IGNORED

Norwich City v Bristol City Match Day 32

Septic Peg

43 minutes ago, Canary_Yellow said:

I’m back!

The vast majority of what I’ve read on here is very fair (a slightly barking mad match report aside ?). 

I thought it was a really good game between two good sides. Both will feel that the oppositions goals were avoidable, but I think in both cases that does a disservice to the opposition.

For me, where you went wrong was the tactics in the second half. Seemed to me the plan was to protect what you had and try and get a third on the break. Logical given the strength of your defence, but once we pin a team in we’re relentless and we’re pretty decent at breaking through the lines. I made a comment midweek that I can’t see many teams getting a shit house 1-0 win against us (famous last words!).

i think you needed to be a bit braver and go for it. It was clear in my mind at 2-1 that the next goal would be decisive. I don’t mean go gung ho, just keep pressing up the pitch and put us under more pressure. The tactics of containment and counter were right, just thought you focussed on the containment bit a little too much.

anyway, as I said yesterday, I thought you were the best side we’d played in the last 6 months or so other than sheffield United.

yesterday was one of those days where with some luck you could have won; I didn’t think it was a pen (still don’t) but had it been given...or had you got a breakaway and got the third to make it 3-1 that would have been that....

good of luck rest of the season, i’ll be rooting for you. Us, Sheffield United and you would be my choice. I don’t like Sheffield United but makes a change from the usual suspects and you’ve got to respect what wilder is doing there.

If (when?) you go up do you think you`ll pretty much stick with what you have with maybe a few minor additions or push the boat out a la Fulham?

My view as an outsider is that you will do the former as you seem pretty well run and not given to taking huge risks. You seem to have a lot of good, young hungry players who will relish the challenge of the Premier League and I think you will do OK if you largely stick with and trust them.

45 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

If (when?) you go up do you think you`ll pretty much stick with what you have with maybe a few minor additions or push the boat out a la Fulham?

My view as an outsider is that you will do the former as you seem pretty well run and not given to taking huge risks. You seem to have a lot of good, young hungry players who will relish the challenge of the Premier League and I think you will do OK if you largely stick with and trust them.

If we go up, plenty of football to be played, so definitely not assuming anything, we’ll make a few additions and stick with what we’ve got.

im sure we’d look to keep doing what we’re doing and buy young players with resale value. We got into a mess last time spending big money on players like Naismith! Fortunately we also signed Maddison, his sale has kept the wolves from the door.

On 23/02/2019 at 18:19, 1960maaan said:

Just guessing, but I think that although he 'went for it ' a bit he didn't want gunging ho ! 
I think he sees Watkins doing what Weimann has been doing, a sort of defensive winger role. Gave a bit of solidity and still had a mind on defence.

Yeah,  that's a good point.  Still think too soon for Watkins though -  chasing the game,  he's been out injured a while..didn't think was the right sub at that time- maybe keep Weimann wider, or keep Paterson on. Easy to express doubts in hindsight I suppose. 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Young (Private!!) Godfrey might have to get past Adam Webster for that England cap ?

Well its always great to see players leave Ipswich for well below their market value and then fulfill their potential, and the more good England prospects the better in my eyes. 

Do you understand how amazing it feels when Jordan Rhodes scores an injury time winner for Norwich, after Roy Keane sold him for £350k to Huddersfield, with Ipswich currently bottom of the league with no strikers who can score goals, having failed to beat us since 2009 (an entire decade), which actually happens to be the same year that Ipswich sold Rhodes for a pittance ?

By the way, I have to say..... you look far too good to be the current owners of Marley Watkins, giving us £1m for him must be a black mark on Johnson's.... always looked like the Conference National was more his level when he pulled on our shirt, has he been equally as shite for you? 

12 hours ago, pillred said:

you won't be.

I am at the point where I'm seeing automatic as highly likely, but I've always found that getting cocky / a bit over-confident is a good way of making a tit out of yourself.... luckily we aren't one of those teams which tends to get in great positions and then **** it up like Derby and Leeds. We're tend to be either shit for an entire season or good for an entire season.... and we seem to have so much depth of quality in most areas of the pitch, can't even see an injury crisis messing us up now. 

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Ironically we seemed to do better in our sustained period of Premier League football (three seasons between 2011 to 2014) when buying players like Howson and Snodgrass from the Championship than we did when we started getting flash and throwing money at Dutch Internationals from overseas (e.g. Leroy Fer and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel). We went backwards after spending big money, so I personally hope we remain thrifty. 

6 hours ago, NorwichGeezer said:

Well its always great to see players leave Ipswich for well below their market value and then fulfill their potential, and the more good England prospects the better in my eyes. 

Do you understand how amazing it feels when Jordan Rhodes scores an injury time winner for Norwich, after Roy Keane sold him for £350k to Huddersfield, with Ipswich currently bottom of the league with no strikers who can score goals, having failed to beat us since 2009 (an entire decade), which actually happens to be the same year that Ipswich sold Rhodes for a pittance ?

By the way, I have to say..... you look far too good to be the current owners of Marley Watkins, giving us £1m for him must be a black mark on Johnson's.... always looked like the Conference National was more his level when he pulled on our shirt, has he been equally as shite for you? 

Watkins is not easy on the eye, but in limited game time due to injury has shown bits of effectiveness, and scored two important goals. He isn’t gifted, but works hard and up until this season we have been soft, so I could see some logic. 

There was talk of a £3m in January last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Just in terms of the change in the second half Mclean said in his interview after the game that Farke instructed him to sit deeper alongside Trybull. That seems to be what changed it. Usually Vrancic or Leitner sit next to Trybull and play the playmaker role. I think in the first half Mclean was pushing too far forward which meant we didn;t have the usual outball from defence and it was leaving a hug gap for the likes of O'Dowda to exploit. He looks a cracking player by the way or does he just turn it on against us? Last 3 times we've played you he's caused us loads of problems.

Anyway as I said on another thread I thought you played well and looked a decent side and hope you can do us a favour by taking points off Shef U and Leeds, plus of course helping to give the sc*m another nudge on their way down to league 1!

Archived