IGNORED

Semenyo - Unnecessary Pressure

Lew-T

With the way this week has gone, it looks as though Semenyo has been recalled to provide serious back up in a play off push. If this is the case, I think it’s a poor decision by the club.

The lad has been doing very well in League 2, so why interrupt his rhythm? He has just turned 19! Not only is it a massive risk to us, he’s more than likely to be on the bench for the remainder of the season.

It would have been more plausible to bring in an experienced proven forward on a short term deal. Then Semenyo can carry on with his development, playing regular football and we have a better chance of a play off place.

It just seems like there is now unnecessary pressure on the lad. 

I have to agree. He has a lot of talent but experience is what we need now. Since Aaron Wilbraham left we have not had the cover that he provided. Players who can make a difference at certain times of the game, particularly closing out tight games. This is another example of the club trying to avoid paying high transfer costs and wages. It is not about throwing cash around in an inflated market but we know from last season what can happen if you don't invest. Maybe we will see a surprise before the window shuts. 

If the boy apparently would like to go to Chelsea then I assume the pressure of playing for little old Bristol City shouldn’t be too much for him. If it is then that puts a big question mark against his potential.

If the coaches think that he is ready then why not. He jumped ahead of McCoulsky and now Eisa seemingly,  so why not trust in the club. Of late they have not been doing a bad job of bringing through young talented players.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Should we have not played Kelly too? Should we have not signed Tammy?

Both have which have started at a higher level than league 2..

Whereas this lad has only experienced 6 months of the basement.

18 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Agree Eisa was scoring in the same division as Sememyo yet when we brought him in we deemed him not ready for championship football yet... Not sure how this will be any different. Really hope it does work out but seems a needless risk.

The difference I suspect is Semenyo has done the business against Leicester and Boro...

5 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

If the boy apparently would like to go to Chelsea then I assume the pressure of playing for little old Bristol City shouldn’t be too much for him. If it is then that puts a big question mark against his potential.

If the coaches think that he is ready then why not. He jumped ahead of McCoulsky and now Eisa seemingly,  so why not trust in the club. Of late they have not been doing a bad job of bringing through young talented players.

Sound pretty bitter about that. 

If a club like Chelsea come in, it doesn’t automatically make them a star player. 

His contract expires in the summer doesn't it? Perhaps we think we may get more through tribunal by playing him in the championship for half a season then Chelsea are offering, and leaving him in league 2 wouldn't help the tribunal fee.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No I think he has 18 months. Hoping we have year option on that too as we do with most contracts.

His signing announcement says contract till summer 2019, the piece on our site about him joining newport on loan said nothing about a contract extension and hitc article says it expires this summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/21/tt-report-bristol-city-seek-2m-fee-for-antoine-semenyo/

Edit - whichever it is if he's not signing a new contract then he may as well be with us if we need him, just winding down the contract if he's out on loan.

Just trust the club with his future. They've done ok so far and whatever decision has been made I'm sure it was made with a lot of thought.

3 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Shit business by the club again, I’ll be amazed if we’re aplauding the club in a months time....

You really are a miserable sod !

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was that when he signed his first pro contract? He signed a new deal when he went to Newport. I have heard people saying end of next season but not sure if they are right or not.

Can't find any article about signing a new contract anywhere online, we usually say in their loan announcements that they've signed a new deal but Semenyo's says nothing of it. @Davefevs when have you got his contract expiry as on your spreadsheet?

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The difference I suspect is Semenyo has done the business against Leicester and Boro...

Yeh thought I read somewhere, maybe on McGregor's twitter, that Flint put in a good word about Semenyo after that Boro game. Pack said he had spoken to Flint about how the boy was to play against in a competitive game.  Think we can assume he will have passed that on to Tinnion and Johnson. Flint is literally the type of defender he's gonna have to beat over the next few months, so if he reckoned he was ready then I guess it's as a good a recommendation as any.

Yeh here it is.

Firstly it’s to allow Mo to go out on loan I would imagine. Secondly, maybe it’s a indicator that there is a pathway to the first team here now & it’s upto him to take his chance when it presents himself. Thirdly, does it not increase the chances of him signing a new contract? Does it add pressure to him, personally think he should thrive on it. We’re not asking him to be our main man, potentially asking him to apply pressure to those ahead of him. COYR 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am absolutely sure I heard someone in an interview say it. Think it was Tinnion on radio Bristol. I thought his contract was going to be up at the end of this season until I heard that it was extended. Just to add to that, Ashton said recently we always get these young players locked down with a new deal before sending them out on loan.

I remember this quote as well, but it would be very strange for us to not announce it. Nothing comes up on a google search about a new contract anywhere.

55 minutes ago, Selred said:

I think Semenyo has been recalled to allow Eisa go out on loan.

Therefore he should be seen as a 3rd choice back up. 

If Fammy gets injured I expect Taylor or Weimann to play down the middle really. 

What I don’t get is why is Semenyo ready for championship football but Eisa isn’t? Eisa has achieved more at League Two level than Semenyo who was developing nicely at Newport County.

Still, a great opportunity for Semenyo and I don’t think the pressure will be a burden

22 minutes ago, hodge said:

Can't find any article about signing a new contract anywhere online, we usually say in their loan announcements that they've signed a new deal but Semenyo's says nothing of it. @Davefevs when have you got his contract expiry as on your spreadsheet?

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am absolutely sure I heard someone in an interview say it. Think it was Tinnion on radio Bristol. I thought his contract was going to be up at the end of this season until I heard that it was extended. Just to add to that, Ashton said recently we always get these young players locked down with a new deal before sending them out on loan.

When he signed from SGS in Sept 2017, he signed a 2 year deal.

He signed another deal this summer for another 2 years, so expires next summer (2020)...18 months left.  No idea about year option, but it seems all contracts at the mo’ contain that.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

When he signed from SGS in Sept 2017, he signed a 2 year deal.

He signed another deal this summer for another 2 years, so expires next summer (2020)...18 months left.  No idea about year option, but it seems all contracts at the mo’ contain that.

Fair enough do you remember where you saw the news about the extension? Can't find it anywhere

So Lloyd Kelly aged early 20's...only played Academy then put into our first team is ok...but Semenyo...20 next week, played men's footy at Bath and 21 League and Cup games for Newport isn't?

Jay Da Silva only 20...played a few more League and Cup games than Semenyo  at Charlton on loan, before coming here.

If you are good enough...you are old enough.

You've only got to watch Semenyo play to see he's an outstanding talent and physically and mentally older than his footballing years.

Watching him against Boro, you can see he's good enough for this level.

Some players adapt quicker than others, regardless of age and experience.

Look at elliason as an example.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So Lloyd Kelly aged early 20's...only played Academy then put into our first team is ok...but Semenyo...20 next week, played men's footy at Bath and 21 League and Cup games for Newport isn't?

Jay Da Silva only 20...played a few more League and Cup games than Semenyo  at Charlton on loan, before coming here.

If you are good enough...you are old enough.

You've only got to watch Semenyo play to see he's an outstanding talent and physically and mentally older than his footballing years.

Watching him against Boro, you can see he's good enough for this level.

Kelly came into the picture at the start of a season, no real pressure and had time to settle in. Has represented England youth

Jay Da Silva has also represented England and Chelsea youth sections. 

I think it’s a risk that could have been easily avoided. Why bother bringing him back? Let him carry on and play football.

11 minutes ago, David Brent said:

What I don’t get is why is Semenyo ready for championship football but Eisa isn’t? Eisa has achieved more at League Two level than Semenyo who was developing nicely at Newport County.

Still, a great opportunity for Semenyo and I don’t think the pressure will be a burden

Quite there’s a few reasons,

1) Semenyo is match sharp, Eisa isn’t after injuries.

2) Semenyo rejoining shows the pathway for young players. 

3) We can get more money from whatever club Semenyo joins if it goes to a tribunal, by playing him in the Championship. 

Archived