IGNORED

radio bristol wanna know your first Bristol City match

Never to the dark side

The 1-6 v Wolves. Mascot fight I was young- that may have been what kept me- had it been a dull 0-0 probably wouldn't be moaning about LJ on here.

First half season, Benny relegation. A year later Pulis...

20 years or so on? Taken as a whole, it's not been dull, can definitely say that! Frustrating? Absolutely. Dull nothingness- not much at all.

I was 12 and went with some school mates and their dad. Spent the time messing around as boys do and can’t remember anything about the game (not even the opposition) apart from the exciting atmosphere. Went back the following home game and was hooked.

It was years later that I looked it up and the game was a 0-0 draw........versus Oxford.

20th April 1976, Bristol City 1 Portsmouth 0. Clive Whitehead scored an early goal. There was nearly 28,000 (officially) in AG. Long nerve jangling 2nd half waiting for the whistle to blow!

Final whistle went, we were promoted to Div 1. I was sat in Dolman B Block with my dad as an excited 11 year old. Remember the noise, singing, cigar smoke billowing out the roof of the East End, huge excitement, mass pitch invasion,  Div1 here we come. Bristol City were going to be playing in Division 1 against the top dogs.

28,000 fans went beserk that night when the final whistle blew, there was a huge pitch invasion and City management and players as one took their bow in the directors' box of the Grandstand to the many many 1000s on the pitch and in the stands around the ground. Alan Dicks ended up all over the front pages off the tabloids. Wurzels songs bellowing out the tannoy. Everyone happy and loving there football.

And now we have the current crap in 2018 FFS!!

The new generation of Bristol Sport should always remember the roots, history and culture of our club!

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I don't remember much but my next was wolves which we won 2-1 so that was a rare sight, Steve bull with theirs so no surprise! 

I took my bird at the time to that Boro game and sat in the Grandstand, it was still called that then pretty sure...I was so embarrassed by how crap it was I never forgot it!!!!

Archived