IGNORED

Nailsea Ramblings

BigTone

52 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Loved the old barn , sit inside by the fire in the winter, and have a bbq and take the kids to the secret garden as I believe it was called ? 

Just a door in the wall , go through it into a big beer garden.  Kids used to play out there.   

Bit of mystery as to why it closed. Shame - it was nice place.

The real problem in Nailsea is common to all similar towns - lack of footfall. My favourite cafe closed down on Friday after 5 years because of it. Before that a lovely Italian deli and cafe closed down for the same reason.

Lots of empty shops and those there are struggle. The factory shop also closed down.

If you need clothes  or decent shoes  then it’s trip into either Briz or Weston - or buy online.

Nailsea is becoming a ghost town.

There are a couple of decent pubs. Royal Oak and the Sawyers are ok but if I fancy a pint I tend to use the Mizzymead club.

What the place could use is a M&S with a food department. That might attract more punters into town but  nationally M&S are closing shops all over.

6 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

How is the Old Farmhouse doing these days? Had a few Sundays lunches there in the past but not so sure about returning after they poisoned a load of punters recently.

Yep, it’s still going but mostly a food pub these days. Under new management I think.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

The real problem in Nailsea is common to all similar towns - lack of footfall. My favourite cafe closed down on Friday after 5 years because of it. Before that a lovely Italian deli and cafe closed down for the same reason.

Lots of empty shops and those there are struggle. The factory shop also closed down.

If you need clothes  or decent shoes  then it’s trip into either Briz or Weston - or buy online.

There are a couple of decent pubs. Royal Oak and the Sawyers are ok but if I fancy a pint I tend to use the Mizzymead club.

What the place could use is a M&S with a food department. That might attract more punters into town but  nationally M&S are closing shops all over.

I always drank in the Sawyers as the Choak has always been a glorified youth club. White Lion was ok as was the Butchers

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The site of Mizzymead Club was part of Mr Wyatts farm when we lived in Wyatts Close. It was also the "edge of town" at the time.

I used to shop in the Somerfield store in Nailsea before I moved to Swindon in 1997. That was because I got 10% off because I worked in the head office in Whitchurch at the time. 

I remember having a beer in the Royal Oak from time to time which was ok. I’ve also had a drink in the Old Farmhouse too on a couple of occasions. 

I don’t think I’ve been there at all since leaving Bristol.........

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I used to shop in the Somerfield store in Nailsea before I moved to Swindon in 1997. That was because I got 10% off because I worked in the head office in Whitchurch at the time. 

I remember having a beer in the Royal Oak from time to time which was ok. I’ve also had a drink in the Old Farmhouse too on a couple of occasions. 

I don’t think I’ve been there at all since leaving Bristol.........

There’s bugger all in Nailsea to attract anyone from outside the local area.

I used to work a day a week in Yate - a mirror image of Nailsea. I haven’t been back there since I retired 8 years ago. Nothing there I want to see.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There’s bugger all in Nailsea to attract anyone from outside the local area.

I used to work a day a week in Yate - a mirror image of Nailsea. I haven’t been back there since I retired 8 years ago. Nothing there I want to see.

Yate is on the up, double the population, a cinema, multiple restaurants chain and independents, mahoosive Tesco like, big shopping centre.

Nothing like Nailsea.

Have great memories of Nailsea and Backwell, use to drink in the glasshouse, butcher's, and queens head, even went to the friendship for an evening when City use to have meeting with the fans, player's and management turned up, the Rising Sun in Backwell was a strong City pub, shame it sounds as if it's gone down hill, Still see the only gas head i know who lived in Nailsea, now lives 5 mins away from gods ground 

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

A beautiful old pier, bracing area to walk by the sea, several good pubs.

What more do you want?

I live in Nailsea and seen Clevedon Pier dozens of times but I don’t t visit pubs over there that often. It’s not exactly local...

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yate is on the up, double the population, a cinema, multiple restaurants chain and independents, mahoosive Tesco like, big shopping centre.

Nothing like Nailsea.

It changed in 8 years then. They did have a large Tesco tho along with a Morrison’s. Used to buy lunch in one of them.

The centre was almost identical to Nailsea as well. Not quite as many charity shops tho.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I live in Nailsea and seen Clevedon Pier dozens of times but I don’t t visit pubs over there that often. It’s not exactly local...

It's not local to me at all. I just enjoy going to the seafront, always have done.

Unpretentious day out, good walk, chips and the Moon and Sixpence, Little Harp and Royal Oak all worth a visit.

6 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I have never been to Nailsea but I know a lot of City players have lived there over the years. Today it's Portishead and Harbourside I guess..

Do you know about any ex. City players who lives in Nailsea/have lived in Nailsea?

Cheers

Tommy

Sure tin man did 

Archived