IGNORED

Simple question...

PFree

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the Kalas front, has he regressed or something- injury related?

Because a player who in 15/16 played his part in Boro going up, 16/17 helped get Fulham into the playoffs and 17/18 helped get Fulham into the playoffs and up- started off superbly, now seems less so.

@Kid in the Riot

How do you recommend SL does this, while keeping within allowable financial parameters?

I don’t think Kalas has been as good as everyone has been saying, either.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Kalas has been as good as everyone has been saying, either.

Do you mean from the off, or after his first few games?

A player with his track record in the last few seasons, sought after as he was in the summer should be able to slot in and be the top CB at a fair few Championship sides tbh.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A player with his track record in the last few seasons, sought after as he was in the summer should be able to slot in and be the top CB at a fair few Championship sides tbh.

Very good on debut v Swansea having had to slot straight in.  Decent enough v Villa. Average to below par against Wigan where I thought he let Garner intimidate him. Poor at West Brom.  Didn’t see Sheffield Utd. Average v Blackburn. Etc. 

Not saying he’s been poor, just not as good as some people make out (imho).  Been a bit sloppy at times and think we’ve defended deeper of late - don’t know if that is down to him though  

Webster has been excellent. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very good on debut v Swansea having had to slot straight in.  Decent enough v Villa. Average to below par against Wigan where I thought he let Garner intimidate him. Poor at West Brom.  Didn’t see Sheffield Utd. Average v Blackburn. Etc. 

Not saying he’s been poor, just not as good as some people make out (imho).  Been a bit sloppy at times and think we’ve defended deeper of late - don’t know if that is down to him though  

Webster has been excellent. 

Yeah, Webster's progress has been quicker than I expected- very good to date as you say.

Would suggest a 4-3-3 would suit a lot of our players better- Kalas and Webster no exception, it opens up more passing lanes for a start, which is handy when you have 2 passing centre backs.

18 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The problem is that the 20k plus crowds will start to drop off if we keep serving up the same on the pitch as we have been recently.

After the second part of last season, I thought twice before renewing my season card. Next seasons decision will be an easier one for me unless there is significant improvement.

Whether I will continue my BCTV subscription, I'm not sure.

I think there will have to be a few ins and outs in the January window to freshen things up.

Starting with the manager

My buzz at football has always been firmly based around the whole matchday experience rather than just the football on display. 

Been following for over 30 years and the style of football / product on offer has been full of ups and downs, and I accept the fact that sometimes we’ll play well and sometimes we’ll be dull. 

For me, the day at football is about more than just the 90 minutes. Over the last few years my excitement of the day has been gradually chipped and chipped away at by the utterly ridiculous rules and regulations I am subject to as a fan in the so-say more boisterous area. 

I didn’t renew my ST this year. I’m still attending but it’s now a choice I make the day before a game rather than a pre-paid necessity. When I do attend, the overly-officious stewarding and policing in the unreserved section is enough to make me reconsider my attendance every time I go. I have not broken a single law, nor acted in any hooligan or threatening manner to anyone since I’ve been in that section and yet every week I am made to feel like a criminal and am under constant close scrutiny. It’s ridiculous. To the point of being ejected for an accusation of racism a few weeks ago, now to being told last week that where I’ve stood for the past 2 years I am no longer allowed to stand. 

I just don’t enjoy it any more. I like seeing my mates, having a beer, a chat and a laugh, but as soon as I walk toward the turnstiles and am asked to open my coat, my experience goes on a downward spiral from there. 

I also find it very difficult to motivate myself to enjoy my football experience at 1:30pm on a Sunday afternoon. 

I still love City. And I still want to watch us as much as I can. But do I actually ‘enjoy’ it any more. No. Less and less each week, sadly. 

I've been twice this season: 0-1 v Plymouth and 4-1 v Blackburn. I felt quite indifferent leaving both those games, despite the contrast in results. There's something missing for me, we lack personality as a team / club at the moment. We lost our one true personality (Flint) in the summer - no criticism of Webster though, he looks an excellent player - but there's a spark missing. No real exciting player / leader in the squad. Not inspired by Johnson as a manager, never have been. 

I miss the Cotterill team - full of characters - Wilbraham, Flint, Elliot, JET, Cunningham, Ayling... We've replaced them with a whole lot of beige. We're a nice team. 

I feel a sense of drift at the club once again - didn't kick on in January when we were on a high, crap signings, lack of any real statement of intent in the summer. Seen it all before, no killer instinct at City. 

As another poster or two alluded to, I had to look up who we were playing on Saturday, and if I hadn't read the forum today I wouldn't have realised it's Preston home this weekend - says it all for me.

@Harry Certainly far from impossible of course, that there could be instructions possibly from outside bodies to be quite strong in that area? (Talking SAG, SGSA, FLA etc).

@RedJim That would be losses of £25m we made last season- that's why we did bugger all in January (actually finances don't bear this out, but me posting that, well it fits a narrative). The reason we sold in the summer?  Because we had decided to keep in Jan to have that crack at promotion- we didn't get it and therefore we had to sell!

14 hours ago, shelts said:

I think Webster is getting better with each game and I’m impressed now he’s settled in . Kelly learning still and will make mistakes as we’ve seen , for me he has the potential to be our best ever academy player. Weimann would be a good player only from the bench or a start if desperate!!

Gutted LJ had to sell but inevitable with our mounting debts , he obviously feels we can’t play the same way as last year with the players we have at present . All the buzz from last season a distant memory. I understand as a club we are trying to become an established Championship club 

Well one thing is certain, we won’t be selling off the cream of the crop for top money like we did last season. Villa won’t be looking at us for another Striker either. The players will either stick with us or move for not team changing sums, LJ will have less of a budget and will possibly be expected to do more, as was this seasons instruction.

But let’s see what we do in Jan, focus will be on that for sure? Korey is due back February isn’t he, think we have missed him massively. But if we keep dropping points from games we should have got something from February will be far too late. 

We seem mindful that we burnt out players last season, but this season we are rotating too much perhaps. Maybe only a single change is needed from one game to the next sometimes instead we get the wholesale 3, and then another 3 subs are thrown on in desperation ( well it often looks like desperation than clever tactics to me).

We are resting players that are needing games to get going etc. Get our team right and let the opposition worry about us, especially at home where we spend the first half watching the opposition before at HT deciding how best to play them!

its not broken, but we are looking at the pieces and wondering how to fix thing together, and possibly please everyone.

2 hours ago, RedJim said:

I've been twice this season: 0-1 v Plymouth and 4-1 v Blackburn. I felt quite indifferent leaving both those games, despite the contrast in results. There's something missing for me, we lack personality as a team / club at the moment. We lost our one true personality (Flint) in the summer - no criticism of Webster though, he looks an excellent player - but there's a spark missing. No real exciting player / leader in the squad. Not inspired by Johnson as a manager, never have been. 

I miss the Cotterill team - full of characters - Wilbraham, Flint, Elliot, JET, Cunningham, Ayling... We've replaced them with a whole lot of beige. We're a nice team. 

I feel a sense of drift at the club once again - didn't kick on in January when we were on a high, crap signings, lack of any real statement of intent in the summer. Seen it all before, no killer instinct at City. 

As another poster or two alluded to, I had to look up who we were playing on Saturday, and if I hadn't read the forum today I wouldn't have realised it's Preston home this weekend - says it all for me.

I still miss Cotts

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Well one thing is certain, we won’t be selling off the cream of the crop for top money like we did last season. Villa won’t be looking at us for another Striker either. The players will either stick with us or move for not team changing sums, LJ will have less of a budget and will possibly be expected to do more, as was this seasons instruction.

But let’s see what we do in Jan, focus will be on that for sure? Korey is due back February isn’t he, think we have missed him massively. But if we keep dropping points from games we should have got something from February will be far too late. 

We seem mindful that we burnt out players last season, but this season we are rotating too much perhaps. Maybe only a single change is needed from one game to the next sometimes instead we get the wholesale 3, and then another 3 subs are thrown on in desperation ( well it often looks like desperation than clever tactics to me).

We are resting players that are needing games to get going etc. Get our team right and let the opposition worry about us, especially at home where we spend the first half watching the opposition before at HT deciding how best to play them!

its not broken, but we are looking at the pieces and wondering how to fix thing together, and possibly please everyone.

I agree with your post ?

4 hours ago, Harry said:

My buzz at football has always been firmly based around the whole matchday experience rather than just the football on display. 

Been following for over 30 years and the style of football / product on offer has been full of ups and downs, and I accept the fact that sometimes we’ll play well and sometimes we’ll be dull. 

For me, the day at football is about more than just the 90 minutes. Over the last few years my excitement of the day has been gradually chipped and chipped away at by the utterly ridiculous rules and regulations I am subject to as a fan in the so-say more boisterous area. 

I didn’t renew my ST this year. I’m still attending but it’s now a choice I make the day before a game rather than a pre-paid necessity. When I do attend, the overly-officious stewarding and policing in the unreserved section is enough to make me reconsider my attendance every time I go. I have not broken a single law, nor acted in any hooligan or threatening manner to anyone since I’ve been in that section and yet every week I am made to feel like a criminal and am under constant close scrutiny. It’s ridiculous. To the point of being ejected for an accusation of racism a few weeks ago, now to being told last week that where I’ve stood for the past 2 years I am no longer allowed to stand. 

I just don’t enjoy it any more. I like seeing my mates, having a beer, a chat and a laugh, but as soon as I walk toward the turnstiles and am asked to open my coat, my experience goes on a downward spiral from there. 

I also find it very difficult to motivate myself to enjoy my football experience at 1:30pm on a Sunday afternoon. 

I still love City. And I still want to watch us as much as I can. But do I actually ‘enjoy’ it any more. No. Less and less each week, sadly. 

It's a strange comment but I take a great deal away from the fact I am not alone, the thread wasn't created to develop negativity, more a sense of realism - I'll keep going and hope that buzz gets better but I'm not expecting too much...

4 hours ago, Sturny said:

I just feel sometimes we lack some personalities on the pitch 

What do you mean? You want Noel Edmunds hosting a family quiz out on the left wing, whilst Alan Carr is doing an impression of Rod Stewart at centre half? 

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looks like Lees magic has made him look less impressive after a fantastic first game at Swansea probably our tactics over coaching 

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:24, Rossi the Robin said:

I am a ST holder and missed more home games than I have attended this season

The drivel and usual tombola being served up most weeks isnt worth the traffic and parking issues 

I could have written that, sums the whole thing up perfectly for me. Matchday feels flatter than the pitta breads I'm watching on TV now! 

Archived