IGNORED

Kalas and Webster

BCFC Grim

56 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Wow Chelsea wanted £8m! It sounds like he is worth it by theme reports on here.

If we go up and Mboro dont, do you think Flint will regret his move?

Any regret will be lessened when he checks his bank balance. :whistle:

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

I was talking to my Dad on the way home about our new defence and reiterated its a completely new back 5 this season, yet they look more comfortable, stable and compact than our defence has been for the last few years. Webster, Hunt and Kelly are all ‘ball players’ and Kalas adds that steel and experience needed at this level. Not to say Myapena (no idea of spelling!!!) hasn’t been good but if we could get a new no1 in Jan (perhaps the American) then we really would look solid at the back, and that’s what a good promotion team is based on

Our failings in the last few seasons back in the Championship have been in defence, and we’ve finally sorted it I think whilst still scoring goals

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fulham clearly had a plan on promotion and deemed the 8m for Kalas may be better used elsewhere. No telling who they have now that the may not have had if they bought him. Possibly they were able to bring in Chambers, Rico and Vietto with that same money? All on loan and may be a case that those 3 is a better chance at survival than just Kalas. Who knows but I think finances played a bigger part than his ability. 

Yep that's how I see it. Apparently Chelsea agreed 8.5m fee for Kalas up front of loan, but Fulham were not prepared to pay that. Their loss our considerable gain. Just hope LJ doesn't try shoe-horning Wright into the side when he is fit. Webster/Kalas at CB, Kelly LB should be nailed on, with Hunt/Pisano covering RB.

40 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Still think Baker and Wright are perfectly decent championship centre backs who will no doubt be called upon at some point this season.

16 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, decent, but neither have the ball skills of K & W.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They are very decent but will struggle to play unless either of the CBs gets injured/suspended.

I remember when Baker signed how delighted we all were, and who was the better player between Baker and Flint was a frequent source of debate.

Now we’ve sold Flint for £7m and Baker, who some regarded as superior to Flint, is now considered first reserve behind Kalas and Webster.

And after all that, we have more money in the bank than we started with. That’s real progress. Absolutely tremendous work from the club. 

While we are all getting excited about our defence, we have played Blsckburn without Dack and Sheffield United without Fleck, both of whom would have asked a few different questions.

On Tuesday, we will really get a chance to gauge where we are. For instance, how will Lloyd Kelly cope with Matt Phillips down the Baggies' right? Not worried, more interested, and that says something for how just good Kelly is at such a young age.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

While we are all getting excited about our defence, we have played Blsckburn without Dack and Sheffield United without Fleck, both of whom would have asked a few different questions.

On Tuesday, we will really get a chance to gauge where we are. For instance, how will Lloyd Kelly cope with Matt Phillips down the Baggies' right? Not worried, more interested, and that says something for how just good Kelly is at such a young age.

Kelly was often up against Duffy yesterday who is also a very good player and handled him well.

7 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Why do you think Fulham didnt take him to the PL or wasn't that an option? Pace, height? No one has mentioned a flaw on here?

His beard was a bit untidy for them ?

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fulham clearly had a plan on promotion and deemed the 8m for Kalas may be better used elsewhere. No telling who they have now that the may not have had if they bought him. Possibly they were able to bring in Chambers, Rico and Vietto with that same money? All on loan and may be a case that those 3 is a better chance at survival than just Kalas. Who knows but I think finances played a bigger part than his ability. 

Didn’t they sign Mawson?  Might’ve been a deciding factor

6 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Wow Chelsea wanted £8m! It sounds like he is worth it by theme reports on here.

If we go up and Mboro dont, do you think Flint will regret his move?

Kalas is the new John Stark - Soccer Mercinary!

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Dack maybe, but Fleck isn’t an attack minded CM.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Maybe we could be saying how will Matt Phillips cope with Lloyd Kelly down our left and then we unleash Eliasson? :)

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Maybe we could be saying how will Matt Phillips cope with Lloyd Kelly down our left and then we unleash Eliasson? :)

I've got a feeling it will be the team that finished the Sheff Utd game that starts the WBA game with Diedhiou and Niklas returning against Wigan. 

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Think our strongest partnership could end up being Baker and Kalas as the season progresses.

If Baker dies get a chance, he’s gonna need to take it.  Needs to get back to 100% commitment like the start of last season.  Not saying it’s his fault, we don’t know why his form dropped off, but he was a shadow of the player.

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

If Chelsea want £8m for him, then sod it sign him permanently in Jan!!

At his age, there's also potential for a profit there if we were to sell him on in a few years as well. 

Build from the back. Mind you it's been obvious the defence needed work for years. 

11 hours ago, Taz said:

At his age, there's also potential for a profit there if we were to sell him on in a few years as well. 

Build from the back. Mind you it's been obvious the defence needed work for years. 

I would not be against it at that price honestly. Even someone like Liam Moore was not selling for 8m. So if he performs the same after a buy(if we did buy) I think we’d eventually break even or close to it. 

11 hours ago, Taz said:

Agree that the fee would not be OTT in these times (Can’t  believe I’m thinking any £8 million fee is reasonable !!! )

Its the wages that would probably be a major obstacle

I would think Kalas is on £40/50 k a week at Chelsea at least 

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree that the fee would not be OTT in these times (Can’t  believe I’m thinking any £8 million fee is reasonable !!! )

This is very true. Just look at Tammys "reported" wage, for the Prem clubs nowadays, £40-50k a week is peanuts. For us, typically that's at least 2 decent first team players.

20 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I remember when Baker signed how delighted we all were, and who was the better player between Baker and Flint was a frequent source of debate.

Now we’ve sold Flint for £7m and Baker, who some regarded as superior to Flint, is now considered first reserve behind Kalas and Webster.

And after all that, we have more money in the bank than we started with. That’s real progress. Absolutely tremendous work from the club. 

When Baker signed on a permanent I was underwhelmed.

I thought he was inconsistent, likely to be injured or booked too often to be a dependable first team regular.

To start with he was fine but seems to have reverted to type.

He looks like he's playing beneath himself , cruising through games and hasn't got over being sold by a massive club like Villa.

I hope the subsequent competition for his place will give him the kick up the behind that I personally believe he needs.

He can be a top player . 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wow you really think he could be on that much at Chelsea! Good player but that is scary.

1 hour ago, Super said:

If Baker can regain the form when he was first here him alongside Kalas would be superb.

Baker doesn't have the ball skills that Webster has. Personally, I can't see either Baker or Wright getting in the back 4/5 unless there are injuries.

We look so much better playing out from the back this season.

The thing is I genuinely believe that, although he was behind Baker and Flint last season, there have been few back fours we have had since I first started supporting Bristol City in 1990 that would not have been improved by the presence of Bailey Wright. I reckon there are only two or three seasons in that time that he - let alone Baker - would not have been an automatic starter. The fact he is now fourth choice for the club shows how much our defence has improved. 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Full International ....Tammy on that at 20....

I wouldn’t think he’s on much less if not more

I recall someone saying he is on about 25k a well in a different thread. Think it come up when talking about why Fulham did not buy him(again in a post a few weeks ago). Probably not on as much as Tammy as he was bought by Chelsea from Europe. Plus a defender and not a striker. 

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Baker doesn't have the ball skills that Webster has. Personally, I can't see either Baker or Wright getting in the back 4/5 unless there are injuries.

It's possible Wright could replace Hunt at RB as he's better defensively, did well there last season

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

When Baker signed on a permanent I was underwhelmed.

I thought he was inconsistent, likely to be injured or booked too often to be a dependable first team regular.

To start with he was fine but seems to have reverted to type.

He looks like he's playing beneath himself , cruising through games and hasn't got over being sold by a massive club like Villa.

I hope the subsequent competition for his place will give him the kick up the behind that I personally believe he needs.

He can be a top player . 

A supporter I was chatting to today, reckons Baker was injured last season and playing through it.

5 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Absolutely.

The back four looks very solid, with Webster and Kalas  both better footballers than Baker or Flint. Kelly continues to develop and impress. Hunt has adapted well.

Conceding just once - and a fluke at that - in the last four games reflects just how impressive the back four has become.

Archived