IGNORED

The Amazing Neck Of Famara Diedhiou

Boston Red

Last season at home to QPR, ten man City had a corner. Diedhiou was in the six yard box. It was an outswinger that was behind him. Turning backwards, with his back half to goal, he jumped back away from the goal, connected with the ball, and swivelled his neck muscles to divert it into the far corner. He was virtually facing the bench at the time.

Last night, Matty Taylor's shot looped up away from him at an awkward angle. There was no pace on the ball. Extending his go-go-gadget neck, he generated all the power and direction to get the ball over the line. There was a defender on the line, and he got his foot to it, but the force of the ball carried it over the line.

Famara Diedhiou has a neck with the flexibility of an ostrich, the extension power of a swan, and the raw muscular strength of a crocodile. 

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

Famara Diedhiou has a neck with the flexibility of an ostrich, the extension power of a swan, and the raw muscular strength of a crocodile. 

...I wish his feet were as talented as his neck....having said that, he loses soooo many aerial challenges for someone with a ‘world class neck’ .....free headers ain’t too difficult....

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...I wish his feet were as talented as his neck....having said that, he loses soooo many aerial challenges for someone with a ‘world class neck’ .....free headers ain’t too difficult....

Having said that ,he did a brilliant drag down and flick past the defender leaving him open in the box...........unfortunately given just offside !:grr:

8 hours ago, Spoons said:

Glad he did score as he did bugger all else in the game last night.

But I'm happy if he does nothing except score the winning goal week in week out.

It was only Webster that stopped him getting Man of the Match for me, and that was before he scored!

34 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

It was only Webster that stopped him getting Man of the Match for me, and that was before he scored!

Funny how people see it differently. But he was static and immobile for me. Couldn't hold onto anything and virtually no link up play....until the 80th minute when Taylor came on.

9 hours ago, Spoons said:

Glad he did score as he did bugger all else in the game last night.

But I'm happy if he does nothing except score the winning goal week in week out.

Spoons.....not strictly true.....he did play some good holding up play and a handful of insightful through balls......(admittedly there was some dross too....but.....credit where credit is due old chap or Chapess!)

2 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Spoons.....not strictly true.....he did play some good holding up play and a handful of insightful through balls......(admittedly there was some dross too....but.....credit where credit is due old chap or Chapess!)

Chap but certainly not old! 34 is young and I'm sorry I don't agree thought he was worse than bang average. Don't get me started on his first touch.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Chap but certainly not old! 34 is young and I'm sorry I don't agree thought he was worse than bang average. Don't get me started on his first touch.

He won almost everything in the air, helped by the fact that Max kicks very accurately. His first touch is, uuuuhhh... inconsistent I think is a generous description. But when he is confidant it's better so scoring should help.

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

Funny how people see it differently. But he was static and immobile for me. Couldn't hold onto anything and virtually no link up play....until the 80th minute when Taylor came on.

I thought he improved as the game went on. Started the game trying to hold off his marker (mainly Elphick) and take it down, rather than try to win and direct a header or flick it on.  Whether it was when he went up-Top on his own or not but he did some better stuff later in the half, bringing others into play.

In the second half he started to attack the ball in the air and won a few.  Posters on here can’t criticise (for example) Webster for not winning every header, if we expect Diedhiou to win everyone at the other end.  The advantage is with the CH, so we need to give Diedhiou a bit of slack here.

When playing on your own up-top, there us a responsibility to stay more central, so Fam isn’t gonna be shuttling across the whole width of the pitch.

I must watch the goal back, because Fam laid it off to Matty coming in from the left wing.  What was his movement after releasing the pass to get into position to head home the parry from Marshall.  He must’ve covered a fair bit of ground to get there?

Overall Fam did ok, it wasn’t a crap performance, nor was it great either.  But the trend was upwards....gradually!!!  Pato was similar!

14 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

He's pretty good in the air for a continental! 

Disagree, CM. He has the jumping ability of a rhino. There was a time in the first half when we actually took a fairly good corner which was looping towards Fammy on the back post. Sadly, he was outjumped by a man 6 inches shorter than him.

However if the ball falls straight to his head then as the OP said, he is pretty talented at directing headers.

I'm inclined to agree with @Davefevs comment above. Diedhiou had a mixed night, but at the end of the day you cannot argue with the man who got the crucial goal. He did exactly what strikers are paid to do. Score.

Fammy is a mercurial type of player - sometimes he looks great other times like Bas Savage.

Didn't see Hull game but at West Brom he created a goal out of very little by cutting in from wide and producing an amazing shot which seemed to defy the laws of physics and went in off the far post. Seconds later he had a good chance within the box but completely fluffed a much easier shot.

I think he is bit like JET - looks awkward and disinterested at times then suddenly produces something special.  I don't know if he needs a kick up the backside to show his good side - no-one seemed able to get JET to perform consistently  but hopefully Fammy can sort his head out and become a more reliable player.

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Disagree, CM. He has the jumping ability of a rhino. There was a time in the first half when we actually took a fairly good corner which was looping towards Fammy on the back post. Sadly, he was outjumped by a man 6 inches shorter than him.

However if the ball falls straight to his head then as the OP said, he is pretty talented at directing headers.

I'm inclined to agree with @Davefevs comment above. Diedhiou had a mixed night, but at the end of the day you cannot argue with the man who got the crucial goal. He did exactly what strikers are paid to do. Score.

3 in 5 starts this season (plus 4 subs).

518 minute’s, a goal every 173 minutes....that’s better than 1 in 2.

He ain’t perfect.  He had good games and bad games, sometimes all rolled into the same appearance.  I don’t think he’s reached the heights of last season.

On paper, I thought Weimann / Diedhiou was a great combo.  It hasn’t panned out that way, so far.  A number of us also thought that Diedhiou / Taylor looked effective in limited minutes last season.

For JD, Stoke is the game to start Fam and Matty.  Weimann looks tired.  He works bloody hard, and the last 2/3 games have shown its taken its toll.  

The header v QPR last season at home was actually brilliantly angled. Just watched it again and it was as good as I remember.

He clearly has attributes, but we don't see them enough IMO. Also they aren't necessarily suitable for the quick passing/pressing game to which we seemingly aspire- but a very good other option to have I think.

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

He was most definitely static when in the opposition penalty area against Hull.

I also saw him make a fantastic through ball to Paterson (I think) and then trotted into the area - the shot from Paterson was parried and if he had sprinted into the area he may well have tapped it in. 

Frustrating, but cannot ignore his scoring record so he's doing something right. If he can just anticipate a bit better, stop being on his heels, and make some runs to the near post he (or the team) would score more imo.  Bit harsh maybe, but for 5.3m I'm expecting a bit more.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The header v QPR last season at home was actually brilliantly angled. Just watched it again and it was as good as I remember.

He clearly has attributes, but we don't see them enough IMO. Also they aren't necessarily suitable for the quick passing/pressing game to which we seemingly aspire- but a very good other option to have I think.

That was as good a header as I've seen at AG. How he managed to get it on target, let alone in the net, was outstanding.

Archived