IGNORED

Lansdowns play thing

BigAl&Toby

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's your point exactly?

The churn factor and departures meant a frustrating season was always a distinct possibility. Expected midtableish with a lot of ups and downs.

My point is ,we are being feed spin by the club week after week.but now fans are beginning to see though the bull there being feed.we have the richest owners we have ever had (Lansdown and son circa 2billion)and we are meant to be happy with mid table.like I said before ambition my ass

3 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

My point is ,we are being feed spin by the club week after week.but now fans are beginning to see though the bull there being feed.we have the richest owners we have ever had (Lansdown and son circa 2billion)and we are meant to be happy with mid table.like I said before ambition my ass

The sales were financially necessary- I won't go on about it again but some good reading maybe the City accounts, Kieran Maguire's analysis of them and the FFP regs.

The rich owner thing- the thing about that is certain investment is seen as 'good' and certain other types not. Examples of unlimited investment allowed by owners includes but not limited to, Stadia development, academy, community etc. Going and splurging on wages and finances go hang isn't a viable choice anymore.

I have a suggestion though. If- and I don't know if it is or isn't classed as such- but if for example building up a scouting network is seen as 'good' investment and exempt, then SL should look here or abroad and look to buy the scouting network of a side who are good at this model- they do exist and I feel it would be a wise choice.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What should he do differently then? To put it another way, what would YOU do differently bearing in mind financial regs? Get rid of LJ would clearly be top of your list but anymore?

@BCFC Grim 2008 I'll grant you though there is an argument that bringing in Adebola moved us away a bit from our excellent 4-4-1-1 with Noble as the '1' however Adebola did us well, but we could have taken a bigger risk.

Season just gone, have you analysed the accounts and financial regs when putting your views about Jan 2018? Totally different context- admittedly we should have made better suited signings than Kent and Diony in particular- but an alternate strategy would be interesting to hear.

Simples.

Last season we were on the brink. Second with points in hand over others who then finished above us. Finishing above us seems to happen a lot.

We were on a superb cup run. We were beating PL opposition and took Man City close.

We had national interest. Christ we were even mentioned on the Today programme on R4.

We had a strong squad with players who, with some additions could have progressed.

What did we do? We fell apart. What’s worse though is others didn’t. They invested and progressed.

What did we do? We cashed in. Rather than invest we allowed our better players to have their heads turned and then we sold them. And we “go again”. We buy on the cheap, let transfer revenue go elsewhere and end up with the shower of shit we now see more and more.

Lansdown has invested in the infrastructure of Ashton Gate. I don’t dispute that. That might be to create a sustainable future - but I really do doubt that’s for the benefit of BCFC. 

He’s hedged his bets. He’s not put all his eggs in the BCFC basket. He’ll “make Bristol proud” in a number of other way.

Be that rugby, basketball, football or pop concerts.

All I’m interested in is BCFC. And I don’t think Lansdown and I share that common interest.

8 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Thanks Badger.

Let’s go back to 2002. When Lansdown took over from Laycock.

Swansea finish 4th from bottom of 3rd Division.

Bournemouth are promoted through the play offs.

Cardiff and Wigan are promoted from 2nd Division.

Brighton are relegated.

Burnley, Palace and Watford finish mid table in the 1st. 

Leicester finish 2nd and are promoted.

All are or have been in the Premier League. BCFC? We’ve yo yoed. Up and down. Moments of brilliance overshadowed by showers of shit.

But hey. We’ve got Little Lee. I’m starting to think I’d rather have Colin. We’ve got a shiny stadium with a hotel on the horizon.

Zippidee ******* doo dah.

Another side of your story 2002

Charlton Sunderland Bolton Ipswich were all in prem 

Wimbledon Coventry Bradford Portsmouth Walsaw Grimsby Crewe Barnsley and Stockport!!!! All in championship

Wouldnt swap places with them

Steve will spend money on the ground, he will spend it on the training ground and the new development.  All those are investments which will hopefully bring him a return or a return for Bristol Sport.

However, chucking money at the playing side is a different matter.  You can throw hundreds of millions into that and still end up not getting promoted - how many times have we seen that?

He is right to say that this side of the club must become self sustaining and will need to get promoted on its own merits. I know that might be frusrating in the short term, but isn't it better to have a club which will continue to exist in the future than one that spends big then goes bust?

49 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Simples.

Last season we were on the brink. Second with points in hand over others who then finished above us. Finishing above us seems to happen a lot.

We were on a superb cup run. We were beating PL opposition and took Man City close.

We had national interest. Christ we were even mentioned on the Today programme on R4.

We had a strong squad with players who, with some additions could have progressed.

What did we do? We fell apart. What’s worse though is others didn’t. They invested and progressed.

What did we do? We cashed in. Rather than invest we allowed our better players to have their heads turned and then we sold them. And we “go again”. We buy on the cheap, let transfer revenue go elsewhere and end up with the shower of shit we now see more and more.

Lansdown has invested in the infrastructure of Ashton Gate. I don’t dispute that. That might be to create a sustainable future - but I really do doubt that’s for the benefit of BCFC. 

He’s hedged his bets. He’s not put all his eggs in the BCFC basket. He’ll “make Bristol proud” in a number of other way.

All I’m interested in is BCFC. And I don’t think Lansdown and I share that common interest.

Might I suggest you look at the Accounts, FFP Championship regs and most of all Kieran Maguire's great analysis of our position?

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Simples.

You seem too bothered with City being in the Premier league.  It seems that if SL isn't personally funding City with a guaranteed way to reach the top tier, then you are not happy with him.

I am gobsmacked that any City fan can have anything of the highest praise for SL.  I see him as a God amongst men; he doesn't have to invest a penny into City.  We could be a lower league one club with the old, antiquated Ashton Gate Stadium, yet you bemoan what he does for City?  I am shocked that you would feel this way.

City are in the Championship, we have lost 2 games on the bounce and yes we played pretty crap - but that does not mean the club is a plaything for Stephen Lansdown.  I don't expect to change your view, you won't change mine, but your take on things really does baffle me!

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

You seem too bothered with City being in the Premier league.  It seems that if SL isn't personally funding City with a guaranteed way to reach the top tier, then you are not happy with him.

I am gobsmacked that any City fan can have anything of the highest praise for SL.  I see him as a God amongst men; he doesn't have to invest a penny into City.  We could be a lower league one club with the old, antiquated Ashton Gate Stadium, yet you bemoan what he does for City?  I am shocked that you would feel this way.

City are in the Championship, we have lost 2 games on the bounce and yes we played pretty crap - but that does not mean the club is a plaything for Stephen Lansdown.  I don't expect to change your view, you won't change mine, but your take on things really does baffle me!

3, but I know what you mean about SL

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You're spot on what you say about Lansdown. I'm with you 100 percent

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I thought you must have had one to many after the game when posting this but I’m begining to think your serious!!

I question whether the OP and the like would prefer City had the same sort of ownership as the Gas has enjoyed since the early 2000's.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

After sixty eight years supporting City, that's how I am feeling.

I don't care which league we are in, I'd prefer higher than lower, but I became a football and rugby fan because I loved the buzz of the game.

Johnson is killing that buzz, so maybe time to sit in the Rocking chair til I die.

Don't give up mate, the club needs you. It is depressing as we can all see what's blatantly obvious. Johnson won't a manager make, while ass has a hole in it.

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Let's say Lansdown does sell up. 

We are bought by a foreign owner, who puts a lot of money into the squad and gets us up. After a couple of years in the prem we come back down again, he gets bored and stops investing. Slowly but surely we begin to slip back down the table and end up fighting relegation until the owners sell up, with crowds down to 12k and the club in financial turmoil. 

Exactly the sort of thing that has happened with Blackburn, Coventry, Hull, Charlton, Portsmouth, Reading etc

Unfortunately I think some fans would happily take that situation just so we can have a couple of years in the premiership 

why do you have to be so pessimistic, who's to say that once we are in the premier league we wont stay there, why assume we will automatically fail.

36 minutes ago, pillred said:

why do you have to be so pessimistic, who's to say that once we are in the premier league we wont stay there, why assume we will automatically fail.

Bristolians - it's what we do.

Archived