IGNORED

Baker

leadman

Yeah, played well. Has come in for some criticism this season, but for me a good player. When you think how good Webster has been, then to take that out against a top top team & it seemingly didn’t affect us, bodes well for the future. Have we ever had such good competition for centre half? COYR 

LJ has done well to create a solid back four and with cover in every position. Baker stepped in superbly for the injured Webster.

Kelly/Dasilva at LB. Kalas/Baker/Webster/Wright or Kelly at CB, Pisano/Hunt at RB. 

All four full backs can and do bomb forward to create crosses. 

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Still one of the best centre halves in this division on his day. Still find it strange how he seems to have stalled and gone a bit backwards since joining us 

“Stalled and gone a bit backwards?”  What do mean by that?  :dunno: 

He was a fringe player at Villa, so much so he was allowed out on loan and familiar with not being first choice - that’s what competition for places means.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ has done well to create a solid back four and with cover in every position. Baker stepped in superbly for the injured Webster.

Kelly/Dasilva at LB. Kalas/Baker/Webster/Wright or Kelly at CB, Pisano/Hunt at RB. 

All four full backs can and do bomb forward to create crosses. 

Where is Dasilva?! No mention about injury at all?!

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He played about 70 times in the Premier League at Aston Villa, now he is back up in the Championship at midtable Bristol City - something like that?

He was sent out on loan to relegation battling Bristol City during Villas last season in the Premier League, he signed for us and we finished mid table, and we're looking a mid table side again.

If your argument is "his career has taken a backwards step overall" then perhaps, but if your argument is "he has regressed since joining City" then there is nothing to back that up.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

He was sent out on loan to relegation battling Bristol City during Villas last season in the Premier League, he signed for us and we finished mid table, and we're looking a mid table side again.

If your argument is "his career has taken a backwards step overall" then perhaps, but if your argument is "he has regressed since joining City" then there is nothing to back that up.

This season he has played nowhere near like the player we had on loan or start of last season.  The red card at QPR seemed to be pivotal.  The second half of last season was a regression from the firm we’d seen beforehand.  This season has been mixed.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This season he has played nowhere near like the player we had on loan or start of last season.  The red card at QPR seemed to be pivotal.  The second half of last season was a regression from the firm we’d seen beforehand.  This season has been mixed.

That's fair actually

There was nothing in the original claim that backed up Baker going backwards since joining City- his games at Villa which were mentioned, are irrelevant to it.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was the former (and there is no "perhaps" about that) although, having arrived here as an injection of quality to improve our faltering and slightly "green" just-up-from-L1 defenders, and an automatic choice, he now finds himself second fiddle, which might be some "thing" to "back up" the latter. 

Yeah, better than he has been for a while.

Our CBs stylistically complement each other well. Webster likes to bring it forward, Wright is solid, Kalas has a mix of attributes (most interceptions yesterday according to Bristol Post) and Baker while not the best on the ball has experience at this level and ability. That's before we even consider Kelly and whether he's best at CB or LB moving forward.

17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

When we think that 5 years ago our starting centre backs were Fontaine and Nyatanga, having Baker as our third choice shows we have recruited far better in this position during recent years. 

With foster and mcgivern as full backs too........ I'm shuddering just thinking back to that time......

While we've spent (relatively) big on Baker and Webster, it does beggar the question where do the likes of Zach Vyner, Taylor Moore etc get an opportunity with those 2, Kalas and Bailey Wright already ahead of them. Even Eros can play there plus Lloyd Kelly will probably end up at centre half. 

We looked solid yesterday, even if Lloyd didn't have the greatest game by his high standards IMHO.

Kalas is off in the summer, Vyner is I think after a poor start developing reasonably at Rotherham and Taylor Moore?

Just dunno if he will make it, do we- maybe Moore and Vyner will replace Pisano and Kalas?

Next season it's possible to see a defensive lineup of:

Hunt, Vyner, Webster, Baker, Wright, Moore, Kelly.

Thinking of that Da Silva will be off too won't he- back to Chelsea. Have I missed anyone?

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He played about 70 times in the Premier League at Aston Villa, now he is back up in the Championship at midtable Bristol City - something like that?

Baker was out of favour at Villa and having been on loan at City accepted the offer to join us. Therefore if you see his career as ‘stalling’ then that’s down to him.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

“Stalled and gone a bit backwards?”  What do mean by that?  :dunno: 

It means he has not continued to impress, and if anything his performances have dropped off, it's not rocket science.

He was a fringe player at Villa, so much so he was allowed out on loan and familiar with not being first choice - that’s what competition for places means.

If he was a fringe player he wouldn't have been challenging for a place, and after his successful loan with us a few of their fans were annoyed they let him go. That's not competition for places either.
After his loan, which was pretty good, his next spell here or most of it was outstanding. He was our best defender up until Flint left. Recently he's not bee so good ( *stalled and gone a bit backwards*) and Webster and Kalas have deservedly started in front of him.

Hope that helps.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Baker was out of favour at Villa and having been on loan at City accepted the offer to join us. Therefore if you see his career as ‘stalling’ then that’s down to him.

I agree, my guess is it is primarily down to "Bakes" himself. 

Also, I replied to you on this thread without reading the post you were replying to, so I was missing your point there, mostly. Oh well, all the fun of the forum....

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Kalas is off in the summer, Vyner is I think after a poor start developing reasonably at Rotherham and Taylor Moore?

Just dunno if he will make it, do we- maybe Moore and Vyner will replace Pisano and Kalas?

Thinking of that Da Silva will be off too won't he- back to Chelsea. Have I missed anyone?

Is Eros out of contract? personally, I would like to see him stay. 

I've got a horrible feeling Lloyd won't be with us this time next year either. :(

Can we expect the likes of Cameron Pring and Aden Baldwin to make the leap into the first team squad?

Your list is quite concerning as there's a decent back 4 there but next to nothing backing it up, particularly at left back. 

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is Eros out of contract? personally, I would like to see him stay. 

I've got a horrible feeling Lloyd won't be with us this time next year either. :(

Can we expect the likes of Cameron Pring and Aden Baldwin to make the leap into the first team squad?

Your list is quite concerning as there's a decent back 4 there but next to nothing backing it up, particularly at left back. 

I believe he (Pisano) is out of contract in the summer- like you, wouldn't mind keeping him.

Agree on that, the backup isn't there- think if Vyner continues developing then maybe he could slot in over time.

Wright is also out of contract but we have a year option on him- that list I wrote assumes we'll take that, if not we could be really quite thin on the ground. Also maybe wishful thinking on Kelly by me but I think it'll be good for his development if he has at least another full season here.

If the plan is to fill the defensive slots with youth as first reserve- ie Pring and Baldwin- then with the exception of Vyner I'd worry. He has worked his way up the divisions at Accrington, Plymouth then Rotherham- League 2, League 1 and Championship so he's best placed at this time IMO.

I was a bit nervous seeing Baker in for Webster, but he had a sound game.

He's not the classiest of distributors of the ball, but he didn't do anything silly and he made one absolutely excellent tackle when their man (Cantwell, I think) was otherwise clear through.

I too was apprehensive as I didn't know Webster was injured

Thought Baker was very strong against clever forwards who made the best runs down channels I have seen this season

Agree recruitment of this new back 5 is outstanding and the development /rotation of the subs in each position is further evidence of Lj's rotation/tactical/management skills. 

Others like MA and coaching staff also dermserve huge recognition and any myths about Lj not being a top class Championship Manager are now behind us. 

Bring on Derby, let's hope our away support doesn't embarrass us again and that we can sell out for such an easy trip. 

Something happened early on in the first half that I don't think I have seen since the days of Norman Hunter. There was a loose (ish) ball in the middle of the pitch and their player looked favourite to win it, until he saw Bakes flying across from his right and he stopped dead in his tracks allowing him to take it easily. 

• The title was changed to Baker
18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pring?

Archived