IGNORED

Kalas and Webster

BCFC Grim

The Blades are  a pretty good side, well organised and compact but didn’t really force Mapaa into a serious save but they certainly bossed the first 45 by dominating the midfield and well done to LJ for changing formation in the second half and for getting the substitutes timing spot on. 

It was a tough old game for sure.

Surely no LJ critics can complain about 12 points out of 12?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The Blades are  a pretty good side, well organised and compact but didn’t really force Mapaa into a serious save but they certainly bossed the first 45 by dominating the midfield and well done to LJ for changing formation in the second half and for getting the substitutes timing spot on. 

I was hoping for 13.

17 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

No goal conceded from open play for 4 games, 3 of them with kalas and Webster. Promising. 

Has been some horrendous finishing in those games mind! but also some good defending.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

:yes:

Interesting to hear LJ say he takes the "blame" for anytime Webster gets caught playing football, because it's the way he wants them to play.

No, overall I've been very impressed with new signings and these two can only get better and better together

crossing fingers no one gets injured of course

I really like the look of Webster. Reminds me of John Stones under pep. Obviously not nearly as good but he has the potential to play at premier league level with his style of play. Before the season finishes he'll probably be responsible for a few goals conceded but we'll have to take that on the chin. Him and Kalas are a great partnership. Hard to see how Baker and Wright will make their way back in but what great back ups to have! It's nice to have decent replacements for each position, id say GK is still the weak spot but its 3 clean sheets in 4 now so we can't complain. Providing we can keep players fit all season I think we have the right balance to seriously contend a play off spot at minimum now but there is a long way to go, next up is West Brom, arguably our biggest test so far so it will be interesting to see how we get on against one of the real BIG teams. 

13 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Kalas is easily the best CB seen down here since Caulker. Possibly the best I’ve seen in my 28 odd years of watching City. And that’s after seeing just 3 games of him. 

Absolutely agree and mentioned the same in another thread. He maybe shorter than Flint but he is class.

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hunt is our weakest link defensively (Good going forward) let’s players run in behind him too much for my liking but he’s an attacking full back of the modern trend 

Worth looking at the goals we have conceded this season. Hunt certainly at fault on a number of occasions, and more than any other defender. Good going forward, (an upgraded Mark Little) but comes off badly in the comparison with Lloyd Kelly on the left, but then perhaps most right backs would.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I did and had a chuckle. It would be a dream to sign him permanently. Think our best chance at doing so is promotion though. ?

Promotion is also our best chance of holding onto Lloyd Kelly.

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

No, they will just continue to harp on about the second half of last season. 

If we win every game for the remainder of this season, they’d still see it as 47? Wins in 69 games..! 

You can't but be impressed with Kalas and Webster and how much more accomplished our CB pairing are and the goals against column 

Definitely an upgrade on Baker and Flint both defensively and when in possession of the ball. Early days I know but if these two stay fit then we have every chance of having a better season than last

14 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’ll say it. 

If you give me a choice of Kalas and Webster vs Flint and Baker - I would take the former. 

And that’s even without someone throwing you a substantial amount of cash to go with the first pair.

Granted Kalas is a loan, but how much might one season’s worth of his services be worth alone?

Absolutely tremendous business from the club.

39 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Absolutely agree and mentioned the same in another thread. He maybe shorter than Flint but he is class.

Worth looking at the goals we have conceded this season. Hunt certainly at fault on a number of occasions, and more than any other defender. Good going forward, (an upgraded Mark Little) but comes off badly in the comparison with Lloyd Kelly on the left, but then perhaps most right backs would.

Promotion is also our best chance of holding onto Lloyd Kelly.

True but with his contract I think we can keep him one more season after this before we actually need to consider it. Fulham kept Sessegnon. Sheff U kept O’Connell. Reading kept Liam Moore. Brentford kept Mempham. He has 4 years left on his deal and unless we get silly money(20m +) then I think he is ours for this season and next minimum

I was talking to my Dad on the way home about our new defence and reiterated its a completely new back 5 this season, yet they look more comfortable, stable and compact than our defence has been for the last few years. Webster, Hunt and Kelly are all ‘ball players’ and Kalas adds that steel and experience needed at this level. Not to say Myapena (no idea of spelling!!!) hasn’t been good but if we could get a new no1 in Jan (perhaps the American) then we really would look solid at the back, and that’s what a good promotion team is based on

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

Why do you think Fulham didnt take him to the PL or wasn't that an option? Pace, height? No one has mentioned a flaw on here?

Fulham clearly had a plan on promotion and deemed the 8m for Kalas may be better used elsewhere. No telling who they have now that the may not have had if they bought him. Possibly they were able to bring in Chambers, Rico and Vietto with that same money? All on loan and may be a case that those 3 is a better chance at survival than just Kalas. Who knows but I think finances played a bigger part than his ability. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Fulham clearly had a plan on promotion and deemed the 8m for Kalas may be better used elsewhere. No telling who they have now that the may not have had if they bought him. Possibly they were able to bring in Chambers, Rico and Vietto with that same money? All on loan and may be a case that those 3 is a better chance at survival than just Kalas. Who knows but I think finances played a bigger part than his ability. 

Wow Chelsea wanted £8m! It sounds like he is worth it by theme reports on here.

If we go up and Mboro dont, do you think Flint will regret his move?

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

You can't but be impressed with Kalas and Webster and how much more accomplished our CB pairing are and the goals against column 

Definitely an upgrade on Baker and Flint both defensively and when in possession of the ball. Early days I know but if these two stay fit then we have every chance of having a better season than last

Indeed they do look a lot more solid than Flint/Baker pairing.  What’s that now, one fluke conceded in four games?. Pretty impressive.

Seeing these two makes me appreciate just how limited Flint was and this place was in meltdown when he and Bryan moved on but LJs recruitments have improved the back four massively. 

Kelly, even at his young age  is already a class act.

Baker and Wright will both find it difficult to get back in to the starting 11 if there are no injuries.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed they do look a lot more solid than Flint/Baker pairing.  What’s that now, one fluke conceded in four games?. Pretty impressive.

Seeing these two makes me appreciate just how limited Flint was and this place was in meltdown when he and Bryan moved on but LJs recruitments have improved the back four massively. 

Kelly, even at his young age  is already a class act.

Baker and Wright will both find it difficult to get back in to the starting 11 if there are no injuries.

I agree they look a very solid unit, and most of them look comfortable on the ball.

I am a little nervous of the 'one goal in four' which is being quoted a lot in their favour. It's clearly true, but I tend to judge the effectiveness of our back line, indeed the shape of our team, as much by how many chances we give away, as how many we let in. I think this is down mainly to how we line up in midfield as much as anything, but in three of our four wins, we conceeded really good chances that should have led to more goals.

Seems to be mainly a first half issue, and we seem to be finishing games strongly. Teams that go up seem to have the knack of just looking really tight all game, whereas we have in most games periods when we are definitely second best.

The real exception for me was Swansea, which was the best defensive performance by the whole team since we beat Brighton away.

Its early days, and they can only get better as they get to play more time as a unit. Delighted with how we are faring overall of course. Just trying not to get carried away as we are still work in progress.

Archived