IGNORED

Lee Johnson Post Match

BobBobSuperBob

58 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

What was interesting on the RB interview was that he was asked about January recruitment plans/progres and he said ( paraphrasing): 

It's right for me to focus on the team and maintaining our run and not lose focus ....the recruitment team, Mark Ashton ...I look forward to what they present to me rather than me leading....

What do we make of that?

Whatever our "agenda" dictates....

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Appeared a bit ‘edgy’’ (for him )

Feeling the pressure a tad ?

Probably been reading their forum and the " if we can't beat Bristol " comments.

Waiting for his owner/chairman to tell him the same thing! :)

40 minutes ago, Big C said:

So on one hand you say we are playing better now that he has kept a settled side but then go on to say he should change the team and formation!

The beauty of managing the team from the safety of a computer keyboard!

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

What was interesting on the RB interview was that he was asked about January recruitment plans/progres and he said ( paraphrasing): 

It's right for me to focus on the team and maintaining our run and not lose focus ....the recruitment team, Mark Ashton ...I look forward to what they present to me rather than me leading....

What do we make of that?

Spin. Actually, not sure it's any different from what we already know - he let's the recruitment team know what he needs, they go away and draw up a list of potential targets, present them to him, he probably rates them 1-2-3 or whatever, then MA goes away to try and get the deals done, if no.1 choice doesn't work out he starts on no.2, repeat until all the required positions are filled.

I only heard the last thirty minutes on Radio B and haven't listened yet to the after match LJ comments.

I believe that BobBob and myself with others have been quite vociferous in our dissatisfaction with LJ and his boom & bust runs. And the fear that the latest one could drag us down to the cesspit of the Championship.

I wanted a season of mid table security, so we could give some of our most promising Academy lads a taster and a tester. That, apart from LK and MO'L hasn't happened yet.

However, at the 23 game stage, the ideal sequence of WDL has been achieved. All we need now is our first home win since early September to make me a lot more relaxed about the progression of our club.

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Spin. Actually, not sure it's any different from what we already know - he let's the recruitment team know what he needs, they go away and draw up a list of potential targets, present them to him, he probably rates them 1-2-3 or whatever, then MA goes away to try and get the deals done, if no.1 choice doesn't work out he starts on no.2, repeat until all the required positions are filled.

Yes, but he implied "something" has changed for this window.....that's the point. 

If you were cynical you might conclude that - given the universal condemnation of last January's recruitment (Diony Kent etc) ........he's just getting it out there that if this January's signings turn out to be equally bad - it's MA's fault not mine.

Of course if the window turns out to be a success .......he'll be taking all the credit !

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

Fair play BBSB.

As you have often came across as one of LJ's more vociferous detractors, it's good to see/hear (On a forum no idea which) you give praise when it's due. Always pleases me when somebody is prepared to give good (and bad) comments whenever they are merited and not just stick to their favoured agenda. 

Please don't take this as a dig mate, it certainly isn't meant to be.

No probs 

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I only heard the last thirty minutes on Radio B and haven't listened yet to the after match LJ comments.

I believe that BobBob and myself with others have been quite vociferous in our dissatisfaction with LJ and his boom & bust runs. And the fear that the latest one could drag us down to the cesspit of the Championship.

I wanted a season of mid table security, so we could give some of our most promising Academy lads a taster and a tester. That, apart from LK and MO'L hasn't happened yet.

However, at the 23 game stage, the ideal sequence of WDL has been achieved. All we need now is our first home win since early September to make me a lot more relaxed about the progression of our club.

Ironically - I think there’s been far more vocal and brutal vociferous than us

Makes me chuckle how much is aimed my way :yes:

If I see credit due , with LJ or anyone else , I’ll say so and say it as I see

Same for any concerns or criticisms 

You’re  never far away from being wrong about football, whatever your views, opinions ,  or stance 

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Yes, but he implied "something" has changed for this window.....that's the point. 

If you were cynical you might conclude that - given the universal condemnation of last January's recruitment (Diony Kent etc) ........he's just getting it out there that if this January's signings turn out to be equally bad - it's MA's fault not mine.

Of course if the window turns out to be a success .......he'll be taking all the credit !

Of course he’ll take the credit for a decent window and well deserved imv.

Recruitment in the winter window is not the ideal time to sign any players but LJ has said he wants to ‘trade’ and has intimated another striker is on the shopping list.

Hopefully he’ll see the need for midfield cover with both Smith and Walsh injured - unless he feels Morrell is adequate cover. 

Whatever deals are in the pipeline it’ll be MA who does the negotiating....

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No probs 

Ironically - I think there’s been far more vocal and brutal vociferous than us

Makes me chuckle how much is aimed my way :yes:

If I see credit due , with LJ or anyone else , I’ll say so and say it as I see

Same for any concerns or criticisms 

You’re  never far away from being wrong about football, whatever your views, opinions ,  or stance 

Of course there are those who are more severe than us. I guess from your posts that you don't hate him like the terminology that some use. Just like me me, a burning desire for our club to be where it should be for the seventh or eighth largest English  city. In the Premier League, not as a right, but because we deserve to be there by our performances. And at my age, let it be sooner!

35 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Which was my initial answer - spin.

I thought about leaving it there - a one word post - but felt that would be churlish on a day when he and the team have done well and deserve a round of applause    

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

OE isn’t the only one who thinks the inexperienced Eisa should start...........what they don’t appreciate is the huge gulf in quality between the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. 

The Hudderfield game could be an opportunity to start him.

I think the question is . Why sign him then . He’s not a kid. Very inexperienced and a massive step up as you say . Just seems like a strange signing really . 

2 hours ago, DingleRed said:

Telling comment when he said he was focussed on coaching and leaving the recruitment process to MA and others. He would start to get involved later. Makes me think he has been trying to do everyone else's job, and not focussed on his own!

Makes me think he has given MA a wish list and will only get involved when the player(s) are close to agreeing terms

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think the question is . Why sign him then . He’s not a kid. Very inexperienced and a massive step up as you say . Just seems like a strange signing really . 

LJ did say that Eisa looks good in training but said that in the cameo of the Championship he ‘looked a little lost’. From that I concluded that he feels Eisa isn’t yet upto speed so a possible loan to a L1 outfit might be on the cards.

Personally I’d like see him given an opportunity against Huddersfield.

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Massive jump for him SSN Isthmian League to Championship in 2 1/2 years 

He has to be ‘raw’ at best

I like the potential signs merely from footage I’ve seen of him - he has looked lost in the few minutes we’ve seen him

Play him up top against Huddersfield with Famara,  and have a initial look to see if there’s some future in them as a pair

3 hours ago, CodeRed said:

What do we make of that?

I just listened on catch-up as there were a few comments on twitter about it.  Certainly could be taken as a little dig, or at least “it’s over to you MA”, and in true SL style getting his points in first.

Thought he seemed confident tonight too.  Good stuff.

3 hours ago, DingleRed said:

Telling comment when he said he was focussed on coaching and leaving the recruitment process to MA and others. He would start to get involved later. Makes me think he has been trying to do everyone else's job, and not focussed on his own!

Maybe, but let’s not forget Jamie Mac was brought in to ease the coaching burden on LJ to allow him to focus on recruitment.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly how it works. 

That’s not true, LJ doesn’t just give them a list, that’s not the only way it works, he hasn’t got time to come up with every player he wants looking at.  Some / Most players come out of the database, through the funnel and are then presented to LJ.  How many of them are realistic who knows.  That’s been the problem imho, you need a trained eye to spot a player.  LJ doesn’t have the bandwidth during the season to filter, filter again, etc.  I do accept that the database might throw up an unknown gem....but I think the summer recruitment was a bit more old school, tried and tested players in the main.

If I was being cynical I’d say how good is a database that comes up with a £1.5m answer 25 miles up the M5.  That’s no slur on Eisa, more the scenario.

Anyway, back to LJ - nice, positive interview.  A cohesive performance. @JonDolman During the MD Thread you asked why we went 4411 rather than 4141...and I said to get pressure on Huddlestone, appears LJ thought the same ?

Seriously though, LJ mentioned the gaps being too big between FBs and CBs....was Baker withdrawn because of that or an injury?  This is the first thread i’ve Read tonight....been entertaining!!

30 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Makes me think he has given MA a wish list and will only get involved when the player(s) are close to agreeing terms

My understanding is that MA heads up recruitment meetings with various inputs and LJ obviously a influential voice , on a regular basis where they discuss various potential targets that have emanated from various sources , look at analysts product etc etc 

LJ has said that he will discuss data and video clips with JMc and DH and ultimately they will Home in on their preferences , that may be in budget , have them watched , make their (ideal) choices , priorities , and it’s then over to MA to see if he can get us business within our budget , and for what we think the player is worth 

So, as  I understand it, you’re partly right but it’s nowhere near as simple as LJ merely giving MA a wish list

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Anyway, back to LJ - nice, positive interview.  A cohesive performance. @JonDolman During the MD Thread you asked why we went 4411 rather than 4141...and I said to get pressure on Huddlestone, appears LJ thought the same ?

Seriously though, LJ mentioned the gaps being too big between FBs and CBs....was Baker withdrawn because of that or an injury?  This is the first thread i’ve Read tonight....been entertaining!!

Baker was replaced because he had a twinge in his calf and LJ didn’t want to risk the twinge worsening and restricting his mobility. 

He said as much post match.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Baker was replaced because he had a twinge in his calf and LJ didn’t want to risk the twinge worsening and restricting his mobility. 

Ta, was that on Radio Bristol or club interview?

Poor old Baker.  Gets no luck with his body.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My understanding is that MA heads up recruitment meetings with various inputs and LJ obviously a influential voice , on a regular basis where they discuss various potential targets that have emanated from various sources , look at analysts product etc etc 

LJ has said that he will discuss data and video clips with JMc and DH and ultimately they will Home in on their preferences , that may be in budget , have them watched , make their (ideal) choices , priorities , and it’s then over to MA to see if he can get us business within our budget , and for what we think the player is worth 

So, as  I understand it, you’re partly right but it’s nowhere near as simple as LJ merely giving MA a wish list

Well. Maybe this is the reason why we fail on so many of our signings. 

MA, certainty to me, is not qualified to assess players. SL appears to have a mental block on setting up decent scouting systems.   It seems the manager hasn’t an input until a late stage. So we rely on stats and analysis.... which will tell part of a story but is very one-dimensional. 

Just reinforces my belief that we need an experienced Director of Football. Who will actually watch players on the pitch before we commit. 

3 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Well. Maybe this is the reason why we fail on so many of our signings. 

MA, certainty to me, is not qualified to assess players. SL appears to have a mental block on setting up decent scouting systems.   It seems the manager hasn’t an input until a late stage. So we rely on stats and analysis.... which will tell part of a story but is very one-dimensional. 

Just reinforces my belief that we need an experienced Director of Football. Who will actually watch players on the pitch before we commit. 

In fairness M2S MA will refute totally that he assesses players

He will say he heads up the meetings as it’s his job to ensure all the recruiting tools and the information is in place to discuss the various , options, merits and possibilities 

I know there are suggestions on here that he has too much say in decisions - whether there’s any truth in that , I havnt a clue

but the above is how he and Lee repeatedly explain the recruitment process

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Doesn't Baker always get injured just before Christmas? ??

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ did say that Eisa looks good in training but said that in the cameo of the Championship he ‘looked a little lost’. From that I concluded that he feels Eisa isn’t yet upto speed so a possible loan to a L1 outfit might be on the cards.

Personally I’d like see him given an opportunity against Huddersfield.

52 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Massive jump for him SSN Isthmian League to Championship in 2 1/2 years 

He has to be ‘raw’ at best

I like the potential signs merely from footage I’ve seen of him - he has looked lost in the few minutes we’ve seen him

Play him up top against Huddersfield with Famara,  and have a initial look to see if there’s some future in them as a pair

He might not be near a League start, but there have been times at the end of games where Fam looks out on his feet. Surely he is worth 10 minutes at the end of a game when your CF is blowing out of his arse. If LJ doesn't trust him with 10-15 mins what's the point of having him on the bench. I think I've only seen him twice and only cameos, so I'm no expert, but what's the point of a sub if he's never given the chance? He has looked lively and had a trick when I've seen him, and those 10 mins at the end of a game , a fresh pair of legs could be crucial . 

I wonder if Eisa will get a run in the up coming cup game, I would imagine the club has budgeted for a cup run of sorts and Huddersfield would be seen as beatable. Makes me think he may put a stronger team out. I hope  he does get a run, I want to see what we've got there, good chance that Adalukan will start  though I would have thought.

Archived