IGNORED

Goin Nowhere Doin Nothing

longyears

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I can also add that we've regularly played Portsmouth, Bradford City , Barnsley , Sunderland, Oldham, all ex Prem sides where are they now? 

Also a team that thought they won the third division in November have played in the prem 

16 hours ago, longyears said:

With LJ in charge that is us - will not challenge for promotion and will likely not flirt with relegation. If that is what SL and the club wants then fair enough. Just wonder how long people will buy a season ticket to be bored by mediocrity and no real reason to care whether we win or lose. Any opinions out there..............?

We challenged for promotion last season and we are in the play off hunt this season. So your claim has already been proven to be false. We are challenging.

As for “going nowhere”...we’ve finished higher in the league for four consecutive seasons, could finish higher again this year, as well as redeveloping the stadium, hugely increasing our average attendance, building a new training ground plus a hugely enjoyable cup run. What does ambition look like to you? Throwing unsustainable amounts of money at the problem and hoping it works? Plenty of clubs have fallen a long way trying that.

I think I know why you chose that username. You think it’s what your wife calls you...

”Darling, how many years have we been married?”

”40 longyears”

The problem with 'steady' progress in this league is that every season 3 clubs enter the league with full wallets - clearly that does not mean they will be successful and get promoted straight away - lots of examples of it not happening but they won't all fail either.

It is a hugely tough league to get out of and as time passes it's going to get harder of that there is little doubt.

Our 'steady' progress does need to have timeline against it and that needs to be sooner rather than later.

I have a real concern that those who make these decisions ( not LJ ) have a belief that when they think we are ready the seas will part and we will walk into the PL being applauded through by the opposition.

My personal view is the plan is terminally flawed - I do hope I am wrong but I doubt I am.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We challenged for promotion last season and we are in the play off hunt this season. So your claim has already been proven to be false. We are challenging.

As for “going nowhere”...we’ve finished higher in the league for four consecutive seasons, could finish higher again this year, as well as redeveloping the stadium, hugely increasing our average attendance, building a new training ground and enjoying a hugely enjoyable cup run. What does ambition look like to you? Throwing unsustainable amounts of money at the problem and hoping it works? Plenty of clubs have fallen a long way trying that.

I think I know why you chose that username. You think it’s what your wife calls you...

”Darling, how many years have we been married?”

”40 longyears”

Here is a photo of Longyears.

They are very long .

IMG_0447.JPG

What people can’t seem to grasp is that a few seasons of mid table mediocrity is often actually in itself progression towards the ultimate goal.

Look at our trajectory in recent years:

League One mid table > League One winners > Championship relegation battle > Championship mid table > ???

Very few teams jump from relegation candidates to promotion contenders. Mid table mediocrity is usually the stepping stone.

People just can’t handle the fact that we’re currently a win one, lose one kind of team and dismiss it as “going nowhere”. Actually, it’s another step forward from where we were just a couple of seasons ago - and all the while working within a moderate budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

The lack of any broader perspective is so frustrating at times.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Swansea only just came down from the prem after several seasons, once they get the wages sorted and ditch the high earners their parachute payments will see them right up there again.

They may yet go straight back up tbh- Potter is steadying the ship there quite well, already got rid of a number of high earners.

@ScottishRed To me, the plan and the building thing depends on whether it's a rigid, linear plan- or whether it has flexibility built in where necessary. If it's the latter, I'm broadly in favour- if it's simply develop, sell, re-invest, develop, sell, re-invest ad nauseam then like you I have reservations.

By flexibility I mean where if budgets allow, risking taking a financial hit on certain players by saying 'no- we can't sell prize assets this summer' Perhaps summer 2019 might be a good time for this.

For example, this summer and the business done there could well if we don't gamble or splurge set us up to give it a bit of a go not only next season but 2020/21 too- we'll know a lot more when the Accounts come out but if calculations and estimates on here are broadly correct it does give us that wriggle room IMO- or that ability to say no to some big bids if we think risk greater than reward.

3 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

The problem with 'steady' progress in this league is that every season 3 clubs enter the league with full wallets - clearly that does not mean they will be successful and get promoted straight away - lots of examples of it not happening but they won't all fail either.

It is a hugely tough league to get out of and as time passes it's going to get harder of that there is little doubt.

Our 'steady' progress does need to have timeline against it and that needs to be sooner rather than later.

I have a real concern that those who make these decisions ( not LJ ) have a belief that when they think we are ready the seas will part and we will walk into the PL being applauded through by the opposition.

My personal view is the plan is terminally flawed - I do hope I am wrong but I doubt I am.

Agree.  Good response from @Mr Popodopolous too.

If there was no such thing as Parachute Payments, I would think it was a good strategy.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Watching for 50 years, season ticket for 38 of those, and very happy with where we are and where we're going at the moment. I haven't seen many years of more consistent progress and if there being some evidence of a plan to bring players through the club than I am now. 

can't argue there has been some progress, but selling your so called 3 best players and publicly stating that promotion this season was not a priority was a bit of a disappointment to me that's all.

19 hours ago, longyears said:

With LJ in charge that is us - will not challenge for promotion and will likely not flirt with relegation. If that is what SL and the club wants then fair enough. Just wonder how long people will buy a season ticket to be bored by mediocrity and no real reason to care whether we win or lose. Any opinions out there..............?

Well out here in the USA, where there is no relegation or promotion, stadiums are filled with people who just turn up to watch a game, be entertained, and enjoy themselves.  What a weird concept.

43 minutes ago, Atlanta_Red said:

Well out here in the USA, where there is no relegation or promotion, stadiums are filled with people who just turn up to watch a game, be entertained, and enjoy themselves.  What a weird concept.

I can watch a game that doesn't concern City but the emotion when watching my team just cannot be beaten. I couldn't stand over sanitised sport where there was nothing much at stake. Why bother ? 

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Watching for 50 years, season ticket for 38 of those, and very happy with where we are and where we're going at the moment. I haven't seen many years of more consistent progress and if there being some evidence of a plan to bring players through the club than I am now. 

We may well be bringing players through the club, but to only sell them and start again seems strange, unless we are building a multimillion pound savings pot somewhere(which we aren`t) to splash out...one day in the future.

We will always sell our best players (not sure who we can cash in on this season though) and remain far to inconsistent to go anywhere soon.

So where exactly will this plan to bring players through the club, get us if we don't keep them?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.  Good response from @Mr Popodopolous too.

If there was no such thing as Parachute Payments, I would think it was a good strategy.

Agree Dave Parachute Payments are a major issue for clubs in this division who do not benefit from them.

Take the squad,not just the starting 11, Stoke had yesterday - they would not have been able to fund their wages without PP.

It means that all relegated teams start with significant advantage - as I said previously it won't always work out but it also won't always fail.

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

We may well be bringing players through the club, but to only sell them and start again seems strange, unless we are building a multimillion pound savings pot somewhere(which we aren`t) to splash out...one day in the future.

We will always sell our best players (not sure who we can cash in on this season though) and remain far to inconsistent to go anywhere soon.

So where exactly will this plan to bring players through the club, get us if we don't keep them?

We sell the players and reinvest in better quality ones , in theory . 

Southampton have been doing it for years. 

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What people can’t seem to grasp is that a few seasons of mid table mediocrity is often actually in itself progression towards the ultimate goal.

Look at our trajectory in recent years:

League One mid table > League One winners > Championship relegation battle > Championship mid table > ???

Very few teams jump from relegation candidates to promotion contenders. Mid table mediocrity is usually the stepping stone.

People just can’t handle the fact that we’re currently a win one, lose one kind of team and dismiss it as “going nowhere”. Actually, it’s another step forward from where we were just a couple of seasons ago - and all the while working within a moderate budget without the benefit of parachute payments.

The lack of any broader perspective is so frustrating at times.

and don't forget where Man City were a few years ago. Like the majority of City fans I would like to see us in the Premier League one day even if we ebd up being a one season wonder, I'll at least be able to say 'Been there' However I'd rather steady progress like the Hare & The tortoise rather than end up bankrupt and/or years in the lower leagues . 

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We sell the players and reinvest in better quality ones , in theory . you mean like the last window

Southampton have been doing it for years. and its got them where...top of the prem...or no-where fast.

This plan that we are going to be some kind of super power by buying at Aldi instead of Harrods is not going to work unless we have a manager who can get us to the prem and keep us there. Do you really think LJ is the one to do that, while remembering the horrendous runs earlier this year and the year before.

IMO what we lack is what every club has had that's passed us by, a decent manager and someone to back him.

10 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

and don't forget where Man City were a few years ago. Like the majority of City fans I would like to see us in the Premier League one day even if we ebd up being a one season wonder, I'll at least be able to say 'Been there' However I'd rather steady progress like the Hare & The tortoise rather than end up bankrupt and/or years in the lower leagues . 

and don't forget where Man Utd were even more years ago, in the 2nd div with us. We are still here....where did they go

16 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

This plan that we are going to be some kind of super power by buying at Aldi instead of Harrods is not going to work unless we have a manager who can get us to the prem and keep us there. Do you really think LJ is the one to do that, while remembering the horrendous runs earlier this year and the year before.

IMO what we lack is what every club has had that's passed us by, a decent manager and someone to back him.

Who would you have as manager ?

Steve Bruce? Arsène Wenger ? Mick McCarthy ? 

20 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

So after 25 years as a season ticket holder watching about half of those seasons in the 3rd tier you think that being in the top half of the Championship, 3 points off the play offs, 5 points off there automatic promotion place and only 7 off the top spot warrants chucking in your season ticket?

I’ve done it, but I was going for nearly 40 years. I get more enjoyment watching non league football now. 

If I want to watch highlights of City games I can, plus red button games if needed, but I will be honest and say that what I have seen this season ( and a lot of last) has bored me to death. I find the majority of LJ’s football dull and mainly hopeful. In all my years of watching City I never thought one manager would spend so much on players and end up with a load of players that he just doesn’t know what to do with. 

Ashton Gate, although now a lovely ground, is just not the same for me, it’s more like a sanitised couple of hours where the majority sit in silence. 

I’ve had some amazing times in our ground and all over the country, but just don’t get any kind of buzz out of it anymore. 

City will always be my club, and I never ever thought I would feel the way I do now. But I can honestly say that I dont miss anything about going to games now, non league obviously doesn’t haven’t the quality on the pitch, but it’s a much more enjoyable experience. 

19 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Aldi is the fastest growing supermarket chain in Europe who make their money not by spending money on buying in marques but offering a limited range of quality products that carry their own brand names.

They have found their niche in the market. They wouldn't be successful if they just imitated what the competition were doing .

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’ve done it, but I was going for nearly 40 years. I get more enjoyment watching non league football now. 

If I want to watch highlights of City games I can, plus red button games if needed, but I will be honest and say that what I have seen this season ( and a lot of last) has bored me to death. I find the majority of LJ’s football dull and mainly hopeful. In all my years of watching City I never thought one manager would spend so much on players and end up with a load of players that he just doesn’t know what to do with. 

Ashton Gate, although now a lovely ground, is just not the same for me, it’s more like a sanitised couple of hours where the majority sit in silence. 

I’ve had some amazing times in our ground and all over the country, but just don’t get any kind of buzz out of it anymore. 

City will always be my club, and I never ever thought I would feel the way I do now. But I can honestly say that I dont miss anything about going to games now, non league obviously doesn’t haven’t the quality on the pitch, but it’s a much more enjoyable experience. 

Exactly same for me, been to most away old grounds, now all the same aren't they? We have a great ground apparently but LJ wont be tempting me back anytime soon.

Miss the life of the E.E and pre-match banter at some pubs that are gone now....progress is it? business rules ok.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Aldi is the fastest growing supermarket chain in Europe who make their money not by spending money on buying in marques but offering a limited range of quality products that carry their own brand names.

They have found their niche in the market. They wouldn't be successful if they just imitated what the competition were doing .

they buy and sell for peanuts and will never trouble the big boys...

27 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Miss the life of the E.E and pre-match banter at some pubs that are gone now....

It won't stop me going to Ashton Gate, but this is so true. I can understand why some people don't come any more or are thinking about stopping.  

13 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

:rofl2br:

You'll see. 

Our latest purchases of lower league strikers is not going to well... yet, will they come up to the dizzy heights of the 2 strikers we brought through then off loaded for peanuts.. Duric/Engvall who also hardly saw more than a few games, play time.

Cant wait till the Xmas window to fine tune things. 

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:03, longyears said:

You have posted five times this season, every post anti Johnson, so I expect when we undeservedly lost on Saturday you couldn't wait to get on this site, I mean all those wins must have really frustrated you.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I can watch a game that doesn't concern City but the emotion when watching my team just cannot be beaten. I couldn't stand over sanitised sport where there was nothing much at stake. Why bother ? 

I'm not talking about watching a game that doesn't involve City.  I was responding to the point that unless there's promotion or relegation at stake at every match, it's not worth watching.  I agree it gives it that special edge, but to turn your back because there's nothing at stake seems odd.  Just my opinion. 

19 hours ago, Red7 said:

It won't stop me going to Ashton Gate, but this is so true. I can understand why some people don't come any more or are thinking about stopping.  

The fact is that we are getting our highest average gates for nearly 40 years. So if fans are giving up (and that is a shame because I wouldn't want to lose any supporters) then the new fans are more than making up for them. Football has changed and won't ever be like the 1980s again but I do think people have a slightly romanticised view of the past. The other side of the early 80s was - City bottom of the 4th division, Rovers above us and top dogs in Bristol, regular violence in and out of the grounds, racist abuse at home matches, appalling facilities in many grounds, very little media coverage of City, offside traps and pass backs to the keeper, dangerous tackling from behind unpunished, pitches that were not fit for downs football. I am aware there was positives as well of course.

1 hour ago, Atlanta_Red said:

I'm not talking about watching a game that doesn't involve City.  I was responding to the point that unless there's promotion or relegation at stake at every match, it's not worth watching.  I agree it gives it that special edge, but to turn your back because there's nothing at stake seems odd.  Just my opinion. 

What seems odd to me is to have a sport where there is nothing stake ! Completely pointless unless it's an exhibition match and we all know how dull those can 

be . 

When the stakes are high the athletes and club staff work harder to get better , to innovate and move the sport to higher skill and interest levels .

Why should any one bust a gut just to show off a few fancy tricks ? 

Archived