IGNORED

Next Five - how many points?

Super

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Yawn

Instead of being so pessimistic, why not accept that our form over the last few games rarely acts as a guide to what’s ahead? We are the definition of inconsistent, so I never assume that a few defeats mean that we are on the slide. Win a few, lose a few, end up mid table - which is what most of us expected at the start of the season.

38 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Instead of being so pessimistic, why not accept that our form over the last few games rarely acts as a guide to what’s ahead? We are the definition of inconsistent, so I never assume that a few defeats mean that we are on the slide. Win a few, lose a few, end up mid table - which is what most of us expected at the start of the season.

Its the fact that he bangs on about the same rubbish after every game. Funny that he didnt make any predictions himself. Our form has been decent in recent weeks.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Its the fact that he bangs on about the same rubbish after every game. Funny that he didnt make any predictions himself. Our form has been decent in recent weeks.

Keep your predictions coming mate. You're obviously having some kind of influence on our results.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Don't be that guy, there's one after every result on either side of the LJ debate digging something up 

I realise that's the case, but it is hard not to be thinking of our so called fan from Bicester tonight, he must be fuming. I say that, we of course will never know because he posts **** All when we get any decent results.

Well done LJ. Credit where its due, and not many predicted this return of points from these games

The praise is deserved

BUT..

A message to the "I told all you moaners so..." type messages.

The next two home games are against poor sides (yes Brentford won today) and they have to be won IMO or we have still got some major question marks hanging over where we are.

Well done Lee, well done young man. Credit to you

COYR and down those drinks City fans everywhere

Looking forward to Boxing day

PS Of course, I'm sooo devastated tonight

3 hours ago, keynshamred said:

Why shouldn't I, the Johnson out brigade are quick to comment and have a pop at Johnson when we lose. Well the last 5 results have shown what he and the team are about. Win the next two now and we're looking at the top 6 again. The bloke is doing a top job and the sooner people realise it the better. 

Maybe because history has a funny way of slapping people in the face after making these sort of comments? 

I'm personally happy with the way things have been going recently and also kind of expected our poor start considering the players we lost pre-season and having to bed in new players, but this is Bristol City, and after almost 40 years of following us, disappointment is almost guaranteed at some point. 

Its the joys of following a lower league team. But it just makes the highs that much better when they do eventually roll around.

The recent run of decent results indicate that LJ has got the team playing in the way he wants and the fact that today’s line up was unchanged from the Norwich game suggests he found the players he can rely on. Injuries excluded, I can see the same line up on Boxing Day.

He mentioned post match about ‘rest’ so I imagine the training  will be light with only 72 hrs between the next two games.  As we all know the Xmas period is always a demanding spell of fixtures.

3 hours ago, Super said:

You really are a silly *****! Just admit you were wrong, or even that you are pleasantly surprised by our recent results, and move on!

COYR.

6 hours ago, keynshamred said:

I look back and laugh at the turn around in people views of Johnson after different results. I've believed in him from day one and I'm telling you this manager Lee Johnson is going far in the game. If city fans are patient and let him it will be with us!! 

You just made me chuckle.

”I’ve believed in him since day one”.  That’s great.....”and I’m telling you this manager Lee Johnson is going far in the game”.  Sounds like Kevin Keegan’s “I’d love it....” speech. ?

But to me it sounds like you’ve invested all your hope that LJ is the man, and because of that, woe betide anyway who dares to critique anything he does or says.  Just because some of us do, doesn’t make us haters.  Just because we’ve given praise, doesn’t mean we’ve seen the light either.  It ain’t black and white.

Your pride is at stake isn’t it?  If he did fail, you’d take a fall wouldn’t you?  I hope he doesn’t fail, the longer he stays, the likelihood is that he’s doing well....but of course there is a fine line between this and outstaying your time.

In my opinion, He is doing a decent job overall.  But when he gets things wrong, you’re gonna read negative stuff on here.  When he gets it right, you’ll read positive stuff.  It won’t always be fair in proportion.  But why don’t you post constructively and challenge the view properly instead of childish posts.

Today was a positive result and performance.  But even within that there is room for criticism (and praise too)....I’m sure Lee himself is.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist (the criticism) to know that Keogh is dodgy under pressure and Huddlestone will run the game if you allow him....but it took a tactical change (the praise) from LJ to get Paterson around Huddlestone, and also help Diedhiou press Keogh and Tomori.  

Shouldn’t the instruction have been what we saw from minute 21 onwards?

Thoughts?

Or am I just part of Bob’s Cult? ?

We are now unbeaten in five games. The team is a unit and every player have worked hard. Next games is Brentford and Rotherham at home. Those teams will probably play very defensive, let us have the ball. The teams know how to play at the gate. If we should win those games we have to have patient If we dont score early in the game. Odowda and Eliasson on the flanks I want to see. On paper our next two games looks easy but in reality I think that its gonna be difficault. The key, as I see it, is that we have to move ball and players quickly. Its easy for the opponents If we play the ball backwards and side to side in midfield. Their defence then will be well organised and only sittning and wait for us and then counterattack. Seen that often when we played teams who are low in the table. It will be very interesting how we will solve the problems with teams who sit deep. Looking forward, COYR!!!

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You just made me chuckle.

”I’ve believed in him since day one”.  That’s great.....”and I’m telling you this manager Lee Johnson is going far in the game”.  Sounds like Kevin Keegan’s “I’d love it....” speech. ?

But to me it sounds like you’ve invested all your hope that LJ is the man, and because of that, woe betide anyway who dares to critique anything he does or says.  Just because some of us do, doesn’t make us haters.  Just because we’ve given praise, doesn’t mean we’ve seen the light either.  It ain’t black and white.

Your pride is at stake isn’t it?  If he did fail, you’d take a fall wouldn’t you?  I hope he doesn’t fail, the longer he stays, the likelihood is that he’s doing well....but of course there is a fine line between this and outstaying your time.

In my opinion, He is doing a decent job overall.  But when he gets things wrong, you’re gonna read negative stuff on here.  When he gets it right, you’ll read positive stuff.  It won’t always be fair in proportion.  But why don’t you post constructively and challenge the view properly instead of childish posts.

Today was a positive result and performance.  But even within that there is room for criticism (and praise too)....I’m sure Lee himself is.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist (the criticism) to know that Keogh is dodgy under pressure and Huddlestone will run the game if you allow him....but it took a tactical change (the praise) from LJ to get Paterson around Huddlestone, and also help Diedhiou press Keogh and Tomori.  

Shouldn’t the instruction have been what we saw from minute 21 onwards?

Thoughts?

Or am I just part of Bob’s Cult? ?

Your saying he is doing a decent job. Were you saying this 5 games ago when we were losing games? This is what does my head in on this forum. Its up and down on form. 

Any manager in this league would have a slow start if they sold there 3 best players and replaced them with alot less value!!  

4 or more pts from the next two puts us back in a very good position and looking up at the top, 6. But if 75% of the fans on here had there way Johnson wouldn't have been here now 5 games ago. Fair play to Lansdown by sticking with the man. 

You never hear Johnson talk about the horrendous injuries we've had the last two years.And I'm talking the long term ones in which it takes players along time to get up to match fitness. I said 5/6 weeks ago our form and results will change when we have players back. 

O'dowda is a class act and makes us a much better team. Not many in our team that will carry the ball and take it to the opposition. We've missed him bigtime! Fammy first 6 as well and has taken him time to get up to speed.  

The Johnsons over the last 30 years  have given us some good times, best finishes and the closest we have ever got to the premier league. Some want to swap this for a risk of yet a new manager who will prob take us backwards yet again!! 

These are my thoughts and why I will always back this young and well thought of manager! 

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Five tough games unbeaten, and if we can get at least four points from the next two home games I'd say that's evidence that there is still a cohesive method and spirit at the club.

2 of the 5 are in the relegation zone, so five tough is a bit of an exaggeration .

The last 3 have been tough so a good run nonetheless and credit where its due

1 hour ago, keynshamred said:

Your saying he is doing a decent job. Were you saying this 5 games ago when we were losing games?

5 games ago I was pretty angry with the players, I even tweeted Twentyman saying that it’s performances like that by players that get managers sacked.  ‘Overall’ (decent job overall) was my key word.  I still think he has flaws alongside his good things.  I’ve posted at length about lack of an experienced football man to go-to, other than his dad.  I think someone in the vein of a Lenny Lawrence (not Lenny - he’s gas linked) would help smooth out those flaws and add to his strengths.  But on the flip side I don’t Lee thinks he needs one!

This is what does my head in on this forum. Its up and down on form. 

I don’t think it’s as up and down as you make out is the grand scheme of things, there has been quite a bit of patience, especially in certain defeats, Brom and Stoke for example.  But there are a small number of extremists on here (on either side of the LJ fence).  It’s a bit like Tinder (I'm lead to believe) - you just swipe on by.

Any manager in this league would have a slow start if they sold there 3 best players and replaced them with alot less value!! 

I think I coined the phrase ‘slow burner’ at the start of the season.  I thought we’d have more draws (up until our recent run).  The big challenge now that we are sat with p23 w8 d7 l8, is how we up the heat to push to the fringes of the play-offs.  That is gonna be very tough.  Based on last season’s position of 11th, would 12th be progress? 

4 or more pts from the next two puts us back in a very good position and looking up at the top, 6. But if 75% of the fans on here had there way Johnson wouldn't have been here now 5 games ago. Fair play to Lansdown by sticking with the man. 

I don’t necessarily agree, some did I accept.  I think a lot were keen to see “what happened next”.  It’s why predicting the results of the next 5 fixtures is pretty futile, but it’s a forum, so we will have “fun” (?) adding are two pennuth.  We were at a fairly pivotal point 5 games ago.  Had we lost of 5, especially the one v Millwall that would’ve left us on the cusp of the relegation zone and Millwall a big confidence boost.  It hasn’t happened, we secured 9 great points.

You never hear Johnson talk about the horrendous injuries we've had the last two years.

You do and he has!!  What he hasn’t done is use it as a huge excuse, but he has used it.

And I'm talking the long term ones in which it takes players along time to get up to match fitness. I said 5/6 weeks ago our form and results will change when we have players back. 

The only players who’ve really come into the side is O’Dowda, who has come to the fore in recent games (see more below) and Pisano....who has had niggles all season.  With Hunt being ok, LJ has had the players at his disposal, but a combination of selections, formation etc has meant disappointment (overall) up to now.  He has found a 4141/4411 formation that suits the players.  I don’t believe injuries stopped Lee picking that earlier this season.

O'dowda is a class act and makes us a much better team. Not many in our team that will carry the ball and take it to the opposition.

COD is an interesting one.  He’s had 2 1/2 good games on the trot since his return. In the opening 12 games of the season he completed 90 minutes once.  His form was patchy, and whilst I’m really pleased with this latest batch of form, which is definitely influencing our performance and results, the thing holding me back is that two of the three (Norwich and Derby) were against teams that play on the front foot and allow space.  Brum do too, but in a different way.  I will be watching very closely against Rotherham (Brentford too if I can find a stream) to see whether a team that plays tightly will offer the same space for COD to roam in.

We've missed him bigtime! Fammy first 6 as well and has taken him time to get up to speed.  

This is disappointing from my perspective.  He wasn’t coming back from injury, all he would be missing was match-fitness.  He certainly looked fine coming on against Blackburn.  I don’t know why this was a problem....other than the recent change of style helping him.  I do think he wasn’t at full-tilt, and that was down to him.  Fair play to LJ he seems to have had the right word in Fam’s ear to get that spark back.  I’m a Fam fan....I watched him a fair bit at SCO Angers and was pleased we signed him.

The Johnsons over the last 30 years  have given us some good times, best finishes and the closest we have ever got to the premier league. Some want to swap this for a risk of yet a new manager who will prob take us backwards yet again!! 

That’s a strange one.  Does that mean we need to wait for another Johnson to come along before we can change manager?  I think we have to separate their tenureships.

These are my thoughts and why I will always back this young and well thought of manager! 

I too, like a lot will back him.  Although this isn’t a good reason, the cost of replacing the manager is high, not just compensation to pay him off, but to pay to bring someone in, their back room staff and ultimately the player churn that goes with it.  I like him, you could tell yesterday that he was in control, confident, none of those little ear scratches or looks away from the camera when he spins things.

SL is saying he wants top 6.  I think this is mindful of MA’s comment this time last year.  He’s set everyone a challenge, rather than MA who gave the team an excuse.

Thanks for the reply.

Five points from the last 3 games is five more than I was expecting so really pleased with that. We also have played much more attractive football which is another plus. Well done LJ as I really didn't see that coming.

As others have said, the real test now is to get 4+ points in our next two games. If we struggle against defensive teams like we usually have recently, we could end up not many points ahead of expectations by the new year after all.

Let's hope we get an early goal in those games as that could make all the difference. 

On 23/12/2018 at 11:21, mozo said:

Five tough games unbeaten, and if we can get at least four points from the next two home games I'd say that's evidence that there is still a cohesive method and spirit at the club.

You called it.

9 points from the five games, and unbeaten in seven.

On 23/12/2018 at 09:51, keynshamred said:

The Johnsons over the last 30 years  have given us some good times, best finishes and the closest we have ever got to the premier league....

Norwich sold their best players before this season...including Maddison...they didn’t make a slow start...

....and how long do you think the Johnsons have been associated with Bristol City? “30 years”????!!!!! You think GJ joined us in 1988????!!!!!!

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Stoke, Florest and Boro away in Jan, but we seem to do better against bigger teams away and aren't we Boro's bogey team?

I don't want to tempt fate at all, but we might do alright in these games and here's why.

These 3 sides are either a touch reactive themselves or have reactive managers- in their own way Pulis, Karanka and Rowett are fairly reactive managers. If we get them frustrated we can capitalise on their mistake- those 3 games have similarities to Birmingham away IMO tactically, stylistically.

3 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Stoke, Florest and Boro away in Jan, but we seem to do better against bigger teams away and aren't we Boro's bogey team?

It`s unlikely we`ll play Boro on the scheduled date as it`s 4th round cup day. Even if we get knocked out by Huddersfield I`ll be surprised if they don`t beat Posh at home.

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

If the rumours are true - Win at Stoke on Tuesday and Rowett will be gone and the same could then be said for Karanka on the 19th Jan.....let’s hope we can pile the pressure on those two managers!!!

COYRs

And then Pulis on the 26th for the hat-trick, they're only 7 points shead of us with all that money spent, what a start to the year that would be...

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Norwich sold their best players before this season...including Maddison...they didn’t make a slow start...

....and how long do you think the Johnsons have been associated with Bristol City? “30 years”????!!!!! You think GJ joined us in 1988????!!!!!!

Norwich, Sheff utd they lost good or best players. The argument is a non-starter for me, because in football you just get on with it because it's always happened and always will. Good call BS4

I’m not saying that everything is perfect, but now we have a points tally that exceeds everyone’s (I think) predictions from the last 5 games, can we all just get behind the team and management and be a bit more supportive..? 

We will have a losing run again soon. It’s what we do, but we are comfortably mid table, won more games than we’ve lost and are closer to the top 6 than the bottom 4. 

I think most of us would have been satisfied with that at the start of August..?! 

Archived