IGNORED

Friday night........

BCFC1512

• Admin
11 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Have we cheered for opposition players ( who once played for us)  during games?

Didn't mention cheering, just the clapping when taking corners etc.. 

We've had supporters clap Holloway walking along the touchline in the past! 

15 hours ago, spudski said:

Would love to know whether there are stats that prove giving dog shit abuse to the opposition actually gains you points.

I'm in the category of clapping players and showing appreciation.

However...in the back of my head, I always feels Ashton gate is a nice place for the opposition to visit.

We support our own, when the going is good...but very rarely make it a hostile environment that would put off the opposition imo.

IMO- clap Tammy, clap Albert, indifference towards Bolasie and boo Kodjia probably.

Can be, but not always- fairly sure there have been games (pre redevelopment) where whistling the opposition in possession took place in relegation battles, for some reason Leicester at home one year sticks in the mind. Fans gave Rob Green some good flak in 2012 too- all the standard football chants but still nice and partisan, the old "You let your country down" when he came back with West Ham. "Where's your caravan" chants at opposition goalies with long hair might have a put off effect.

@phantom Agreed when the game starts, they are the opposition and we are us- and don't even get me started on applause for Hollowhead, what's all that about!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

chants at opposition goalies with long hair might have a put off effect.

Can remember some more than colourful conversations with Gavin Ward when he was GK at Stoke

None more so than the year Tins lobbed him from the half way line and he got caught in the netting in front of us - just after giving us a real mouthful 

Bizzare the animosity towards Kodjia in my opinion. So, he didn't want to play for one game where the two clubs had agreed a deal. Common sense all round imo, I certainly would not have wanted the club to have missed out on his transfer fee.  He was a real talent - Villa paid that for a reason - and I liked him, he was pretty consistent in the effort he put into matches.

12 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

Bizzare the animosity towards Kodjia in my opinion. So, he didn't want to play for one game where the two clubs had agreed a deal. Common sense all round imo, I certainly would not have wanted the club to have missed out on his transfer fee.  He was a real talent - Villa paid that for a reason - and I liked him, he was pretty consistent in the effort he put into matches.

And (hope I'm not saying this too soon) we arguably saw the best of him, the injuries he suffered after leaving mean Villa will be unlikely to get the fee back despite his age.

I've lost count of the times Bruce is quoted as saying he's getting back to the old Kodjia

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

Catch 22 innit!

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very Good, although I seem to recall Heller's character was spelt with two S's, rather than zzs.

A wonderful book, though I have been unable to locate the film.

You are both correct in guessing the origins of my username and indeed, the option to use an s was taken when I set up an email account years ago (The spelling just sort of stuck). I would highly recommend the novel to anyone, it tells the farcical story of US flyboys in WW2.

Some favourite quotes:

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle."

“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
And what difference does that make?”

“Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”

“The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likable. In three days no one could stand him.” 

39 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

You are both correct in guessing the origins of my username and indeed, the option to use an s? was taken when I set up an email account years ago (The spelling just sort of stuck). I would highly recommend the novel to anyone, it tells the farcical story of US flyboys in WW2.

Some favourite quotes:

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle."

“Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”

Like many of my age, I read Catch 22 when I was a teenager,  coincidentally around the same time as the American Vietnam War series, MASH, and I recall being struck by the similarities in the lives of the serving military men: I also recall being amused at the highlighted Malvolio quote.

Some years ago I purchased second-hand a Joseph Heller paperback, written in a similar vein, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called.   

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Can remember some more than colourful conversations with Gavin Ward when he was GK at Stoke

None more so than the year Tins lobbed him from the half way line and he got caught in the netting in front of us - just after giving us a real mouthful 

Didn’t Ward get attacked by a Rivers fan at the Mem?  If he was a gobby player, I now understand why.

5 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

Thanks.  My view too.  Liked Kodjia, don’t think he did a lot wrong imho.  LJ also planned to play him out of position to accommodate Abraham.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks.  My view too.  Liked Kodjia, don’t think he did a lot wrong imho.  LJ also planned to play him out of position to accommodate Abraham.

Refusing to play iirc? Unsure of the opponent but sums him up, yes I get that going to Villa is a life changing amount of money, bigger club etc but refusing to play for your current employers? Not having that.

30 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Refusing to play iirc? Unsure of the opponent but sums him up, yes I get that going to Villa is a life changing amount of money, bigger club etc but refusing to play for your current employers? Not having that.

Wycombe I think.

Two sides to the story.  Would City have wanted to risk him being injured?

We soon got over Flint being left out for “head not being in the right place” v Plymouth last season didn’t we.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wycombe I think.

We soon got over Flint being left out for “head not being in the right place” v Plymouth last season didn’t we.

Fwiw it was Scunthorpe

I Remember SL being very ‘dissapointed’ by his attitude

8 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

We HADNT agreed any deal , or any fee with (that massive Club) Villa at the time he ‘asked not to play’

Snake

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wycombe I think.

Pretty sure they were going to risk it as he must of been at least in the squad for that game to of refused to take part. As for Flint I remember someone mentioning on here after speaking with him that he wasn’t interested in joining Brum so was in  a ‘like it or lump it’ situation, fair play to him he got his head down and more than proved his worth.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Ta.

Thats what SL said....not adverse to getting his point across first!!!  If you get my drift.

Fair point

But Unless SL was telling porkies - Kodjia basically forced our hand by ‘downing tools’ 

I accept that’s one side of the tale but it does fit the events

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

I know what you mean but for me the main thing I'd like (apart from 3 points) is for the internal stand lights to be turned off.

Night games are continually ruined by this ridiculous notion of having the lights on for 'safety reasons'. 

It’s a very dark place on a night down AG especially with the those extremely bright floodlights on you know.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair point

But Unless SL was telling porkies - Kodjia basically forced our hand by ‘downing tools’ 

I accept that’s one side of the tale but it does fit the events

Probably a bit of “two sides to every story”....very much doubt it was purely agent and player talk alone at that point.  I don’t remember being surprised that he didn’t play - there was a lot of speculation at the start of the season, Derby especially.  He didn’t play in rd1, was on the bench then also.

I remember Bolasie playing an important part in setting up a crucial Maynard goal against Southampton (Lambert included) a few years back during Mciness’s reign ensuring a 2.O victory against a team that were top at the time and that eventually got promoted.incidentally our mate Adonai was man of the match that day! Bolasie will be getting at least a muted clear from me!

On 25/09/2018 at 15:17, Taunton_BCFC said:

Can we not sing songs about ex players & give them a standing ovation please, it’s rather tragic.

Cheers in advance.....

‘Can we not’ is a common phrase used up North with the same meaning as the shortening of that phrase used down South which is ‘can’t we’ - eg in that infamous Graham Taylor documentary during his time as England manager when he ranted from the bench ‘Can we not knock it?!’ - which of course really meant...’Can’t we knock it?!’ - so your OP is effectively asking ‘Can’t we sing songs about ex players and give them a standing ovation please?’.....not really what you wanted to convey I’d guess....

Archived