IGNORED

LJ on press last season & strength in depth this time

Olé

The collapse last season and inability to maintain the press / high tempo football has been discussed to death since last season but I'm not sure I've ever heard LJ speak so clearly about it.

Well worth a listen. Starts at 3:35 but I've tagged the time so it should start from that. Thanks to City for starting to publish post-match press conferences and not just the direct LJ interviews.

It was one of my favourite moments as a Bristol City fan, don't get me wrong - but the cup run ruined our season. It really did. We didn't have a huge squad and a lot of them weren't good enough so we couldn't rotate a lot.

I said pre Huddersfield game I wouldn't mind playing the kids and losing, might be a negative view on it but don't really want another cup run ruining our season. I think a lot of people still don't understand the margins at the higher levels of football, there's a reason sport science is becoming a huge industry, every 90 minutes matters.

We're odds on favourites to beat Bolton and go to the next round too, but I hope it ends there. Our main goal as a club has to be the Prem and we have put ourselves in a wonderful position to get into the play offs.

39 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

It was one of my favourite moments as a Bristol City fan, don't get me wrong - but the cup run ruined our season. It really did. We didn't have a huge squad and a lot of them weren't good enough so we couldn't rotate a lot.

I said pre Huddersfield game I wouldn't mind playing the kids and losing, might be a negative view on it but don't really want another cup run ruining our season. I think a lot of people still don't understand the margins at the higher levels of football, there's a reason sport science is becoming a huge industry, every 90 minutes matters.

We're odds on favourites to beat Bolton and go to the next round too, but I hope it ends there. Our main goal as a club has to be the Prem and we have put ourselves in a wonderful position to get into the play offs.

I look at it the other way. Our best run of the season by far came during the months of November and December, amidst all the euphoria of the Utd and City games. We've seen how quickly our form can tail off after a defeat - for the first half of last year it seemed every time we had a poor result we got another cup win to keep the momentum going. Don't think we'd ever have been as high in the first place if we'd have lost at Watford, say.

I'm not suggesting there isn't an element of truth to what you're saying, but I think it's very much a double-sided coin.

In general, we have adopted a less physically intensive style of play, plus we've got more squad depth. I think a cup run could be a very good thing.

We all love a cup run, my only concern is if we get to the semi final and we are also in the top 6. Mentality of the squad in going for promotion may be disturbed by the glory of a potential FA cup final

A nice situation to have if it did happen

If we do beat Bolton but then go on and continue our winning run in the league then LJ must start to think about play offs first and the first choice players and the cup for the back up players or risk blowing up again 

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

We all love a cup run, my only concern is if we get to the semi final and we are also in the top 6. Mentality of the squad in going for promotion may be disturbed by the glory of a potential FA cup final

If we do beat Bolton but then go on and continue our winning run in the league then LJ must start to think about play offs first and the first choice players and the cup for the back up players or risk blowing up again 

The cup run is a great way to keep fringe players happy. Especially if they get through, play the likes of Morrell, Taylor, Eisa, Adelukan. 

What I do like is defensively we have championship back line as cover with JDS/Kelly, Baker, Wright, Pisano/Hunt with Maenpaa or Fielding between the sticks.

Even with a ‘second’ string team out we should beat Bolton.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

On the Leeds spying:

"We did spot someone in the bushes but Dean Holden started speaking Spanish to them and then we sent Brian Tinnion over with a paintball gun!"

"Seriously!?!"

Jesus wept. 

No, not seriously..! It’s a ******* joke...!!

4 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The cup run is a great way to keep fringe players happy. Especially if they get through, play the likes of Morrell, Taylor, Eisa, Adelukan. 

What I do like is defensively we have championship back line as cover with JDS/Kelly, Baker, Wright, Pisano/Hunt with Maenpaa or Fielding between the sticks.

Even with a ‘second’ string team out we should beat Bolton.

Certainly for Bolton, LJ could quite easily pick a strong side without taking it for granted.  Not saying it will be this but something like this:

O’Leary

Wright, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva

Weimann, Brownhill, Morrell, Eliasson

Palmer

Diedhiou

Thats 5 changes, means we don’t risk Pisano (with Hunt out).  Means Baker gets another chance to build a partnership with Kalas whilst Webster out.  Morrell means Pack gets a rest, Ditto Eliasson with O’Dowda.  You could easily do the same with Weimann, but I think with Palmer starting (for Paterson), there’s a chance to break his goal duck.

Bench opportunities for Eisa, Adelakun, Kelly, COD, Pack, Pisano and Frankie.

Pretty strong with the injury list, and also a decent rest until the Swansea game.

52 minutes ago, INCRED said:

This exact same arguement came up last season, people were actually calling for us to play fringe players in the Semi believe it or not!! 

Dropping players for big one off games is likely to have a negitive impact upon what you are trying to achieve. LJ used to be a player so he would understand this.

2 hours ago, bcfctim said:

I look at it the other way. Our best run of the season by far came during the months of November and December, amidst all the euphoria of the Utd and City games. We've seen how quickly our form can tail off after a defeat - for the first half of last year it seemed every time we had a poor result we got another cup win to keep the momentum going. Don't think we'd ever have been as high in the first place if we'd have lost at Watford, say.

I'm not suggesting there isn't an element of truth to what you're saying, but I think it's very much a double-sided coin.

In general, we have adopted a less physically intensive style of play, plus we've got more squad depth. I think a cup run could be a very good thing.

Agreed. The cup run by itself didn’t ruin our season.

the defeat against wolves followed by the Villa thumped knocked our confidence.

they then ran City close over 180 minutes and that must have been mentally shattering.

some (relatively) poor results in and around that time really rocked us, culminating in THAT 3-3 draw with sunderland and we just couldn’t turn it around from there.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It was obvious to many last season why it happened...and LJ has confirmed what many of us said.

He did not purchase enough players that could run 12k in a game. Man City and Liverpool players are expected to do that and be great on the ball. Bit of an ask for City but if you want to press high and aggressive the players have to have the ability. 

As an aside Man City Bernardo Silva recently ran 13.7 km in ninety minutes.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

He did not purchase enough players that could run 12k in a game. Man City and Liverpool players are expected to do that and be great on the ball. Bit of an ask for City but if you want to press high and aggressive the players have to have the ability. 

As an aside Man City Bernardo Silva recently ran 13.7 km in ninety minutes.

Read that Arsenal in there last game ran the most of any team since Opta stats started.

TBF to LJ, if we hadn't had so many injuries, it may have been a bit different. And as we all know, the Kent and Diony loans didn't work out for us.

Learning curve...as he has now said...you need a strong squad to do well in this league and be able to replace like for like.

8 hours ago, bcfctim said:

The Cup run was a double edged sword I think- as well as a delight but in terms of performances.

Beating PL sides- and steadily better performances too by us- that sends confidence soaring and momentum too. Keeps morale high and rising, but the persistent injuries were the downside- persistent injuries, medium to long term ones at that hindered the ability to rotate and the huge effort of that Cup run- especially the games v the Manchester clubs- played a part undoubtedly.

It's highly likely we'll beat Bolton anyway, then we would have a decision to make as to how seriously we take the Cup going forward. One thing we do not want is a replay though!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Cup run was a double edged sword I think- as well as a delight but in terms of performances.

I don't look back to last season with regret - the cup run was fantastic fun and I wouldn't change a moment (except perhaps that last minute goal at the Etihad !!).

Looking at the teams that went up - Fulham were much more consistent than us (they are struggling) and Wolves showed what type of player you needed to be competitive (we were never in the league of agent contacts).

If we had gone up we would probably be fighting with Huddersfield and Burnley this season for scraps.

I think last year (if we genuinely use the learning) could be invaluable - LJ gives this impression and helped us hopefully create a more consistent blueprint - loved the comments about building competition from the back.

12 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

.....we have put ourselves in a wonderful position to get into the play offs.

Thank you sooooo much for calling them the ‘play offs’ - their official name....I know merlot does this to me but when @Robbored constantly calls them the “pray offs” it makes me want to play ‘Going Underground’ by The Jam and dive headlong through a plate glass window.....

....and if that isn’t bad enough he calls Gary Johnson ‘senior’ and Lee Johnson ‘junior’ - he obviously hasn’t worked out that there are less letters to type if you call them ‘Gary’ and ‘Lee’ or even ‘GJ’ and ‘LJ’ - but his on-going use of ‘senior’ and ‘junior’ just makes me wants to eat four Cream Crackers really fast so I can neck two pints of Stella in double-quick time to try and get my tongue back to normal....it’s THAT annoying....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Thank you sooooo much for calling them the ‘play offs’ - their official name....I know merlot does this to me but when @Robbored constantly calls them the “pray offs” it makes me want to play ‘Going Underground’ by The Jam and dive headlong through a plate glass window.....

....and if that isn’t bad enough he calls Gary Johnson ‘senior’ and Lee Johnson ‘junior’ - he obviously hasn’t worked out that there are less letters to type if you call them ‘Gary’ and ‘Lee’ or even ‘GJ’ and ‘LJ’ - but his on-going use of ‘senior’ and ‘junior’ just makes me wants to eat four Cream Crackers really fast so I can neck two pints of Stella in double-quick time to try and get my tongue back to normal....it’s THAT annoying....

The play offs are the pray offs. All four sets of fans pray that their club will win through.

Having had two Johnson’s as manager Senior (GJ) and Junior (LJ) seem quite appropriate acronyms to me.

Archived