having secured a monopoly of live games featuring the top football clubs, Sky then turned to the Rugby League. They gave the club a list of proposals. The clubs had three days to decide to accept or decline the total offer. They could not pick and choose just parts of it. The season was changed by six months so that Sky could show football in Winter and RL in Summer. It also brought their season into line with that in NZ & Aus. Another of the changes was that no player may be transferred without Sky's permission. At the time Wigan won everything (including the Cup for ten consecutive seasons) and if you know who's going to win, you're not going to pay a subscription to see it.

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Man City one is worth a watch just to see their facilities tbh. That home dressing room is like something out of an 80's sci-fi film.

I'd not heard about the Sunderland one, agreed should be much more interesting to see a club on the down, and how they try to fix that, than watch a mega-club walk the league.  Reminds me of the Blackburn one from a few years back when the Venkys took over, a study in hubris that was.

Hubris - I thought chickens were the Venkys business?

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don't have Amazon but I'm definitely planning to watch however I can. It should be good overall. 

I bet it's portrayed in a pretty positive, favourable light though. How they cover setbacks will also be of interest.

Those docs usually are, clubs or sides on the way down- warts and all. The best though was surely 'An Impossible Job.'

The idea was as we know Taylor successfully leading us to the World Cup, perhaps to showcase his excellence as a manager.

Throw in ideas of winning it too and it would have been likely to have been a pretty successful documentary. Likewise Sunderland were doubtless banking on a significantly more successful season when they commissioned the doc last year...

I love watching football in person and loved playing it.

I have never enjoyed watching it on telly, 

Apart from fans of the team actually playing, who on earth watches match of the day and why?

Sky and the bbc have convinced themselves that it’s what people want but I think it’s more a case of what they’re being force fed.

If item highlights or goals were available straightaway to all I think miners would drop significantly 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I love watching football in person and loved playing it.

I have never enjoyed watching it on telly, 

Apart from fans of the team actually playing, who on earth watches match of the day and why?

Sky and the bbc have convinced themselves that it’s what people want but I think it’s more a case of what they’re being force fed.

If item highlights or goals were available straightaway to all I think miners would drop significantly 

Football is huge and attracts thousands of tv viewers and why tv companies like Sky and BT try to out bid each other for the various tv rights.

I stopped playing around 30 years ago - got too old........but had always watched City and MoTD and the Big Match as was. I loved it back then ( there was very little live tv football ) and I still love it now.

That said, I usually record MoTD and watch the next day so I can FF the pundits analysis, unless it’s Danny Murphy who I could listen to talking football all day long.

7 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Go to the pub or watch the highlights if you don’t want to pay

How’s that the answer?

I’m unable to work because of an accident a few years back & a few other complications, I always played various sports & watched live as well. But I am now unable to play or watch sport live. My TV was also always on whatever sport was on, sport was / is my life, now I’m starting to be priced out of being able to watch sport!! How ridiculous is that?

If going to the pub was the answer, I’d probably spend most of my life in the pub & probably become an alcoholic, which isn’t something I wish upon myself & as someone who used to run pubs, I have no desire to spend my spare time in a pub just so I can watch sport on TV.

My point of the original post was because of the amount of different broadcasters that are now required & the amount of subscriptions that are now required, what used to be available on one or two forms, now require you to have nearly ten different subscriptions if you wish to watch everything that used to be available.

Things have got way out of hand & if someone actually wanted to watch what was available ten years ago or so, you’d probably be looking at spending a couple of hundred pounds a month, just to watch sport on TV.

It’s easy to see why people stream (illegally) via Kodi etc because the broadcasters have all got too greedy & I can see it damaging the sports soon as no one pay to keep some of the sports going.

Archived